Author Topic: What's up with DVD movies on WDTV??  (Read 9728 times)

February 06, 2010, 09:43:47 AM
Reply #15

Whoheart

Why you are complaining so much about people noting a feature present on all the competition, and for good reason, is perplexing.

Perhaps you do not understand English, but I am not complaining (you are).

Now your comment about it not being a DVD player is, in the context of media players made for the past five years, grossly misrepresentation.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

But it is NOT a DVD player.

It has a certain support for some of the file features of a DVD, but it clearly is not a DVD player - and Western Digital never claimed it was.

WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players you interact with on yoru computer for mpeg, avi, mov, flac, vob etc all support DVD chapters and menus!

And probably illegally without paying for the license *g*
Perhaps they have menus, who uses that anyway - I don't.
(Great you do - but I suspect you are a tiny minority of the customers buying this device)

They are not "DVD players" yet if WMP in W7 dropped menus for DVD on Hard drive files you know there would be a storm and it would be silly to say in response, "don't complain, it isn't a dvd player."

??? Does anybody use that? And no, it wouldn't be silly, it isn't a DVD Player.

Its not even remotely related - it is one thing to suddenly drop an ability - its something else to keep complaining about a device not having an ability they never claimed it has or that it would have.

Asus, Popcorn popbox, Acer, Boxee, TVix, Dune, Myka, LaCie, MediaGate, Sage, ion the heardware department, and in pc software, WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players etc are all in your opinion wrong to be including chapter support becasue they are not media players?

No I never said that, thats just a lie you  made up.

If you are going to claim you have vob support but don't recognize chapters, you in fact don't have VOB support.

In your opinion.

Which is wrong, since the chapter information is not actually stored in the VOB files, but in the ifo/bup files.

Lastly they are not looking into it for the current product. They used the exact same language for looking into netflix support -- they mean future products as far as anyone can tell.

Perhaps - even though one of the moderators on the official board said they were looking in to ways to improve the current product (ie, the WDTV Live)

I have yet to see any "networking problems" - working fine here.

There are plenty of documented networking problems,

Haven't see any. Have seen a lot of clueless people whining about it not working, until they figure out their mistake.

Networking is the second biggest complaint set on this, and WD has strugged with firmware ugrades to address it but hasn't got it right yet. Denying networking problems is silly.

When I say i haven't seen any problems, then I haven't seen any problems. For you to suggest I'm lying about this is for you to be amoral.

And its factual. And I see plenty of reviews on Amazon and other sites, where people are saying they just plugged it in and then it worked.

And yes I have seen plenty of whining idiots not being able to figure out how to turn on the computer who claim it must be the device. And then it turns out they didn't share a folder correctly, or set rules in a firewall, or start a service, or change DHCP timeout in the router etc etc etc.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 06, 2010, 09:46:55 AM
Reply #16

Whoheart

Firmware update is not on WDTV list of priorities, they just dodge bullets from users and try to keep their face, they print something, acknowledge something, there is a little to discuss and complain I guess, it is highly unproductive. They might use it for next generation of products but not for yours. Besides, most of us bought this thing knowing that DVD menus are not supported, not even for WDTV generatin one.

A bleak and bitter view - lets hope you are wrong  ;)

But one thing which suggests that at least someone wanted to enhance this device is the much larger memory on the Live.  Only a small bit of it is in use now. There is room for years of expansion. Funny they would add that much memory if they didn't plan to use it.

Of course, its possible those people were fired last year after the problem with the firmware update...
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 06, 2010, 09:48:51 AM
Reply #17

Whoheart

Perhaps I should add to the benefit of Armand, when I say "I haven't seen any problems", it means that *I* have not had an problems.

February 06, 2010, 02:23:10 PM
Reply #18

Al

Of course, its possible those people were fired last year after the problem with the firmware update...
It looks like that firmware was written by somebody (by hire, contract ?) and then somebody else tried to fix things ? The same we experienced with WDTV first generation, fixing and somehow introducing other problems?

By the way I have still 1.01.11 and not updating.:-)

February 07, 2010, 09:26:41 PM
Reply #19

Whoheart

It looks like that firmware was written by somebody (by hire, contract ?) and then somebody else tried to fix things ? The same we experienced with WDTV first generation, fixing and somehow introducing other problems?

