Author Topic: WDTVLive 1.01.24 : New Firmware available  (Read 74122 times)

February 18, 2010, 10:36:07 AM
Reply #75

schnoid

any news about the pre-release Firmare.

I think "week" was just a typo. He meant probably early next month. ;D
Sorry... just a joke. I couldn't resist.

sadly you might be right.  :(  Was really hoping WD was gonna try to impress up and get their customers back. No offense Scott but I'm personally still telling everyone I know to wait 'til march for Popbox. I hope you guys can change my mind.

February 18, 2010, 12:02:04 PM
Reply #76

mesb

Anybody have problem with remote control with this firmware?

Already twice, when i saw movies and than goes to live365 radio listening, after few hours radio listening wdtv stops respond on remote control commands.
And it not hang, music still plays. Remote works too (i saw flashing lights via my phone camera) Only rebooting device allow it works again.

Never saw this problem on 1.01.17 firmware or when plays lots of movies one by one few hours.

February 18, 2010, 03:22:48 PM
Reply #77

Whoheart

sadly you might be right.  :(  Was really hoping WD was gonna try to impress up and get their customers back. No offense Scott but I'm personally still telling everyone I know to wait 'til march for Popbox. I hope you guys can change my mind.

Well, as I pointed out to someone else - reading what they write (not just what we hope), is that he said he hoped they could get a prerelease ready - that means they might not make it. Not that its a 100% certainty.

If they rush something out and it bricks everybodys devices people wouldn't like that either. And prerelease can mean "new bugs" as opposed to "fixed bugs".

Personally I don't think they dare release them towards the end of the weekend anymore (in case something goes wrong), so if we don't see something Monday/Tuesday I am personally assuming that there won't be any update that week.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 18, 2010, 04:43:27 PM
Reply #78

pitokhato

Well, as I pointed out to someone else - reading what they write (not just what we hope), is that he said he hoped they could get a prerelease ready - that means they might not make it. Not that its a 100% certainty.

If they rush something out and it bricks everybodys devices people wouldn't like that either. And prerelease can mean "new bugs" as opposed to "fixed bugs".

Personally I don't think they dare release them towards the end of the weekend anymore (in case something goes wrong), so if we don't see something Monday/Tuesday I am personally assuming that there won't be any update that week.

What is most frustrating is that if for any reason there is no hope to get any release of beta this week than at least 1 or 2 lines update from ScottWD will give us something to look forward. 

When there is no official update from WD, you see comments like this resulting in nothing but few more UNHAPPY owners of WDTV Live.  Products like this are not advertised by any manufacturer and it gets all its publicity through various web sites (Thanks to Google).  This media can also do lots of damage to suppliers particularly when there are lots of other choices.

My comment earlier in this same topic that most of the owners of WDTV Live have option of returning their units to retailers because retailers usually do not make any fuss even if you return the product after their return policy period as long as you buy something else. Most of the retailers really care for their customers and hope to get more and more repeat business from same happy customers. Lots of us are waiting for Popbox coming next month and I am sure they will exchange it for WDTV Live if no satisfactory FW upgrade is released in time.  Yes, it is pressure but thatís reality in Electronics industry.

So WDTV team, please give us some update on next big release.

Thanks

February 18, 2010, 09:23:52 PM
Reply #79

III

as far as this new release goes, i just wanna know what they're thinking and doing behind the scenes over there at WD in regards to us. I'm personally just being patient with this whole thing mainly because SO FAR the only two things i would really out of this new release are for the audio/video sync/stutte issues to be fixed, mainly for the mkv's, as i just tend to put all my mp4's in mkv containers so that i dont have those loose sub files here and there. I think thats their biggest issue..or at least one of them. I currently don't stream via anything but my external 1.5 tb thats directly connected to the live, so there's a whole spectrum of things that i'm not dealing with. But i know i will one day, and there's loads of other people on here with more complicated set ups and differently encoded videos in their collection that would LOVE to not have to "fix" something more often than not when trying to play a video that seems to play PERFECTLY fine on the cpu.

But i agree with most, i honestly can't remember the last time a player of any sort had so much convolution in regards to their product quality/usablility. I honestly think in the almost HALF a year that the live has been out, they really should have come out with loads more updates than they have. I mean, it's been 5 months for christ sake.

The other thing i would want is for the netflix feature to be added but i HIGHLY doubt that that'll be included....not even convinced that they're really even thinking about adding it. Hence why i'm amped about the popbox, but if the live has taught me anything, it's to WAIT a while before jumping the gun on these media players. But still, i'll be getting the popbox one day or another, if at least for their netflix capability. And once baseball season starts, if there's the ability to add mlb plug ins, then sign me up.

February 18, 2010, 09:51:42 PM
Reply #80

Whoheart

Well the popbox is showing advertisment from third parties, and I don't want that - however I agree it probably is a big problem for WD that they don't have someone communicating with the angry natives - it is odd that someone higher up in the organization doesn't understand that
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 19, 2010, 04:48:12 PM
Reply #81

MatthewS

Popbox and Dlink Boxee Box are going to p*ss all over the WDTV Live unless WD adds some impressive bug free features real soon!

IMHO the department responsible for the WDTV fiasco should be closed and probably will be once the bean counters realise its a failure. Serves them right for rushing out the buggy WDTV before XMAS to cash in on the holiday season.  Not to mention the thousands of bricked units as well, just freaking unbelievable!

I will give the WDTV Live one more chance (firmware update) before I purchase something else.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:51:34 PM by MatthewS »
Regards MatthewS

February 19, 2010, 05:11:25 PM
Reply #82

dribbller1

I'm with MatthewS on this..... I really believe that there will be big things in the next update and I will be waiting patiently. However if I'm let down I also will look for a new device.

