Author Topic: WDTVLive 1.01.24 : New Firmware available  (Read 74244 times)

February 11, 2010, 03:06:07 PM
Reply #30

ScottWD

So ScottWD - can we summarize, just to know: Are the two issues that you resolved just now: 1.The update-process 2.The YouTube-Interface mandatory? And could we assume that the firmware had taken another way, if those issues hadn't shown up?

Exactly, we were planning to have a more robust product update early in the year but these items took priority.  Now the fun begins -- We know what everone wants.  It's a HUGE list  ;D   Primary focus on the next product udpate is on the reported issues and a few little surprises.  But we also have the dev teams working on some of the cool stuff.

-ScottWD

February 11, 2010, 05:04:13 PM
Reply #31

jridley

Just did the auto-update from 1.0.17 to 1.0.24 - and it basically made my unit useless.  (NOT - read on)

EDIT:  I solved the problem.  After updating, the unit could no longer reliably access my network shares.  In fact it couldn't see anything reliably but my laser printer.  I downgraded to 1.0.17 and had the same issue.  upgraded again, same issue.  Restore factory defaults, power cycle, reset router, same issue.

Finally, I unplugged the unit from power for 5 minutes.  When it came back up, it worked fine again.

This was kind of scaring me because I use the unit ONLY for playing video from windows shares - in fact I'd love it if there was an option to completely remove the YouTube, Music and Photo icons and other stuff I never use.

Anyway, it gave me a good scare but all's well that ends well.  Had I known this didn't do anything but YouTube enhancements I might have skipped it, though I guess it would just keep pestering me until I applied the update.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:57:12 PM by jridley »

February 11, 2010, 05:12:01 PM
Reply #32

Josheh

Hey, I keep wanting to upgrade my firmware to the newest non hack firmware obviously this one, Youtube is a pretty big thing for me, It might not be for others, but i enjoy it quite a lot so thank you for that update, And I'm pretty sure this forum and the others are only like 20% of people who own them, As i know 4 people locally who now own one of these and none of them use forums, So even if people on here are saying it's a worthless update blah blah I'm pretty sure you still made a lot of people happy Scott.

In fact, with some of the other media centers closing youtube support because of youtube not wanting them or what ever happened, It's a releif that you guys are working to keep them happy! It's not the most important aspect, But considerin I've gone out my way, "brought new ethernet for it, Accidently got my 4 year old account banned because it didn't work with the wdtv, I'd be a little peed off if the wdtv live lost youtube support.

Back on track though I'm worried if i upgrade my box will explode / bricked ???

If i do it, It'll be by online when you turn the thing on coming up saying "new firmware!" I'd update using that, But I have the standard out of the box firmware, Should i auto install it like that?

Also, does this update have all of the other updates i missed in 1 ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:02:06 PM by Josheh »
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.

February 11, 2010, 05:39:59 PM
Reply #33

SoNic67

Thank you Scott for the updates! I understand that the update was necessary (legal issues maybe, don't care) so now we are waiting the real fun stuff to begin.
As of now, WDTV Live has the most potential in this new market. And I hope WD has a long term strategy that include this kind of bussiness - networked media players. You have one of the best hardware out there (with Sigma cipset versus Realtek ones) - with proper support and apps you can win the market.
Good luck!

February 11, 2010, 10:08:31 PM
Reply #34

dribbller1

This is fantastic..... My intentions were not meant to be rude when I asked Scott what his position was and I'm sure he can appreciate people being suss.... this is the internet after all lol.

I'm glad that someone from WD is here looking at what we the customer wants :) it is fantastic..... so thanks Scott for taking the time out to post a message or two, it is truly appreciated.

I hope the issue with the double thumbs on network share is fixed.... at the moment I have to mount the share to resolve this.... anyway, cant wait now to see what changes will happen :)

February 11, 2010, 11:11:40 PM
Reply #35

Josheh

"Wants to auto upgrade but still scared i brick it !"

p.s. Scott, Cough OSD/Moviesheet changes  ;D haha, even if it's not official I'm sure someone will make one soon enough anyway.

Edit> Whats this crap I'm hearing about this new youtube bug thing ?

"This video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devices"

So glad I heard this before upgrading, I wish in the firmware information someone from WD had posted why this happens, what video's it mainly happens too etc etc, Because now once again it makes me not want to upgrade! I want to watch youtube as it says on the box, not "50% of youtube" A lot of people are reporting that only 50% of the videos work, the rest give that error, Could someone enlighten me on what this means, why they have it in place, and if it will get removed.... It's alright if its just videos not allowed in your country like if i was on my main PC.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:43:15 PM by Josheh »
It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.

February 12, 2010, 12:49:42 AM
Reply #36

schnoid

Hey Scott,

Glad to hear that WD is actually listening to its customers regarding the WD TV Live. Was starting to think that it was no longer being worked on. Just out of curiosity, how many engineers do you have working on the WD TV Live? 2 months delay seems like a VERY long time to be working on a firmware update issue, but I guess we should be thankful that things are looking promising for the near future. I'm sure many of us would really appreciate an early release beta. As you know, many of us both here and on the WD official forums have been very frustrated by the lack of response we were getting from WD. With Popbox and Boxee Box being released in the next month, I'm really hoping WD TV Live will be able to compete. I recommended the WD TV Live to quite a few people and hope it lives up to my initial praise.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop. Hope you keep it up!

