Author Topic: What's up with DVD movies on WDTV??  (Read 9719 times)

February 02, 2010, 12:52:21 PM
Read 9719 times

nero78

Can someone please tell my why my WD TV Live can't play VIDEO_TS folders properly with menus and with chapters??

And why WDTV Live can't play ISO files properly?

Is western digital against DVD or something?

Or is there something i do wrong?

February 02, 2010, 02:56:41 PM
Reply #1

jason407

It cannot play the menus because they didn't program that feature.

As far as iso files...what do you consider "properly"?

The WDTV can play iso files. (fyi,I think someone said that it helps if the ".iso" part of the file is lower-case for some reason)

February 02, 2010, 03:55:42 PM
Reply #2

nero78

Hmm.. so it cant skip chapters either? So you have to fast forward to get to a scene??

ISO files with more languages/text just messes up for me. Skips and display several languages at times...

February 03, 2010, 08:52:55 PM
Reply #3

Al

It's WDTV Live firmware and nobody is going to fix it. Probably worst piece of programming ever written, for that DVD part :), I don't know.  Looks like it is done on purpose, not that I'm complaining, I like WDTV Live and I understand how  DVD's are put together so  couple of things if I may:
(1.01.11)
DVDs with more than one title, DVD's with episodes, fw plays only one episode, you have to manually rename VOB's to m2ts or so, and manually navigate to first file to play it,  if you have ISO , man, I don't know.

If you use DVD Shrink, Vobblanker, Ifoedit to extract only one title out of DVD to its new structure, most of the time WDTV fw cannot play it right ,it plays VOB's as a single files, screws up subtitles, or audio while changing VOB, mostly second one and sometime first ones.  I don't care whats wrong. WDTV Live will not be here forever ...
and

I started to use PGCEdit, for DVD's with large volume of special features and such, those i do not want, I just delete those large VOBs and in those menus for special features I change links to not let DVD structure jump there ...probably frustrating for somebody else later :), but I find those features as a let downs mostly anyway, commentaries with directors, for example,  are far more better off and entertaining, just opinion

February 03, 2010, 11:03:27 PM
Reply #4

WDTVLAS

I  just got done ripping over 350+ gigs of DVDs...both movies and TV episodes. (14 disc Monty python set for example..3-4  epsidoes each.)
This is a HUGE learning curve for me and i honeslty dont see what everyone complains about on here.  This device IS NOT perfect...sure it doesnt have all the features of a DVD player, but guess what?  It aint a DVD player!

I ripped all my movies with MAKEMKV...once it anaylized the disc i selected only the video, audio and subtitles i wanted (none).
Clicked on "MAKE MKV" directed it to the folder on the HD i created for the movie/show and 10-20 minutes later it was done. 
If it was a single movie i then renamed the file to "The Meaning of Life.mkv" for example.  I then went to the IMBD  website and lifted the thumbnail for the movie.  Right click...save as "The meaning of Life.jpeg"...and saved it iin the same folder. The movie now plays when the thumb nail is selected.
I placed the movie in a folder called "Mom and dad Movies".  I took a pic i had of my wife and I...added text to the image so it says "MOM AND DAD...MOVIES" on it at the bottom.  This image was then reduced in size then  saved to a folder called...you guessed it..."Mom and dad movies".  I did this process for all my movies and the folders they are stored in.  When "video" folders is selected i get 4 neat folders displayed..."kids movies"..."Mom dad movies"...."Home movies"  and "work movies"...each folder has its own custom thumbnail i made...and with each folder each title has its own thumbnail.
Really looks nice!

The MKV files play flawlessly so far.  Chapters arent that big of a deal to me atleast.  If i REALLY need them i just go to the options menu and pull them up.  The FF with the "next" works fine for a 10+ miunte jumps.  If  WDTV could  add a simple time stamp next to the associated chapter in the chapter list, it would be a huge Help in navigating ahead.  You dont have any idea how far ahead "chapter 12" is until you select it and see it playing.  It should say "Chapter 12  15:30 "....."chapter 13  17:20" etc etc.  In a perfect world an image would be the way to go like the DVDs do it.

