Author Topic: WDTVLive 1.01.24 : New Firmware available  (Read 50555 times)

February 13, 2010, 10:17:32 PM
Reply #60

Whoheart

Ok,

Three things :)

1. The WDTV Live DOES STILL REBOOT when acessing Youtube - though very rarely now - so that's something.

2:

Google/Youtube has some branding rules, it seems there are 3 levels of branding possible:

"YouTube Ready"
"YouTube Videos"
"Powered by YouTube"

This is the level of interface that the device supports - the top level is the "Powered by YouTube" - this is the one with most features.

The WDTV Live  supports the "YouTube Videos" level, you can see the Youtube logos all over the interface now - remember they told is they added logos to the interface to "comply with YouTube requirements"

3:

If you make an account on Youtube and upload a video, there is a setting called "Syndication", there are two options there:

"Yes, make this video available on mobile phones and TV."

or

"No, this video should not be available on mobile phones and TV."

Default is Yes, but people can chose No - and it appears the WDTV Live respects that setting (probably have no choice)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:18:07 AM by Whoheart »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 14, 2010, 03:33:15 AM
Reply #61

PARTyZAN

It's up to community to release a firmware that frees its users from lame restrictions now.

February 14, 2010, 04:41:19 AM
Reply #62

chuckie

I second that!

Half of my saved videos won't play anymore due to restrictions for yt videos on tv sets.

@WD: the ui and message translations (german in this case) are (still) just ridiculous! Shame on you!!!

February 14, 2010, 04:54:06 AM
Reply #63

rezmus

so i made some debug and problem is complicated.

in previous fw they were using public yt api and public methods to get video files, they had to parse watch page for token, do some magic to get to media link, most yt devs do it this way. prons were that they could play all videos regardless of restrictions and they could play any video quality (fmt map). cons were that it was more like hacking then authorized way to get media files streams and yt makes some changes from time to time to prevent it.

now they made a deal with yt and got private api, i haven't seen this api method anywhere yet. gdata requests are same as in public api, but there is one extra header X-GData-Device: device-id="id",data="signature", where signature is some hash calculated on query. what they get in response is xml feed with media objects (like in public api), but also with direct video links, so no more hacking to get video file. cons are that restricted videos come without video links (there are some restriction flags, but ignored). also mp4 video link that came with each media object is SD quality only.

there is not easy way to fix it. we could make some http/php proxy to gdata.youtube.com and strip media objects with restrictions or use old hacking way to get video links for this media objects that are restricted before feed them back to wdtv live.

February 14, 2010, 07:22:06 AM
Reply #64

MatthewS

Exactly, we were planning to have a more robust product update early in the year but these items took priority.  Now the fun begins -- We know what everone wants.  It's a HUGE list  ;D   Primary focus on the next product udpate is on the reported issues and a few little surprises.  But we also have the dev teams working on some of the cool stuff.

Great news!

I was very critical and p*ssed off at WD for the bugs in the WDTV Live. Just the fact that you have actually bothered to respond in this forum gives me hope that the WDTV Live problems might get fixed. 

Please keep up the communication with your customers, this is especially important when they have issues.
Regards MatthewS

February 15, 2010, 06:29:09 AM
Reply #65

pitokhato

Not a joke... had to take care of the Google/Youtube business relationship.  With that out of the way :) we have other things in the works.  It's amazing how a botched firmware update process can screw things up.  Put us back like 2 months from our plans!   We do appreciate everyone's patience. I have a major product release coming out soon which will focus on the core issues at hand.  The team is trying to get a pre-release (beta) to you guys early next week.  

-ScottWD

So the new week starts today (Monday, Feb 15th in North America).  According above quote from ScottWD, a Pre-release (beta) with all bug fixes and few surprises should be out either today or tomorrow (hey it says "early next week")

Looking forward to this great release.  Hope there will be clear instruictions about "Beta" part.

Thanks

February 15, 2010, 07:07:57 AM
Reply #66

Whoheart

Not a joke... had to take care of the Google/Youtube business relationship.  With that out of the way :) we have other things in the works.  It's amazing how a botched firmware update process can screw things up.  Put us back like 2 months from our plans!   We do appreciate everyone's patience. I have a major product release coming out soon which will focus on the core issues at hand.  The team is trying to get a pre-release (beta) to you guys early next week.  

-ScottWD

So the new week starts today (Monday, Feb 15th in North America).  According above quote from ScottWD, a Pre-release (beta) with all bug fixes and few surprises should be out either today or tomorrow (hey it says "early next week")

No, what he says - and you quoted - is that they hope to be able to get one out - but it could be longer (hell it could be next week or the week after that)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 15, 2010, 09:24:04 AM
Reply #67

skesler

What? Do you mean that the message that comes up is because people have flagged videos? ...

