Author Topic: (First post) Mounting NFS share w/o USB drive plugged in (and other Qs ..:))  (Read 1454 times)

January 17, 2010, 09:50:59 AM
Read 1454 times

FlorianO

Hello all,

First and foremost a bit of disclaimer: While I've been using Linux for longer than I care to admit, I'm completely new to WD TV Live and WDLXTV (I bought my device yesterday...).

So far: After more trial and error than I would normally like for a new device, I flashed it with WDLXTV 0.3.4.1 and managed to get my NFS share mounted at boot via "/tmp/conf/net.mounts"

One thing that is annoying is that the mount is done under "/tmp/media/usb/USB1/" which, from what I gather (pls correct me if I'm wrong) is the first USB slot. While I can acess via CLI that directory w/o problems, in the OSD that "local" drive appears only if a USB drive is plugged into that USB slot. After that is done, the "USB" icon is visible in the OSD and then I can access the NFS mounted share  alright and play media located there.

The question is: Can that be done w/o smth plugged into that slot ? Should I use the "cifs-interceptor" as described in the topic in this very forum ? Other suggestions ?  

Other questions:

- Wireless: I have a Dlink DWL-G122 (Rev C1) USB Wi-Fi adapter (RaLink rt73 chipset) which I would like to use instead of the current, wire-based connection (yes I know...). AFAICT the way to use that is via "wireless-mod.app.bin". However, the only instructions  I can find mention putting the supplied files ("wdtv.bin" and "wdtv.ver") and the config file ("net.config") in the root of a pen drive.
   Does it work w/o an USB drive ? Is it enough placing them under "/tmp" ? In this case, what's the proper location for the "net.config" file, is it "/tmp/conf" ? Other suggestions ?

- Minor annoyances. Again, I've only toyed with the device for a couple of hours, so sorry if I'm missing smth obvious. TIA for understanding

a) Built-in player: I but so far I didn't managed to:
   - Control the audio volume
   - Skip to "chapters" in an MKV file that has those
   - Skip to a particular time offset in the file

b) With the official firmware (1.0.17) I could connect to YouTube, but not with WDLXTV ? Am I missing smth there ?

TIA for the understanding and for the help.

January 17, 2010, 11:04:39 AM
Reply #1

discon

Hey FlorianO,

I got my WDTVLive a few days ago and it so happens I have an Rt73 based USB Wireless adapter as well.

I installed WDLXTV 0.3.4.1 today and I have the same problem with the mounts, the OSD won't show them unless there's a USB drive plugged-in.

From what I understand, the wireless-mod.app.bin is for the older WDTV model (not the Live) that had no networking capabilities out of the box. Unless I'm mistaken (I'd be glad to be proven wrong) you can't use that because it's built for that model and the rt73 module built for that, slightly older, kernel version.

I spent most of the day today trying to get the rt73 to work (booting with the EXT3-BOOT_LIVE-0.3.4.1 on a USB stick); I've managed to cross-compile these drivers and I "insmod" the module successfully but when I plug the device in, dmesg reports that the module can't find the firmware (rt73.bin), even though I've copied it all over the place. Let me know if you find a solution!

January 17, 2010, 11:29:58 AM
Reply #2

FlorianO

discon,

Thanks for the info, appreciated. I missed that part with the "wireless-mod.app.bin" being only for the player (and not for Live). Well, now that you mention it, the page I got if from (http://www.wdtvc.com/2009/04/06/how-to-config-wifi-usb-adapter-with-wd-tv/)  does mention "WD TV HD"... DO I need to mention that I'm new to this :) ?

"Hmm, cross-compiling the modules you say ..." :) Joke aside, this turns to be more time consuming than I would care. Anyway, the weekend is almost over and got to wrap it up -- I guess for the time being I can live with the setup I have (sepparate, shared wired-to-wireless adapter and the fact that I must leave smth plugged into the USB port)

OTOH in the wild searching I did over the weekend I had a vague memory of rt73-based adaptors reported to be working in WDLXTV.  If I find it and I make any progress  on that I'll get back here.  Still, I hope someone would care to helo and give a hint to speed that process :)

Thanks again.

P.S. Any hint regarding the audio volume and the seek in the video file  ? Thanks :)