Author Topic: WDTVLive 1.01.24 : New Firmware available  (Read 74286 times)

February 12, 2010, 07:09:28 AM
Reply #45

Josheh

"Wants to auto upgrade but still scared i brick it !"

p.s. Scott, Cough OSD/Moviesheet changes  ;D haha, even if it's not official I'm sure someone will make one soon enough anyway.

Edit> Whats this crap I'm hearing about this new youtube bug thing ?

There is no youtube bug.

"This video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devices"

So glad I heard this before upgrading, I wish in the firmware information someone from WD had posted why this happens, what video's it mainly happens too etc etc, Because now once again it makes me not want to upgrade! I want to watch youtube as it says on the box, not "50% of youtube" A lot of people are reporting that only 50% of the videos work, the rest give that error, Could someone enlighten me on what this means, why they have it in place, and if it will get removed.... It's alright if its just videos not allowed in your country like if i was on my main PC.

It is not an error it is a message. Some (idiots) have flagged that their videos may not be displayed - if WD ignores that they could face a lawsuit - so they respect it. It is unlikely to change - though it would be handy if they could find a way to hide videos from the interface if you can't watch them anyway.

What? Do you mean that the message that comes up is because people have flagged videos? With normal youtube you get the choice to choose if you're over 18 and can then continue viewing it, Will not update if i can't view all youtube videos, that's stupid and still isn't clear on what on earth they flag them as or why we can't still view them.
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.

February 12, 2010, 08:46:59 AM
Reply #46

jkraus1

now that I have the new upgrade I am experiencing tremendous problem with video pausing every 10 minutes or so for severl minutes then restarting,  Can someone tell me how to "downgrade" the firmware and where to find the previous version?

February 12, 2010, 09:05:41 AM
Reply #47

PARTyZAN

Well, I'm a YT addict, and this release was a big downgrade for me.

1. I lost ability to play a large chunk of videos with that silly error message
2. It's funny that nobody mentioned it yet, but they removed "watch in HD if available" feature. So with .24, WDTV Live only plays YT videos in SD quality.

I hope someone comes up with a modified firmware, or something.

February 12, 2010, 10:34:58 AM
Reply #48

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
that's stupid and still isn't clear on what on earth they flag them as or why we can't still view them.
It's because Youtube changed the terms on what content media players can display or not. Complain to them.

Primary focus on the next product udpate is on the reported issues and a few little surprises.
Surprises? Like the one where SRT subtitle outlines suddenly are transparent making the subs unreadable? Thanks a bundle.

February 12, 2010, 02:16:56 PM
Reply #49

Friends4U

Well, I'm a YT addict, and this release was a big downgrade for me.

1. I lost ability to play a large chunk of videos with that silly error message
2. It's funny that nobody mentioned it yet, but they removed "watch in HD if available" feature. So with .24, WDTV Live only plays YT videos in SD quality.

I hope someone comes up with a modified firmware, or something.

Yes... saw that too, i was here to see if it was just me who saw this :)
Why is the HD gone for YT? is this one of the rules from YT?

Does anyone know where i can read the tems of YT where these rules are? so i can see what else is changed?
I thing i am going to roll back to the previous firmware... :(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:24:35 PM by Friends4U »

February 12, 2010, 02:56:47 PM
Reply #50

Whoheart

It is not an error it is a message. Some (idiots) have flagged that their videos may not be displayed - if WD ignores that they could face a lawsuit - so they respect it. It is unlikely to change - though it would be handy if they could find a way to hide videos from the interface if you can't watch them anyway.

What? Do you mean that the message that comes up is because people have flagged videos? With normal youtube you get the choice to choose if you're over 18 and can then continue viewing it, Will not update if i can't view all youtube videos, that's stupid and still isn't clear on what on earth they flag them as or why we can't still view them.

Someone puts up a clip, and puts certain restrictions on it - it can not be shown to certain countries for instance, and here is one that it can not be shown on TV. (Just like the WDTV tends to give the "i can't that type of file, check the manual" message even if its other errors, i guess you get the same youtube message regardless of the setting)
Perhaps CNN doesn't want you to view their clips on TV because that would be too much like watching the real CNN except without the commercials.

ScottWD said they had to take care of the "Youtube business relationship" - I read that to mean that the previous firmware implementation was no longer quite what Google expected of WD
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 10:23:21 PM by Whoheart »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 12, 2010, 09:38:50 PM
Reply #51

pitokhato

yes, all HD videos don't play in HD anymore.

WD team, please comment on this.  Is it YT forcing you to remove HD or is it some bug in new version?

February 13, 2010, 07:13:07 AM
Reply #52

mbryanr

Probably part of YT's new terms....that way they can start charging for HD.

February 13, 2010, 07:20:39 AM
Reply #53

mesb

Intresting thing with youtube.
If i paused some youtube video, buttons like stop, home even power button doesn't work.
Video must be unpaused only.

February 13, 2010, 02:35:26 PM
Reply #54

rezmus

can u point me to any video that cause this?

"This video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devices".

i will c what we can do about it.

February 13, 2010, 06:52:19 PM
Reply #55

Whoheart

can u point me to any video that cause this?

"This video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devices".

i will c what we can do about it.

Who "we" ? The users we can do nothing about it - apart from ripping it from youtube via other means, or using some hacked firmware.

But this one for instance:

hxttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipE_wOoTay4&feature=PlayList&p=880C701302ADD3DE&index=0

(If i insert it as a link the board embeds it as a video, also i had to insert an x in http)

On another note, I've noticed the old prerelease page for the original WDTV has been removed from the WD site - perhaps this is a precursor to new prerelease tests.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:49:00 PM by Whoheart »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 13, 2010, 07:34:15 PM
Reply #56

Armand

so, in the main, the "fix" and upgrade of this firmware is disabling of HD for Youtube?????

At the requests were ignored and the only action was to destroy one feature already present?

February 13, 2010, 08:38:27 PM
Reply #57

Josheh

Ok so let me get this straight..... This update has:

Removed the ability to view all youtube videos.
Removed the ability to watch in HD.

How is this an update? I'll just stick with original firmware and watch all the youtube video's I want, What can they do about that? :) haha.... But still, Nobody's clearly said what videos SHOW that error.....

Is it just the video's not viewable in your country? or is it other reasons why also?

Meh... I'd like to know why they wasn't really clear when they released the firmware on what main changes there was about the not being able to view all video's Kind of sneaky if you ask me, Glad i didn't upgrade now, And probably wont if it's disabling so many youtube videos.
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.

February 13, 2010, 09:25:24 PM
Reply #58

Whoheart

Ok so let me get this straight..... This update has:

Removed the ability to view all youtube videos.
Removed the ability to watch in HD.

How is this an update?

Well its a newer version of the firmware, that's an update ;)

I'll just stick with original firmware and watch all the youtube video's I want, What can they do about that? :) haha.... But still, Nobody's clearly said what videos SHOW that error.....

Well the one i posted a link to (hang on, it became embedded instead - gotta fix that) - try all the CNN  (the official ones, not clips ordinary people have uploaded)

Is it just the video's not viewable in your country? or is it other reasons why also?

Well if they are not viewable in your country they are not viewable in your country, but no these are clips you can watch in your browser but not on the tv because they are not allowed on the tv (presumably there is a licensing rule about this - it sounds as if WD is paying a fee to google to have youtube on this device)

February 13, 2010, 09:42:52 PM
Reply #59

rezmus

Who "we" ? The users we can do nothing about it - apart from ripping it from youtube via other means, or using some hacked firmware.

and what do u think i'm talking about? :P i don't care what they change till i can fix it myself.