Author Topic: What's up with DVD movies on WDTV??  (Read 9733 times)

February 28, 2010, 12:24:30 PM
Reply #30

gilby1947

::)

WOW!! got some knickers in a knot!

My 7 year old picks up the remote..turns it on..navigates to "The Kids Movies" folder, selects  the thumbnail image and it plays immediately.

I dont need DVD menus..chapters. Just a movie in english.

And why would you want to reburn a movie back to a DVD with all the info on it? My whole objective is to eliminate discs.  I have. They are all in a box stored away.  The only ones that come into my house now are from RedBox..and they get ripped right away.

Everyone is differnet in their requirements.  Mine are VERY basic...this fits the bill.  Nuff said.
Is there better? Sure there is.

I appreciate your clear lay-out earlier in this toppic. I created a folder holding two files : title_thumbnail.jpeg and title.mkv. The folder now shows up with the thumbnail image. When I select this folder thumbnail, the folder opens en shows it contend, I then have to select the .mkv file to start the movie. How do you manage to start the film directly by selecting the folder image? Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for my bad English, not my first language ;)

February 28, 2010, 01:54:45 PM
Reply #31

mbryanr

How do you manage to start the film directly by selecting the folder image?

Press PLAY.

February 28, 2010, 03:10:43 PM
Reply #32

Whoheart

I find Whoheart's tag line to be offensive.

I think you spin this into an attack, and I find that somewhat offensive.

For one thing, it is a generic attack on anyone who has complaints regarding the features or lack thereof of the WDTV Live.

No it isn't.

Second, as far as I can tell, Whoheart has no authority here. If he is just another user here, he has no right to be telling other people how to use the forums or what they should do.

So you are saying you are entitled to tell other people what to do, but nobody else are allowed to. Hm... that would make you a hypocrite, no?

True I don't run the board, and perhaps JayAllan doesn't mind a lot of people being rude and aggressive towards western digital all the time (even though he has asked people to behave towards the WD people who have dropped by).

Third, if this forum were filled with only glowing praises for WD, it would be pretty useless for people researching the WDTV Live.

This is silly, nobody has said anything about glowing praise - its acting like adults. If someone has a problem and asks for help that's fine. But its the constant complaining over and over in a very immature and often snide way -  when that does nothing to improve the situation! Its a fan board, not the official board. If people really want something to be fixed go to the source. If they don't, well then they don't want something fixed, they are here for another reason.

WD could make this very clear for everyone. Their representatives could clearly state whether the requested feature will be added or not.

They could, I would welcome it - but I see why they don't - they post simple messages, and there is a slew of hysterical people freaking out over what they say and totally twist what was said (much like you twisted my tagline) - so I guess they think its safer not to do it, that it would cause more problems than it would solve (or its simply not company policy that low level employees inform the public about what is going on)

I would also recommend that they stop by here more often.

Which is exactly why people should be less immature and whining.
JayAllan pointed out they don't get paid to come here, its not part of the job description - and if all they find is negativity its human nature not to want to do it.

Finally, I think they ought to hire b-rad to oversee their firmware. It has to be a pain in the behind to offer tech support on a device that might be running umpteen different versions of firmware and software.

Western Digital has a board for suggestions, you could add it there.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 28, 2010, 11:35:20 PM
Reply #33

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
I find Whoheart's tag line to be offensive.
So why not simply ignore him? Granted, it woud be easier if this board software had a decent ignore function like pretty much any other board out there but, oh well...

March 01, 2010, 10:51:53 AM
Reply #34

Armand

The irony of Whohearts tagline is that he is by far the single biggest whiner on these forums! His arguments have been logically demolished by about 20 users, and then he ALWAYS resorts to whining personal attacks.

Whoheart is a troll. It is simple to tell: He doesn't care about a specific feature (and ironically the one that reviewers users cite as the biggest drawback to the WD line) yet he keeps coming onto threads where people mention it and attacking them personally.

He himself has mentioned problems and bugs with the WD as well. can you imagine going onto those threads and saying "you don't need that"? It is childish and silly.

It is an indisputable fact that the number one problem and requested feature with the WD line is the lack of menus and chapters.

I find Whoheart's tag line to be offensive. For one thing, it is a generic attack on anyone who has complaints regarding the features or lack thereof of the WDTV Live. Second, as far as I can tell, Whoheart has no authority here. If he is just another user here, he has no right to be telling other people how to use the forums or what they should do. Third, if this forum were filled with only glowing praises for WD, it would be pretty useless for people researching the WDTV Live. It would be like going to a manufacturer's site and expecting honest reviews.

As far as having DVD menus available for ISO files, I would like the feature. I don't know if I'd use it all that often, but I do have a few ISO's with added features such as blooper reels and the like that I would like to see. I'd rather not have to edit that file if WD could just implement a feature that many media players already have.

March 01, 2010, 12:11:09 PM
Reply #35

gilby1947

Press PLAY.

Thank you indeed, the most simple solutions are somethimes hard to find....

March 01, 2010, 12:20:59 PM
Reply #36

Whoheart

Press PLAY.

Thank you indeed, the most simple solutions are somethimes hard to find....

Especially since it isn't mentioned in the manual.

Though for some odd reason playing a video_ts folder isn't the same thing as playing an ISO of said folder.

I have previously noticed some difference, where say subtitles didn't show up when you played the video_ts folder, but they did when you made an ISO out of the folder. Or that the WDTV Live failed to figure out the total length of the movie and only showed the size of the individual vobs.

But even the ISO playback has problems with length, it says one of my DVD movies is 10 hours! And then it keeps that scale, so after you've seen 30 minutes it says you watched a couple of hours  ;D
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 02, 2010, 01:41:11 AM
Reply #37

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
The irony of Whohearts tagline is that he is by far the single biggest whiner on these forums!
Drop it already, will you? Or put it in your sig.

Though for some odd reason playing a video_ts folder isn't the same thing as playing an ISO of said folder.
I haven't noticed any difference so far, even when it comes to subtitles.