---

personal wish list: only display video thumbnail when going to video -> network shares, add search feature, add playlist feature for music and movies, add dynamic imdb data for movies, MUCH NICER INTERFACE! ... and if it had Hulu, you can be assured you'd have a HUGE market share of media set top boxes.

February 12, 2010, 01:02:37 AM
Reply #37

toadle

That is great to hear ScottWD!

I always had the impression that you had to do these updates, but I never was quite sure. The update-process was a priority-fix for sure, and the release-notes of 1.01.24 read like "YouTube demands...".

Great to hear that you can move along now - we are excited!

One advice from the happy customer though - if you made clear that those two updates were forced on you, the community would have had a lower bitch-factor ;-)!

February 12, 2010, 02:16:29 AM
Reply #38

guuru

Promising stuff from WD team. It is quite a neat device and if they put more cool stuff in it and solve crucial issues ppl having, this is deffinately a keeper device. 8)

February 12, 2010, 02:36:07 AM
Reply #39

alchemist

Not a joke... had to take care of the Google/Youtube business relationship.  With that out of the way Smiley we have other things in the works.  It's amazing how a botched firmware update process can screw things up.  Put us back like 2 months from our plans!   We do appreciate everyone's patience. I have a major product release coming out soon which will focus on the core issues at hand.  The team is trying to get a pre-release (beta) to you guys early next week. 

-ScottWD

Thanks for your candid response, other company's are not always so forthcoming, this sheds light on your release notes for 1.0.1.24. An open channel of communication from WD and frequent firmware updates is a winning combination, keep it up :)

Like many others YouTube is a "nice to have" but to be perfectly honest the WDTV Live (at least for me) is all about streaming/playing content off my private network.

Core issues to be addressed:
- Playback of all common media types
- DVD menu
- Audio sync (manual sync would be a nice feature too)
-UI usability
(i) no need display a network username and password if it's a saved share (waste of time)
(ii) 1 clcik to display/hide playback information and options
(iii) 10 minute player advance should NOT require fast forword to previously be depressed
(iv) file browsing - general improvement required

Thanks for the update, I look forward to the future releases :)

February 12, 2010, 04:36:51 AM
Reply #40

mesb

They have to be joking!!!! All youtube updates and nothing else.
You are wrong :)
Some changes just wasn't write in changelog.

As far as i can see, in 1.01.24:
Fixed bug with long ip adresses.
Added possibility to play .flv files
Fixed some localization (in russian)

Maybe i'am wrong, but looks like on this firmware it start faster than on previous (when powering on from remote control i mean)

February 12, 2010, 05:01:17 AM
Reply #41

marciton

(i) no need display a network username and password if it's a saved share (waste of time)
(iii) 10 minute player advance should NOT require fast forword to previously be depressed
(iv) file browsing - general improvement required

and a the ability to manage the position of the subtitles and have a bigger size

February 12, 2010, 06:06:08 AM
Reply #42

Whoheart

Exactly, we were planning to have a more robust product update early in the year but these items took priority.  Now the fun begins -- We know what everone wants.  It's a HUGE list  ;D   Primary focus on the next product udpate is on the reported issues and a few little surprises.  But we also have the dev teams working on some of the cool stuff.

Well, I dearly that huge list includes being able to skip back 10 seconds - jchen suggested you might implement a "goto" function - but that isn't of that much use when you want to rewind (jump) back 10 seconds to hear something again that you didn't catch the first time (something I do every day) - if i have to spend 20 seconds getting back its... less than optimal :)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 12, 2010, 06:10:54 AM
Reply #43

Whoheart

"Wants to auto upgrade but still scared i brick it !"

p.s. Scott, Cough OSD/Moviesheet changes  ;D haha, even if it's not official I'm sure someone will make one soon enough anyway.

Edit> Whats this crap I'm hearing about this new youtube bug thing ?

There is no youtube bug.

"This video is restricted by the video content owner and is not available on TV connected devices"

So glad I heard this before upgrading, I wish in the firmware information someone from WD had posted why this happens, what video's it mainly happens too etc etc, Because now once again it makes me not want to upgrade! I want to watch youtube as it says on the box, not "50% of youtube" A lot of people are reporting that only 50% of the videos work, the rest give that error, Could someone enlighten me on what this means, why they have it in place, and if it will get removed.... It's alright if its just videos not allowed in your country like if i was on my main PC.

It is not an error it is a message. Some (idiots) have flagged that their videos may not be displayed - if WD ignores that they could face a lawsuit - so they respect it. It is unlikely to change - though it would be handy if they could find a way to hide videos from the interface if you can't watch them anyway.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 12, 2010, 06:26:28 AM
Reply #44

Whoheart

You are wrong :)
Some changes just wasn't write in changelog.

Added possibility to play .flv files

No it can't.
(Not the ones I tried, though some files with .flv extension are really mp4 files)