Author Topic: Another thumbnail fix ... but still a workaround  (Read 12553 times)

January 21, 2010, 05:06:59 PM
Reply #15

elinks

Hey thumbgen glad you heard the call.

Like I said with this technique incorporated in your fine app the organization and utility of the Live will be improved dramatically.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help with this task at the moment but I just recently bought my box and I'm just now getting my feet under me.  I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.

I was beginning to have some buyers remorse but flashed with b-rad's FW, found your tool and Kheda's technique and now I'm feeling better.

Looking forward to seeing your work this weekend!

elinks

January 21, 2010, 11:23:16 PM
Reply #16

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
I got it working in some test app (sample.mp4 + cover.jpg = sample.mp4 with embedded jpg) now I need to integrate it inside ThumbGen and then I would like to ask some of you to test it before I release it officialy (I am too lazy to setup my network and test it properly  :-[ )
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:28:48 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

January 22, 2010, 04:44:51 AM
Reply #17

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
One question :)

What do we do with the episodes of a TV Show?

/Videos
/Videos/folder.jpg
/Videos/Prison Break S1/PB S01E01.avi
/Videos/Prison Break S1/PB S01E01.jpg
/Videos/Prison Break S1/PB S01E02.avi
/Videos/Prison Break S1/PB S01E02.jpg

??

Same question applies to movies that have several parts (CD1-x).

Currently I am able to generate the zzz.mp4 for movies that are alone inside a folder (the existing movie.jpg and/or folder.jpg are renamed to *.jpg_tg). Is this ok? For folders that have several movies inside, I embed folder.jpg (if present) or the last .jpg found there.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:51:09 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 22, 2010, 07:25:34 AM
Reply #18

kheda

Hi Thumbgen,

With reference to my setup I've only thumbnailed as far as the Season and then left the episodes themselves without thumbnails. To clarify using your example:

/Videos
/Videos/folder.jpg
/Videos/Prison Break
/Videos/Prison Break/folder.jpg        (with an intertitle for the
thumbnail - I usually get these from Wikipedia)
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 1
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 1/folder.jpg               (with a specific
boxart thumbnail for that particular Season 1)
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 1/PB S01E01.avi
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 1/PB S01E02.avi

/Videos/Prison Break/Season 2
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 2/folder.jpg               (with a specific
boxart thumbnail for that particular Season 2)
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 2/PB S02E01.avi
/Videos/Prison Break/Season 2/PB S02E02.avi
... etc

In this way you can navigate to Prison Break, then into Season 2 (all with appropriate thumbnails) but then choose from the generic list of 24
episodes or whatever).

I chose this way (as opposed to moving each episode into a folder with, for example, PB S01E01.avi and zzz.mp4 etc) because it seemed a little bit pointless (in so much as all 24 episodes per series would have the same thumbnail) or too much of a loading (if you had to spend the time to extract a particular frame from every .avi so that every .avi had an individual thumbnail.

In fact I did initially start doing this on some seasons I had in .mp4 format (so all I had to do was embed a thumbnail) but basically it just took toooooooooo long..

Basically my fix only really works for folders with only a single movie
inside as it means the folder has a thumbnail (the .mp4) whilst clicking
on it launches the movie (the .avi)

January 22, 2010, 07:47:51 AM
Reply #19

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Right, as I expected. Anyway, maybe the method will help some users, so I implemented it in ThumbGen (2 buttons "Batch Apply Fix" and "Batch Remove Fix", hopefully when/if WD will solve the issue, I can remove them).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:13:15 PM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 22, 2010, 12:23:53 PM
Reply #20

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Ok, 0.9.8 can be tested.

I did not make any tests on WDTV regarding the .mp4 trick, please test it and report if there are any problems.
ThumbGen "reads" in the Select Folders dialog both .jpg and .jpg_tg so the trick is completely transparent for the user.