By the way I have still 1.01.11 and not updating.:-)

Well I updated to .17 and it didn't blow up (yet!) :)

Anyway, lets hope there is a good update later this month.

February 08, 2010, 08:40:44 AM
Reply #20

Armand

Perhaps you do not understand English, but I am not complaining.

You are complaining at a high pitched whine and endlessly

You are saying:
"I don't use the feature that is the number one requested feature" so therefore people who want it are "whiners"

people are noting bugs and problems and you are complaining about them noting them.  AS discussed six months ago on AVS this is the NUMBER ONE REQUESTED fix!

Are you confused between a dvd file player and a dvd disk player? You seem confused.
Noting it is the worst at playing DVDs when the product advertised vob files is a 100% legitimate notation of a product problem especially when the competition doesn't have the problem with DVD files that only the WD has.

Windows is illegally using the license? LOL. Bull. Asus Is? BULL. Seagate? Bull. Syabas? Bull
You do not need a licence for chapter support anyway.[/b] Unencrypted IFO is not regulated by the licence, the CSS and logo are. You don't need a license to utilize the ifo and bup and that is why all the companies, including US based ones selling same the kind of streamers include it. This was discussed over at AVS six months ago.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142531

Asus, Popcorn popbox, Acer, Boxee, TVix, Dune, Myka, LaCie, MediaGate, Sage, in the hardware department, and in pc software, WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players etc are all in your opinion wrong to be including chapter support becasue they are not media players?

All the people making the number one request are wrong, all the fortune 500 companies and others making them are wrong and just lonely you are right? wow.

February 10, 2010, 11:35:56 PM
Reply #21

WDTVLAS

::)

WOW!! got some knickers in a knot!

My 7 year old picks up the remote..turns it on..navigates to "The Kids Movies" folder, selects  the thumbnail image and it plays immediately.

I dont need DVD menus..chapters. Just a movie in english.

And why would you want to reburn a movie back to a DVD with all the info on it? My whole objective is to eliminate discs.  I have. They are all in a box stored away.  The only ones that come into my house now are from RedBox..and they get ripped right away.

Everyone is differnet in their requirements.  Mine are VERY basic...this fits the bill.  Nuff said.
Is there better? Sure there is.

February 11, 2010, 10:13:43 PM
Reply #22

Whoheart

Perhaps you do not understand English, but I am not complaining.

You are complaining at a high pitched whine and endlessly

And now you start the personal attacks.

You are saying:
"I don't use the feature that is the number one requested feature" so therefore people who want it are "whiners"

No I didn't, that is just something you are making up.

people are noting bugs and problems and you are complaining about them noting them.  

No, I'm complaining about you exaggerating.

Are you confused between a dvd file player and a dvd disk player? You seem confused.

I'm not the one who is confused ;)

Noting it is the worst at playing DVDs when the product advertised vob files is a 100% legitimate notation of a product problem especially when the competition doesn't have the problem with DVD files that only the WD has.

That doesn't make sense.

Windows is illegally using the license? LOL. Bull. Asus Is? BULL. Seagate? Bull. Syabas? Bull

Again you add a lot of things which weren't under debate. Of course the big companies pay for it, but you talked about windows media player classic, which is just made by happy hackers - you talked about VLC which is just made by happy hackers, I some how doubt they are paying licenses (but I don't know that they don't - perhaps they do have the money to do so)

You do not need a licence for chapter support anyway.
Unencrypted IFO is not regulated by the licence, the CSS and logo are. You don't need a license to utilize the ifo and bup and that is why all the companies, including US based ones selling same the kind of streamers include it.

Show your proof.

This was discussed over at AVS six months ago.

What a couple of strangers say on AVS is not proof. People will claim anything without proof.

Asus, Popcorn popbox, Acer, Boxee, TVix, Dune, Myka, LaCie, MediaGate, Sage, in the hardware department, and in pc software, WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players etc are all in your opinion wrong to be including chapter support becasue they are not media players?

Learn to understand English or stay out of English forums.

Of course they are not wrong, I never said they were.

All the people making the number one request are wrong, all the fortune 500 companies and others making them are wrong and just lonely you are right? wow.

