Author Topic: Network disconnect after 3 minutes of video  (Read 9885 times)

January 30, 2010, 12:32:18 PM
Reply #15

Bullet

It really isn't hard to set up once you do it once or twice.
Since your settings are so different from mine, It would seem that it dosen't matter how you set it up. It's all in the "touch"...BUT, after finding this site in pursuit of resolving this huge problem of network drops....nothing I found and tried here worked for me. I got my setup info directly from WD phone support. I had a great rep on the phone who was very eager to resolve this issue, and he was very precise and sure as he walked me through each step....and it WORKED!!
I am convinced the WD Media Player does not need an update to resolve the issue of network drops during movie playback.
Bullet
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:36:13 PM by Bullet »

January 30, 2010, 02:47:31 PM
Reply #16

Bullet

Hello,

I am experiencing network disconnects when watching videos, that reside on my Windows 7 pc network shares.

When I switch on my WDTV Live I am able to browse the network shares, select a video and start playing.
But after about 3-5 minutes of watching I get disconnected.

All my network shares from my Windows 7 pcs are then not visible anymore.
My Brother Network printer share is still visible.

What causes this?
How can I resolve the problem?

Best regards,
-Adrian
For anyone still having network drops...don't give up. The solution has everything to do with 'correctly" setting up your Share/ Permissions/ Ownership and Advanced Sharing settings of Windows 7, also make certain to resolve any possible ip conflicts. It's not easy, it takes time and patience but the WD Live Player WILL work.
Bullet

January 31, 2010, 06:31:08 AM
Reply #17

pablotaku

hi,

same discon prob over here. it worked 10 days faultless out of the box with my acer windows home server nas. the network drop problem started a few days ago without any
changing of network hardware/software settings. ive tried alot with direct network cabeling. other router/switch and user/share settings, no chance, it does not work properly anymore. youtube vids and the media server are visible, bu no stable connection to the shares. really annoying. ill send it back, lets see if the new one will work as it was and as it should be.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:40:29 AM by pablotaku »

January 31, 2010, 09:52:18 PM
Reply #18

Whoheart

Set the WORKGROUP to WORKGROUP no other name will work.

Given that Linux (OS on the Live) doesn't use workgroups, that seems odd... (and my workgroup is called MSHOME with no problems)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

January 31, 2010, 11:25:43 PM
Reply #19

XBoNeSX

that explain why drops out ... shitty  linux OS !

February 02, 2010, 04:23:54 AM
Reply #20

cv00305

i got the exact same problem, but i have noticed that each time wd can't find my pc, all the other non Windows7 pc can't find me also. So i disconnect and connect my pc(wireless) and then wd can find my pc again. My opinion is that something is wrong with my pci wireless adapter's drivers (perhaps not fully compatible with Win7, i use vista ones). You connect to router via cable or wireless?

February 02, 2010, 02:04:07 PM
Reply #21

XBoNeSX

I'm using Ethernet cable via switch ! .. doubt it wireless issue ... its the unit itself ..

February 09, 2010, 03:49:37 PM
Reply #22

blob4000

THE FOLLOWING WORKED FOR ME:

I struggled to get my WDTV Live (with firmware .17) to play videos for more than a few minutes before cutting out, from my Windows 7 or Windows XP PCs.

The solution was to change my network's workgroup name to WORKGROUP.
This points to some lazy programming on the part of Western Digital - other workgroup names may allow you to connect to the WDTV Live and play videos, but using any workgroup name other than 'WORKGROUP' also seems to reduce the stability from < 0% to 100% failure.

Otherwise, just make sure that the folders you're sharing from have the proper user ('Everyone') account settings and Read/Write permissions.

By the way, I'm using my WDTV Live as part of my ethernet network - so I'm not sure if other problems stemming from its use with WiFi don't apply here.

February 15, 2010, 09:14:28 PM
Reply #23

dribbller1

I struggled to get my WDTV Live (with firmware .17) to play videos for more than a few minutes before cutting out, from my Windows 7 or Windows XP PCs.

