Author Topic: release: WDLXTV-0.5.X  (Read 443990 times)

April 29, 2009, 10:27:14 AM
Reply #15

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Hallo! If is posible to make a firmware (of course 0.5.2 via 1.02.07) but based on firmware modified by rezmus (for more subtitles font sizes to settings based on the same 1.02.07 :http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=506.0) ?
Thank you very much in advance!

yeh, i'll probably include his patches for dmaosd in the next version.

April 29, 2009, 07:55:50 PM
Reply #16

BBGUN360

Hi b-rad

Really appreciate the hard work. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem when I shut of my WDTV the HP personal media drive that I have attached doesn't spin down. So I flashed back to Prerelease 1.02.07 and the hard drive spinsdown again. With VERSION=1.02.07.WDLXTV-0.5.2′ I noticed that it starts to spindown then starts back up. Any help would be appreciated  ;D ;D

April 29, 2009, 08:46:44 PM
Reply #17

dnguyen800

Hey, great job and thanks for the fast releases on the firmware.  I do have one problem though, my Airlink USB network adapter stopped working with this new release.  I believe I upgraded from 0.4.3, where it previously worked.  The USB adapter doesn't light up at all.  I've tried connecting it directly to my WDTV, with no go.  I'm sure the USB ports work, since I can connect my DVD drive to it just fine.  I also redid the net.mounts and net.config file using the default one included with the 0.5.2 package, in case there was new syntax used in those files.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can further test this issue?

April 30, 2009, 02:36:50 PM
Reply #18

Stormbringer

b-rad, Great job with the custom WDTV firmware.

I've observed that multiple people on multiple boards would like the option for a 1-minute/ variable-minute skip forward feature.  Would this be difficult to implement?

Also,  I used the WDTV to watch TV shows recorded by a PVR card in my computer.  The shows record in SD 4:3 aspect ratio but I play them on a 16:9 TV using the WDTV over HDMI.  I'm stuck with a 4:3 aspect ratio on the 16:9 TV because when connected to the WDTV over HDMI, the TV doesn't allow me zoom options.  The WDTV Zoom options start at 2x which is wayyyyy to big.   Would it be difficult to add custom zoom or 1.1x 1.2x, 1.5x zoom to the WDTV?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!!

May 05, 2009, 06:05:14 AM
Reply #19

kaim

Hey there,
thanks for your work so far.

Do you think you would be able to make JDownloader (http://jdownloader.org/home/index?s=lng_en) run on the WDTV?
Since its pure Java, and it's possible to operate it by a web interface, I think that should work, right?

Please tell me its possible, that would be a killer feauture.
You would be able to run downloads from Rapidshare and all the other OCH-sites 24 hours a day with minimum power consumption!

May 07, 2009, 04:06:09 PM
Reply #20

bastador

Thanks for this firmware.  It works great.  I am able to stream 720p over wireless G without problems using NFS.  My wife is very impressed as well.  We are both wondering if it would be feasible to add a feature to delete a video when done watching it (like our Tivo).  I apologize if this has already been answered in another thread.  Anyway, thanks again.

May 07, 2009, 09:26:05 PM
Reply #21

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
k guys, I'm pretty sure (hoping) I've fixed the freezing issues. Whereas I used to be able to fairly easily get it to freeze after a video and not play anything else until a reboot, I cannot get it to anymore the last few hours ;D I made a lot of little tweaks, fixed some other small bugs and added a few new features.

This is just a prerelease version, please let me know how it works for you if you were having problems with 0.5.2

http://rapidshare.com/files/230626937/1.02.07_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.3.zip

*** UPDATED LINK - version is now reported correctly ***
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:10:58 AM by b-rad.cc »

May 08, 2009, 02:27:15 AM
Reply #22

makermaden

I have a problem with the update. I can start the procedure fine, it updates ok, but when it restarts there's still 0.5.2 and it asks me to update again  ???

May 08, 2009, 05:35:26 AM
Reply #23

qryptiq

@b-rad.cc

my unit is acting querky. Here's my setup:

WDTV connects to my DNS-321 via Trendnet. Prior to update the unit worked well. Now, whenever i am watching a movie
- the forward/reverse/pause buttons stop working
- the movie 'hijacks' the system - when i exit and go to the main menu, the movie will stay in 'memory'. If i go to another movie or song, or picture, the movie comes up. I cannot stop it.

I am force to unplug the power and start all over again.

Question: Can i  downgrade to the previous version?

UPDATE: i found a thread with the same issue here and will follow that. Thanks

May 08, 2009, 10:01:54 AM
Reply #24

savant

My unit is exhibiting some weird behavior on 0.5.2 as well. I've got an Ubuntu Server w/ NFS feeding my WDTV over ethernet, and up until the past couple of days it's been working like a dream.

Recently, however, I've been experiencing some playback issues. I can navigate the NFS directory structure without any trouble, and if I've recently power cycled the WDTV, I can usually watch 1 MKV television episode.