It has nothing to do with age.  It seems some (YouTube) content providers have flagged their videos so that they may not be displayed on a streaming device that is connected to a TV.  This is the 'Notice' that I am receiving when I try to playback my YouTube playlist (primarily music videos).  I have playlist on Youtube I can playback on a computer, but when I try to watch those video's on the WDTV Live, I get the notice that it can not be played on this device directly connected to a TV.

I suspect this is because of what YouTube is trying to do with copyrighted content to get advertisement revenue.  ie these videos are being hosted by YouTube and played on Vevo.com where they inject commercials after so many videos are played.

It would be nice if WDTV will ultimately add VEVO to the list of video providers, then we can watch these high quality music videos, and they can push their commercials out to us. 

You didn't think these videos were going to be free forever, did you?

February 15, 2010, 01:47:52 PM
Reply #68

Whoheart

You didn't think these videos were going to be free forever, did you?

Oh they will be, not just on youtube.

February 15, 2010, 03:01:44 PM
Reply #69

pitokhato

-ScottWD

So the new week starts today (Monday, Feb 15th in North America).  According above quote from ScottWD, a Pre-release (beta) with all bug fixes and few surprises should be out either today or tomorrow (hey it says "early next week")

No, what he says - and you quoted - is that they hope to be able to get one out - but it could be longer (hell it could be next week or the week after that)

It's OK.  They can take as long as they want.  Competition is not wiating for them.  Popbox is coming early next month.  People who have bought WD TV live in last 90 days have option of returning WDTV Live box and try Popbox.  Hey, it is Electonics and market/competition moves fast.  May be WD does not care.   Viewsonic just came out with new Media Player too.

Hope WDTV live owners do not have to go through trouble of returning their unit and buying competition product and new bug free FW with lots of new features come out sooner than later.  Even some kind of assurance will help.

Thanks

February 15, 2010, 06:45:22 PM
Reply #70

Whoheart

It's OK.  They can take as long as they want.  Competition is not wiating for them.  Popbox is coming early next month.  People who have bought WD TV live in last 90 days have option of returning WDTV Live box and try Popbox.

No thanks, i don't want to buy a device which puts advertising on my screen.

Hey, it is Electonics and market/competition moves fast.  May be WD does not care.

They do - he told you (unless you don't believe him of course).

Viewsonic just came out with new Media Player too.

Hope WDTV live owners do not have to go through trouble of returning their unit and buying competition product and new bug free FW with lots of new features come out sooner than later.  Even some kind of assurance will help.

If you keep that up you are going to get an ulcer ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:54:22 PM by Whoheart »

February 16, 2010, 03:41:34 AM
Reply #71

pitokhato

If you keep that up you are going to get an ulcer ;)

Your reaction gives me an impression that you do not like my comments.  I love the WDTV Live and just very eager to get an updated bug free Firm Ware.  WDTV has already realized that right from their original FW and all the way upto .11 release they have been just giving and adding more bugs.  Then release .12 comes out and ended up with its own big thread in forum because the reason known to the whole world.  Last 2 versions, .17 and .24 again did not give any new features except we lost HD video in YouTube.  Loosing HD video may be beyond their control but we never saw any explaination from WDTV that they were forced to remove HD because of their agreement with YouTube.  So after series of FW upgrades with nothing but issues, owners like me are bound to be eager to get a descent firm ware upgrade.

Again I like the product and thats why still waiting for upgrade.  Off course I and others have options of returning products without getting any Ulcer because retailers have no "Attitude" and they belive in Customer Service.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:46:43 AM by pitokhato »

February 16, 2010, 11:48:19 PM
Reply #72

bal2an

Exactly, we were planning to have a more robust product update early in the year but these items took priority.  Now the fun begins -- We know what everone wants.  It's a HUGE list  ;D   Primary focus on the next product udpate is on the reported issues and a few little surprises.  But we also have the dev teams working on some of the cool stuff.

-ScottWD

This is one thing (among others) that make me choose WD!!
Thank you Scott!! We know now that the dream is still alive  ;D
:)
bal2an

February 18, 2010, 01:27:23 AM
Reply #73

gerd

Hi ScottWD,

any news about the pre-release Firmare.

Regards
gerd

February 18, 2010, 04:43:50 AM
Reply #74

jago

any news about the pre-release Firmare.

I think "week" was just a typo. He meant probably early next month. ;D
Sorry... just a joke. I couldn't resist.