Listen, I don't know if you are a child, have low intelligence or just generally have a hard time with a foreign language - but AGAIN you are just making up things that I never said.

Now stop lying, your mother would be ashamed of you.

February 13, 2010, 07:43:53 PM
Reply #23

Armand

And now you start the personal attacks.

Lolk what I did was REPEAT your language. Is English your first language, doesn't seem so.

You are insulting people all over this forum invoking their mothers?

You don't have a single technical or referenced suggestion on your posts, you counter other people's discussions with bizarre impressionistic assertions of what others should expect

The fact is Asus and POPbox are legally using DVD chapters. Your claim that they are not is not supported and I note --again -- you offer no proof of such an assertion.

Where is your proof?

February 13, 2010, 09:14:59 PM
Reply #24

Whoheart

You are insulting people all over this forum invoking their mothers?

No I haven't (and what the hell does "Invoking their mothers" mean in the first place)

You don't have a single technical or referenced suggestion on your posts, you counter other people's discussions with bizarre impressionistic assertions of what others should expect

No I haven't.

The fact is Asus and POPbox are legally using DVD chapters. Your claim that they are not is not supported and I note --again -- you offer no proof of such an assertion.

No, I have never made such a claim.

Where is your proof?

I'm going to assume you are just a troll and ignore you hence forth.

February 15, 2010, 09:55:00 AM
Reply #25

AyDee

Next up is to get my home movies (.MOV) to play.  these files came from our little 7.1mpeg Olympus poitn and shoot camera and dont play at this point.  If i convert them to some other format they play...but im not about to convert 100's upon hundreds of little 2-10 minute home movie snippets.
Any ideas?
What format is the audio? video? (use MediaInfo)

February 15, 2010, 08:08:24 PM
Reply #26

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

I'm going to assume you are just a troll and ignore you hence forth.

You clearly debunked all of Armands bogus logic with a patience that I would never have. 
Yet he keeps trying to argue looking more like fool with each post.  I would ignore him at this point too. :)

Armand - buy a DVD player or use a PC with all the software that you mentioned earlier.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

February 28, 2010, 02:11:42 AM
Reply #27

Armand

Armand - buy a DVD player or use a PC with all the software that you mentioned earlier.

Jay,Sorry to debunk your claims. go look on the WD own forums. It is the number one issue, and the number one request
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/idb-p/idea/tab/most-kudoed

Just because you have someone shilling forums with attacks on anyone who brings up the DVD menu issue, doesn't mean the issue is "debunked. " :D

Yet whoheart attack --with ZERO facts -- the people who requested it.

Funny to see you characterizing personal attacks as "debunking."

February 28, 2010, 07:03:50 AM
Reply #28

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
The only ones that come into my house now are from RedBox..and they get ripped right away.

Spooky music plays in the background...

You are aware, of course, that this is a clear violation of copyright laws?  You may legally "back up" any DVD which you personally own but could potentially face fines of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment for up to five years for each "illegal" backup in your possession.  Then again, that being said, I can pay off the national debt right now if they come knocking on my door so MUWAH HA HA!!!

February 28, 2010, 07:39:09 AM
Reply #29

franks

• DeSpammer

I find Whoheart's tag line to be offensive. For one thing, it is a generic attack on anyone who has complaints regarding the features or lack thereof of the WDTV Live. Second, as far as I can tell, Whoheart has no authority here. If he is just another user here, he has no right to be telling other people how to use the forums or what they should do. Third, if this forum were filled with only glowing praises for WD, it would be pretty useless for people researching the WDTV Live. It would be like going to a manufacturer's site and expecting honest reviews.

As far as having DVD menus available for ISO files, I would like the feature. I don't know if I'd use it all that often, but I do have a few ISO's with added features such as blooper reels and the like that I would like to see. I'd rather not have to edit that file if WD could just implement a feature that many media players already have.

WD could make this very clear for everyone. Their representatives could clearly state whether the requested feature will be added or not. I would also recommend that they stop by here more often. I think that would quell some of the frustration that many owners feel. I'm not suggesting that they come in here to answer questions on a daily basis, but maybe they could make progress announcements on a regular basis. Finally, I think they ought to hire b-rad to oversee their firmware. It has to be a pain in the behind to offer tech support on a device that might be running umpteen different versions of firmware and software.