However, normally when the episode ends the WDTV returns to the directory in which the mkv was located. Now I'm just getting a black screen. When I use the remote to cycle the OSD, everything comes back, except I'm getting the "scanning library" overlay, which had gone away when I upgraded to 0.5.2. Also, When attempting to load another MKV or AVI, I just get a black screen with no video playback.

I'm at work, so I don't have physical access to the wd right now, but I'll ask my wife to plug it in so I can VPN into my network and get some debug logs. Will messages.txt suffice? Trying to talk my wife through installing the log file collector might be a bit too much of an undertaking over the phone ;)

May 08, 2009, 10:17:36 AM
Reply #25

makermaden

Tried the updated 0.5.3, now reporting ver.number correctly.
But, there's still the forward/reverse/pause buttons bug and "options" button too doesn't work, so during playback i can't access subtiltles/audio languages. I've also noticed that the time progress bar doesn't show up at the very beginning of the movie and i can't bring it up cause buttons don't work.

Another problem i found recently (probably since 0.5.2 and official ext2/3 support, but i'm not sure) is that i can't resume partial ftp trasfers from my server to the wd attached hdd, that's the log:
Code: [Select]
Status: Starting upload of /home/maxpower/Materiale/Slumdog.Millionaire.2008.1080p.BluRay.ITA.ENG.x264.Mux.RiSEN_Prestige.mkv
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (79,16,185,180,96,5)
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 Accepted data connection
Response: 226-ASCII
Response: 226-Options: -a -l
Response: 226 6 matches total
Command: PASV
Error: Could not write to transfer socket: ECONNRESET - Connection reset by peer
Response: 450-Error during write to file: Invalid argument
Response: 450 Bolt.2008.1080p.BluRay.ITA-ENG.x264.Mux.RiSEN_Prestige.mkv partially uploaded

My setup:
USB1 --> usb hdd with 2 partions: boot (FAT32) and videos (EXT3)
USB3 --> D-Link DUB-E100 H/W Version B1

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:31:06 AM by makermaden »

May 08, 2009, 12:52:41 PM
Reply #26

drs

But, there's still the forward/reverse/pause buttons bug and "options" button too doesn't work, so during playback i can't access subtiltles/audio languages. I've also noticed that the time progress bar doesn't show up at the very beginning of the movie and i can't bring it up cause buttons don't work.

I had the same problem, no buttons except stop/back/home worked during playback. The unit just now even kept playing when I switched it off: picture went black, but the the sound was still audible. When I started a random movie, I saw the picture of the still playing movie again. I had this issue with 0.5.2 today and then with 0.5.3., too.

I could solve it by re-flashing the original WD 1.02.07 FW and then again flashing WDLXTV 0.5.3. Everything seems to work now, hope it stays this way.

One minor problem still remains: when the WDTV is booted up and my NAS the WDTV is connected to goes into sleep mode, the next time I access the NAS contents, the WDTV can't play any file. Videos show only a black screen, audio files get stuck at the loading screen. The folder structure surely is buffered internally, so I assume the problem may lie somewhere within synchronizing/refreshing the data structure... or something like that.

Nevertheless, great work b-rad!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:34:24 PM by drs »

May 08, 2009, 05:52:50 PM
Reply #27

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I can no longer get my wdtv to freeze, whereas it was extemely easy and happened every 4-5 videos with 0.5.2.

I did a factory reset before I flashed 0.5.3 though, perhaps there is some internal setting that got awry? I suggest factory reset

May 09, 2009, 02:14:06 AM
Reply #28

statica

Hi

Just wanted to give some info regarding the new firmware which I hope will be usefull for future releases and for those who are considering using this firmware.
So far I have had no problems with the new 0.5.2 firmware. I plugged in my usb LG BE6 BluRay burner and was able to playback both dvd and bluray movies! The dvds I tried were all on single layer (dvd-r) media and the BluRay were BD-RE 25gb medias with the movies in avchd format. I could select 5.1 and DTS audio and switch subtitles so this part worked as well. Only problem I experienced was with a bluray movie freezing and giving green screen on my tv. I just disconnected the power from my WD box and rebooted.
I will try to test the LAN option soon too see if it will work on wlan and/or lan.

Perhaps Bluetooth could be added as a feature so one could transfer pictures and music from various bluetooth sources.

But thanks for a nice firmware which so far is a nice experience for me  :)

May 09, 2009, 08:29:33 AM
Reply #29

moustique

Hi, I'm using WDTV + 1TB My Book (connects to USB1) + DWA-140 (connects to USB2) + nfs share. Installed WDLXTV-0.5.3 10 minutes ago, tried to play few movies in avi, mkv formats. In my case, most buttons on the remote controller stopped working while playing the videos. Now I'm downgrading the firmware to 0.5.2.
WDLXTV 0.5.7.1
wireless-mod-seb.app.bin
dropbear-ssh.app.bin
nfs.app.bin
pure-ftpd.app.bin
WDTV USB1 <- WD My Book Essential
WDTV USB2 <- D-Link DWA-140 <-> D-Link DIR-605