Author Topic: Update 1.02.07 General discussion  (Read 12244 times)

April 22, 2009, 08:05:44 PM
Read 12244 times

jaaze

I would like to know whether the bug that was found in Apr 8 release (1.02) - (long pause at start of video) has been fixed.

It was very annoying so I reverted to the 1.01.xx firmware

Now it would be good if that is fixed so I can update to this :)

April 22, 2009, 09:07:03 PM
Reply #1

catire

I would like to know whether the bug that was found in Apr 8 release (1.02) - (long pause at start of video) has been fixed.

It was very annoying so I reverted to the 1.01.xx firmware

Now it would be good if that is fixed so I can update to this :)

That was fixed in the two updates released after that one :)

April 22, 2009, 10:53:38 PM
Reply #2

MacSimon

Love the spin down of the HD without having to eject  ;D

April 23, 2009, 12:24:37 AM
Reply #3

twe

not able to test this for another couple of hours when I get home from work but was wondering more about the spindown HD.... Does that switch off power to portable external 2.5" drives? If so then I have a spare 500GB that I can use. It's just that I swapped to my non spindown 750GB 3.5" drive as I had to switch it off manually anyway.... This feature will send me back to the 2.5" external if thats the case.

April 23, 2009, 01:53:30 AM
Reply #4

MacSimon

I use a bus-powered 2.5" and it now does what it should always have done ;)

April 23, 2009, 01:56:11 AM
Reply #5

twe

thanks mate, going to try it out tonight.... Just don't like the 6-8 hours it took to transfer my files from the 2.5" to the 3.5"!

April 23, 2009, 09:39:15 AM
Reply #6

savant

* More audio formats for MKV container

Could some please confirm/deny this release contains support for DTS audio?

April 23, 2009, 10:01:04 AM
Reply #7

twe

am pretty sure no new codecs are supported by that description, it just means more things within an mkv format is supported....

DTS is only supported by passing it through optical to your dts home cinema unit, otherwise at the moment you got to convert them to something like AC3....

April 23, 2009, 10:17:50 AM
Reply #8

catire

* More audio formats for MKV container

Could some please confirm/deny this release contains support for DTS audio?

Thats just the info from the first beta release, they added support for flac to the mkv container.

April 23, 2009, 10:42:12 AM
Reply #9

savant

am pretty sure no new codecs are supported by that description, it just means more things within an mkv format is supported....

DTS is only supported by passing it through optical to your dts home cinema unit, otherwise at the moment you got to convert them to something like AC3....

That's what my testing shows, too. I just wanted to make sure. I requested DTS Decoding (at additional unit cost) in the feature request thread and my thread was deleted.

I guess the "feature requests" subforum should be "request only features that everyone agrees with"

April 23, 2009, 01:31:22 PM
Reply #10

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
[ I requested DTS Decoding (at additional unit cost) in the feature request thread and my thread was deleted.

I guess the "feature requests" subforum should be "request only features that everyone agrees with"

Not sure why you were deleted Savant.  I missed your post.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 23, 2009, 03:06:26 PM
Reply #11

Jarcy

not able to test this for another couple of hours when I get home from work but was wondering more about the spindown HD.... Does that switch off power to portable external 2.5" drives? If so then I have a spare 500GB that I can use. It's just that I swapped to my non spindown 750GB 3.5" drive as I had to switch it off manually anyway.... This feature will send me back to the 2.5" external if thats the case.

From what I see, in the case of a mains powered HDD, it will spin down the hard drive into a standby mode, but leave the drive on. It should shut off power in the case of a bus powered drive.

Which leads to another REQ which I'll post in the apporpriate place... most WD external mains powered hard drives come with "Smartpower". That means the WDTV should be able to turn the external HDD off completely (better than standby mode) when the WDTV is turned off using the remote. This must be possible because if the WDTV is turned off at the mains, my WD Essentials HDD turns off completely (mains to HDD remain on!).

Hugh

April 23, 2009, 04:45:19 PM
Reply #12

pingpong

Yes I agree with Jarcy completely.  I am using a Transcend USB 4G stick to watch movies etc.  This USB stick has a light inside which turns on when there is power.  With the WDTV's latest (and all previous FW) the light remains on ALL THE TIME.  Neither ejecting the drive nor powering off the unit has any effect -- this means that power is always being fed to the USB ports.  After a few hours of being plugged in (regardless of whether the WDTV is off), my USB stick gets hot.

In addition, once you eject the USB device and turn off the WDTV, you need to unplug and then replug the device before the WDTV will recognize it when you power on.

I would like to see 2 revisions in the FW:

1. No power to the USB ports after turning off the WDTV

2. Automatically re-detect the USB device on powering on the WDTV even if it was ejected prior to powering off (though I would guess that this would be the case if the above was implemented).

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section.  I will also post this in the request section.

Regards,

April 24, 2009, 03:24:55 AM
Reply #13

AlunS

From what I see, in the case of a mains powered HDD, it will spin down the hard drive into a standby mode, but leave the drive on. It should shut off power in the case of a bus powered drive.
My USB powered 550GB Passport spins down but remains powered up (i.e. white LED by USB connector still lit up).

April 24, 2009, 03:50:24 AM
Reply #14

twe

Hi guys, great news for me and the hard drive spindown. It definitely worked with my 2.5" drive however thought let me try with my external 3.5" drive that I already have connected, and guess what it spun the hard drive down! Really good because it is a Medion one and when I emailed them about if it supported such a thing when I switched my pc off they said no..... No swapping hard drives for me!