But as I said I think WD will redeem themselves and give us back our faith :) Why do I believe I hear you ask... well see this post I made about whats in review at WD..... If this stuff gets implemented ill be wrapped :)

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=4870.0  

February 20, 2010, 04:12:53 AM
Reply #83

Sorna

My comment earlier in this same topic that most of the owners of WDTV Live have option of returning their units to retailers because retailers usually do not make any fuss even if you return the product after their return policy period as long as you buy something else. Most of the retailers really care for their customers and hope to get more and more repeat business from same happy customers. Lots of us are waiting for Popbox coming next month and I am sure they will exchange it for WDTV Live if no satisfactory FW upgrade is released in time.  Yes, it is pressure but thatís reality in Electronics industry.

I am just curious as I am not from US. Is this true? Can you return a product after 1,2 months of its purchase. What do the retailers do with it. Do they sell it to other people (if this is the case I am happy that I am not shopping in US).

In Malaysia it is very difficult to return items once you purchased it. I am happy with WDTV live, but I do have other things I would be more than happy to return if I had the possibilty.

-Sorna

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:18:10 AM by Sorna »

February 20, 2010, 03:09:21 PM
Reply #84

Whoheart

IMHO the department responsible for the WDTV fiasco should be closed and probably will be once the bean counters realise its a failure. Serves them right for rushing out the buggy WDTV before XMAS to cash in on the holiday season.  Not to mention the thousands of bricked units as well, just freaking unbelievable!

You could be exaggerating - I think for most people it does exactly what it promises on the box. Of course those with a problem are those most likely to flock to the boards.

February 20, 2010, 03:11:58 PM
Reply #85

pitokhato

I am just curious as I am not from US. Is this true? Can you return a product after 1,2 months of its purchase. What do the retailers do with it. Do they sell it to other people (if this is the case I am happy that I am not shopping in US).

In Malaysia it is very difficult to return items once you purchased it. I am happy with WDTV live, but I do have other things I would be more than happy to return if I had the possibilty.

-Sorna

Hi,

In North America, big Retailers like BestBuy, Costco and similar big chain stores have official return policy of 90 days.  These stores will also accept return without receipts but they will give you store credit for lowest price product was ever sold.  Thus you could return the product even after 90 days.  In fact I have returned stuff to both of above stores (BsetBuy and Costco) after 6 months for full credit.  These stores strongly believe in customers service and will almost do anything to keep customers happy.

Company like WD is also reputable company but so far they have not shown us any sign that they care for their customers.  I requested them earlier that if they are not ready with next big firm ware update, they should at least update here in this forum as to what is the latest staus, when can we expect and what new things will be added and what bugs will be fixed.  But it looks like WD team is just ignoring all the comments here and taking all of us for granted.  As someone mentioned here that he is not reccomanding this WDTV Live to any of his friends and most of us have pretty much same opinion.  I and most of others do like our WDTV live but we all looking for next bug free firm ware.  Well, I am going to buy Popbox next month and see its performance.  If I like it, I will return my WDTV Live, if I don't like Popbox, I will return it.  Returnig prodcut will not give me any "Ulcer" (as some senior member mentioned earlier) because returning product will take maximum 5 minues.  I am wasting almost 15 to 20 minutes everyday here in writing my comments.  Basically I vist this site to check for new FW and end up writting here becasue I am so frustrated.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:26:06 PM by pitokhato »

February 20, 2010, 03:26:03 PM
Reply #86

Whoheart

In North America, big Retailers like BestBuy, Costco and similar big chain stores have official return policy of 90 days.  These stores will also accept return without receipts but they will give you store credit for lowest price product was ever sold.  Thus you could return the product even after 90 days.  In fact I have returned stuff to both of above stores (BsetBuy and Costco) after 6 months for full credit.  These stores strongly believe in customers service and will almost do anything to keep customers happy.

Hm, doesn't sound like that good customer service if i'm the next guy in line and buys a device which could have seen serious use for 6 months.

February 20, 2010, 03:43:13 PM
Reply #87

pitokhato

Hm, doesn't sound like that good customer service if i'm the next guy in line and buys a device which could have seen serious use for 6 months.

No these strore are not cheap.  Returned products are never resold.  They just go back to manufacturers.  These big stores have very clear contracts with suppliers about defective products.  They can return defective products to suppliers any time.  Thats the only way they can do business with these big retailers. I know this for sure because I have contacts working in some senior management capacity. Second, almost everyone can figure it out from the condition of packaging that product was returned so even a blind customer will not buy the prodcut which was returned.  It looks like you have some personal interest in WD because all your comments are always in protecting interest of WD.  Just take example of this topic.  Almost every comment by others show that they have some issue with WD TV Live and thier FW and every comment from you is in support of the WD. It is OK, it is free world. If you work for WD you should protect interest of your employer.

February 20, 2010, 04:14:18 PM
Reply #88

hackman2007

You could be exaggerating - I think for most people it does exactly what it promises on the box. Of course those with a problem are those most likely to flock to the boards.

I agree. My box is doing exactly what I want (playing .mpg's, ISO's, etc). Only things I wish it had were dvd menu support and support for external optical drives.

I think some people don't realize that these firmware releases take time to code. It's not a magic "push the button and it's done" system. Everything has to be manually put in and careful testing has to be done.

Regardless I am curious to see what WD has up their sleeve. Even if that means I have to wait a bit for it. I would rather have a stable release than one that bricks it.

February 20, 2010, 08:00:14 PM
Reply #89

GuyWD

Sorry for the delay. We're trying to get this firmware out as soon as possible.