On the DVDs with episodes i simply named them "EP 1.mkv"  "EP2.mkv"...3...4 etc when the MKV was saved  with in the  respective show folder. These epsidoes also have an identical JPEG name for an appropriate thumbnail.

I have had the WDTV live for about 5 days now...so far im pretty impressed.  It DEFINITELY could be improved but the fact that i have 300=Gigs of movies now sitting in a box and not all over the place between the kids loft...down stairs...in the seat cushions...etc etc..Im happy!

Networking is next up...but if it proves to be an issue i will get 2 other WDTV lives and duplcate the Hardrive and place them next to the other TVs in the house. Simple enough.

Question.  Is there  a way to change the color of the "selection box"?  It would be nice if it were RED or YELLOW...the thin blue box  it has now is kind of hard to see?

Next up is to get my home movies (.MOV) to play.  these files came from our little 7.1mpeg Olympus poitn and shoot camera and dont play at this point.  If i convert them to some other format they play...but im not about to convert 100's upon hundreds of little 2-10 minute home movie snippets. 
Any ideas?

thanks

February 04, 2010, 06:59:58 PM
Reply #5

Al

to WDTVLAS
I never realized that makemkv is good for DVD's, just tried it and it works great. It is fast, keeps even subtitles (did not expect that, wow), keeps even chapters. Great tip, looks like I was stuck in the past :-).

February 04, 2010, 10:47:27 PM
Reply #6

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
If you use DVD Shrink, Vobblanker, Ifoedit to extract only one title out of DVD to its new structure, most of the time WDTV fw cannot play it right ,it plays VOB's as a single files, screws up subtitles, or audio while changing VOB, mostly second one and sometime first ones.
It does not when the VOBs are put into a VIDEO_TS folder.

I ripped all my movies with MAKEMKV...once it anaylized the disc i selected only the video, audio and subtitles i wanted (none).
But I do want subtitles and when DVD subs are muxed into MKVs they are becoming unreadable besides being fine as external idx/sub.

February 05, 2010, 04:07:37 AM
Reply #7

Armand

This is a HUGE learning curve for me and i honeslty dont see what everyone complains about on here.  This device IS NOT perfect...sure it doesnt have all the features of a DVD player, but guess what?  It aint a DVD player!

What are you talking about? Don't you get that there are hundreds and hundreds of complaints here, on Amazon, on CNET and elsewhere about how competing products in the same segment can handle basic DVD navigation such as chapter forward and Chapter back with a single click and the WD can NOT?

MKV is not needed with the other players, and you will soon discover that MKV chapter navigation on the WD is not one click either like on other players: it involves up to 30 clicks to go back from chapter 25 to 24 on a WD with MKV but one click on a Popcorn or Asus. On top of that the silly step of converting 300 movies to mkv is time consuming and  destroys the ability to reburn to dvdr.

Networking is next up...but if it proves to be an issue i will get 2 other WDTV lives and duplcate the Hardrive and place them next to the other TVs in the house. Simple enough.

Spending three times as much money and having everything running all the time is a "simple enough solution" to WD networking problems? What?

February 05, 2010, 10:18:20 AM
Reply #8

Whoheart

If you use DVD Shrink, Vobblanker, Ifoedit to extract only one title out of DVD to its new structure, most of the time WDTV fw cannot play it right ,it plays VOB's as a single files, screws up subtitles, or audio while changing VOB, mostly second one and sometime first ones.

It does sometimes.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 05, 2010, 10:21:36 AM
Reply #9

Whoheart

What are you talking about? Don't you get that there are hundreds and hundreds of complaints here, on Amazon, on CNET and elsewhere about how competing products in the same segment can handle basic DVD navigation such as chapter forward and Chapter back with a single click and the WD can NOT?