This points to some lazy programming on the part of Western Digital - other workgroup names may allow you to connect to the WDTV Live and play videos, but using any workgroup name other than 'WORKGROUP' also seems to reduce the stability from < 0% to 100% failure.

Otherwise, just make sure that the folders you're sharing from have the proper user ('Everyone') account settings and Read/Write permissions.

By the way, I'm using my WDTV Live as part of my ethernet network - so I'm not sure if other problems stemming from its use with WiFi don't apply here.

How/where do I change the name to WORKGROUP???????????

My WDTV used to be fine...well when I say fine I mean the usual hard to find shares on windows 7 but never had drop outs.... Now after fiddling around with the settings as it wouldn't find shares after .24 update its worse than ever as I am too getting the 3 minute drop outs.

I have set network discovery on etc etc but I want to change the network name to WORKGROUP...... how?

****ALL GOOD**** I read synaptic post in an earlier post I missed that tells how to do it :) now ill see if it works.

After changing name to WORKGROUP and testing I can confirm that this worked :) very happy so thanks guys!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:15:23 PM by dribbller1 »

February 17, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Reply #24

Whoheart

I've never used "workgroup" - and that naming is a Microsoft invention - its not used under Linux.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

February 17, 2010, 09:12:05 PM
Reply #25

dribbller1

I've never used "workgroup" - and that naming is a Microsoft invention - its not used under Linux.

You cant argue with fact!!!

and the fact is my network was dropping out on every movie every time after several minutes without fail...not once did it not drop out.... I tried re-booting the WDTV several times and tried re-booting the PC several times and it still dropped out every time without fail.

Then without touching any other setting or re-booting anything I changed the network name to WORKGROUP... PC asked for a re-start which I did but never turned off ther WDTV live... when the pc started again I put on a movie and it played and played and played without a dropout.... happy but still not convinced I played about 8 pixar shorts (that would only last 2 mins) and they all played from start to finish without a problem.... that was a few days ago and today its still 100% perfect :)

So for me Im pretty convinced that changing the network name to WORKGROUP does something good :)

Cheers :)

February 19, 2010, 01:34:24 PM
Reply #26

Whoheart

[/quote]

I'm not, just pointing out the FACTS that the workgroup is something use by MS and not Linux - and that mine was never called workgroup (its called MSHOME).

and the fact is my network was dropping out on every movie every time after several minutes without fail...not once did it not drop out.... I tried re-booting the WDTV several times and tried re-booting the PC several times and it still dropped out every time without fail.

Then without touching any other setting or re-booting anything I changed the network name to WORKGROUP... PC asked for a re-start which I did but never turned off ther WDTV live... when the pc started again I put on a movie and it played and played and played without a dropout.... happy but still not convinced I played about 8 pixar shorts (that would only last 2 mins) and they all played from start to finish without a problem.... that was a few days ago and today its still 100% perfect :)

So for me Im pretty convinced that changing the network name to WORKGROUP does something good :)

Perhaps its your router which uses it?
Did you enter an IP number or did the router assign it?

I suspect the Live may get confused if the router tries to renew the lease on the IP number.

February 19, 2010, 02:30:29 PM
Reply #27

dribbller1

I'm not, just pointing out the FACTS that the workgroup is something use by MS and not Linux - and that mine was never called workgroup (its called MSHOME).

Perhaps its your router which uses it?
Did you enter an IP number or did the router assign it?

I suspect the Live may get confused if the router tries to renew the lease on the IP number.

[/quote]

Maybe is the router.... I never assigned any ip numbers.

I have had my wdtv from release and I never had that drop out problem once... UNTILL... a mate gave me his laptop to re-install windows xp for him which gave me a lot of problems.... one of those problems was getting the laptop to network off my desktop.... unbeknown to me in the process of trying to get the network to the laptop up and running my windows 7 network name got changed to XPSHARE..... it was after that my drop outs started.... thank god the guys in here suggested that change as I would never have guessed that to be the problem :)..... soon as I changed it to WORKGROUP I had my old WDTV Live back :) no drop outs at all.