Do not ask to generate it _instead_ of the thumbnail coz I will not do it. Generate your thumnails normally and then, go to Select Folders dialog, select your folders and click "Apply fix". If something goes wrong, you are not happy or you do not need the fix anymore, do the same but click "Remove fix". Everything should go back to "default" state. I think the feature is reasonable and I hope WD will come with a proper solution soon.

Have fun  ;)
Get ThumbGen!

January 22, 2010, 09:27:56 PM
Reply #21

elinks

Thumbgen

I am happy to report the additions you made to 0.9.8 for adding the .mp4 "Batch Apply Fix" and "Batch Remove Fix" worked perfectly for my test cases tonight.

Thank you very much! ;D

It is the efforts of people like you that make these products as good as they can be.  I hope WD implements a fix for the double icon but until then I will continue to use your fine thumbgen tool with the fix to quickly add thumbnails for videos on my network share.

P.S.  A big thank you goes out to kheda as well (again) for his .mp4 idea!

elinks

January 22, 2010, 09:34:32 PM
Reply #22

Browneye9000

Kheda,

I just tried your workaround and it works perfectly.  I actually went out and found a very small 6 second mp4 and used that one over and over with MetaX.  Sure this all takes time that we shouldn't have to spend (thanx to WDTV) but after months I finally have a unit my kids can use without me bricking my unit trying to install someones customized firmware.

You've made me very happy.  I knew there had to be a workaround and you've found it.

Thanks

January 25, 2010, 07:19:02 AM
Reply #23

smck9800

I just stumbled upon Thumbgen this weekend and love it, and subsequently ran smack into the double thumbnail issue on my WHS share.

The fix built into ThumbGen sounds great, but...

I have all of my movies as single MKV or DivX files in just a few directories.

Does anyone know of a utility that will take these movies and rename/move them into a one-movie-per-sub-directory named after the movie file?

The wife/kid acceptance factor will be greatly increased once I get the thumbnail duplicate fixed.  I can't believe that WD thinks that this is a "feature" rather than a bug.

Thx

January 25, 2010, 10:38:33 AM
Reply #24

kheda

Hi smck9800,

It really is an interesting 'feature' isn't it?!

As you're running Thumbgen I'm assuming you're on Windows, not Mac OS X? The reason I ask is if, by some chance, you have a Mac with access to your shared media I'd be happy to knock up a little application to scout through your folder and make a new folder for every movie and then place the MKV/DivX within it. I only develop for Mac though so otherwise I can't help you sorry.

It's a good request though so hopefully someone else will be able to do similar for Windows?

January 25, 2010, 11:09:46 AM
Reply #25

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
@smck9800

Read this http://ask.metafilter.com/50369/How-to-move-files-into-subdirectories-in-batch-job  

Basically u go in the folder where u have a lot of movies, u start a command prompt (cmd) and type

for %i in (*) do mkdir "%~ni" & move "%i" "%~ni"

That's it.

Have fun ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:15:42 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 26, 2010, 08:54:46 AM
Reply #26

ck.null

very good Idea. Getting used to it.

January 28, 2010, 05:04:43 AM
Reply #27

smck9800

Read this http://ask.metafilter.com/50369/How-to-move-files-into-subdirectories-in-batch-job  

Basically u go in the folder where u have a lot of movies, u start a command prompt (cmd) and type

for %i in (*) do mkdir "%~ni" & move "%i" "%~ni"

@Thumbgen -- that's just too easy.   Thank you for the help and the work on Thumbgen!

January 29, 2010, 08:41:49 AM
Reply #28

jeffers

I've been a bit slow to reply to this but just wanted to say the addition of Kheda's 'dual thumbs' solution into Thumbgen is superb.  Thanks to both of you for making the effort.  Great work.  ;D

May 08, 2010, 10:08:23 PM
Reply #29

dribbller1

maybe Im doing something wrong but this didnt work for me... the zzz.mp4 doesnt show as a thumb for the folder.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:56:24 AM by dribbller1 »