What are YOU talking about? None of them have a right to complain. They know what the device can do - it says so on the box. WD never claimed it could show menus. Now if you say these people would like the firmware enhanced so that it could do this, sure they are entitled to wish this. I think it would be cool as well (and WD has said they are looking in to it).
But WDTVLAS is correct, its NOT a DVD player. They never claimed it would be.

Spending three times as much money and having everything running all the time is a "simple enough solution" to WD networking problems? What?

I have yet to see any "networking problems" - working fine here.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 05, 2010, 10:32:46 AM
Reply #10

Al

But I do want subtitles and when DVD subs are muxed into MKVs they are becoming unreadable besides being fine as external idx/sub.
MAKEMKV is extracting subtitles from graphic bitmaps as sub/idx and it is muxed into mkv. Subtitles are the same as watching DVD, same graphics. I cannot imagine how it would work automatically to change them into text form.

It is not enough, WDTV Live is somehow picky about DVD structure inside of VIDEO_TS,  it can play those VOBs as a separate movies, while software players take them as one title.

February 05, 2010, 10:59:07 AM
Reply #11

Armand

I think it would be cool as well (and WD has said they are looking in to it).
But WDTVLAS is correct, its NOT a DVD player.
Why you are complaining so much about people noting a feature present on all the competition, and for good reason, is perplexing.

Your complaining about all the people and reviews noting it is like saying a vehicle that has gas pedals that stick is ok because it doesn't note that its gas pedals don't stick in the description, not to mention the vob container includes the chapters and claiming vob support without chapter advance is problematic anyway.

Now your comment about it not being a DVD player is, in the context of media players made for the past five years, grossly misrepresentation.

WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players you interact with on yoru computer for mpeg, avi, mov, flac, vob etc all support DVD chapters and menus! They are not "DVD players" yet if WMP in W7 dropped menus for DVD on Hard drive files you know there would be a storm and it would be silly to say in response, "don't complain, it isn't a dvd player."

Asus, Popcorn popbox, Acer, Boxee, TVix, Dune, Myka, LaCie, MediaGate, Sage, ion the heardware department, and in pc software, WM Classic, WMP, VLC. PDVD and the media players etc are all in your opinion wrong to be including chapter support becasue they are not media players? If you are going to claim you have vob support but don't recognize chapters, you in fact don't have VOB support.

Lastly they are not looking into it for the current product. They used the exact same language for looking into netflix support -- they mean future products as far as anyone can tell.

I have yet to see any "networking problems" - working fine here.[/quote]
There are plenty of documented networking problems, there are even discussions by networking experts as to the exact mistakes WD made which Asus and Sysbas did not.

Networking is the second biggest complaint set on this, and WD has strugged with firmware ugrades to address it but hasn't got it right yet. Denying networking problems is silly.

February 05, 2010, 12:10:15 PM
Reply #12

Al

Firmware update is not on WDTV list of priorities, they just dodge bullets from users and try to keep their face, they print something, acknowledge something, there is a little to discuss and complain I guess, it is highly unproductive. They might use it for next generation of products but not for yours. Besides, most of us bought this thing knowing that DVD menus are not supported, not even for WDTV generatin one.

February 05, 2010, 06:02:06 PM
Reply #13

Armand

Al that is a rational answer.

I would just say that I wasn't necessarily expecting menus to work, but basic chapter and advance and chapter back are another thing. How difficult can it be for that to be implemented?

February 05, 2010, 11:33:57 PM
Reply #14

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
MAKEMKV is extracting subtitles from graphic bitmaps as sub/idx and it is muxed into mkv. Subtitles are the same as watching DVD, same graphics. I cannot imagine how it would work automatically to change them into text form.
Of course they don't transfer them to text. However, decoding the picture from within an MKV seems to be done by the old routine from before the firmware update that fixed idx/sub display from external files. I've put on some screenshots of it over at AVS forums.