Author Topic: Bugs related to case, etc (v1.03.01)  (Read 1772 times)

January 14, 2010, 06:05:34 PM
Read 1772 times

Saint59

See http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2744.0 for an issue I discovered related to uppercase .VOB extension.

As I suggested there, this may be related to other extensions too.

This applies to to v1.03.01 firmware and possibly previous ones.

P.S. We are still waiting for another firmware update, which will fix the track name issue/bug in audio playlists, etc. Track Name (ID3 value) should be displaying instead of filename (when that option is set in settings). This should also occur in the Playing Now window. Currently Track Name only displays via Artist view selection. It is not displaying in the Album, Folder, Playlist or All Audio views and it should be.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:39:45 PM by Saint59 »

May 01, 2010, 12:33:40 PM
Reply #1

Saint59

I've now been able to determine a couple more things. (Firmware 1.03.01)

AUDIO FILES
(1) If you make changes to drive content, then the next time the drive is connected to WD TV, and even though the settings still display 'Title', in reality it displays 'Filename' until you change it to 'Filename' and then back again to 'Title'.
(2) I've determined that even with the display settings on 'Title', the title only shows when browsing in Artist or Album views ... never in Folder, Playing Now or Playlist views.
(3) By far the most intuitive and best way to access audio files in a large collection, is by Folder view ... especially if you store your Mp3's in an alphabetic system that includes Artist & Album folders (i.e. MUSIC\A\ABBA\Arrival\ABBArr01.mp3). It is certainly the fastest and least congestive way to browse, with much less scrolling ... which is so damn slow at times ... because the WD TV temporarily freezes after every 2nd screen full. SO IT IS SUCH A SHAME, that 'Filenames' always display instead of 'Titles', even though ID3 tag titles are available.
(4) Also, the best way to play Mp3's is by using playlists, which you can pretty easily create for Artist, Album, Collections, etc. SO IT IS SUCH A SHAME, that 'Filenames' always display instead of 'Titles' in playlists, even though ID3 tag titles are available and the entries in the M3U playlist also contain titles.
(5) So most of the time, I can't tolerate using the WD TV, because it doesn't show titles in the only two ways I find sensible to use it ... that's because it takes far too long to browse to the songs I want using Artist, Album or Genre views ... and that's only with about 6,000 songs.
(6) The iPod and many programs/players abbreviate/rename audio tracks to short filenames. I like many others, use the drive for my WD TV as a backup of my audio files, so I'm not about to spend hours (if not days) renaming my files to longer track titles. The WD TV shouldn't ever be looking at filenames to get track titles ... certainly not for files like Mp3 which should have their ID3 tags filled in.
[7] In Artist or Album views, I discovered that the degree character causes a blank title to display (i.e. 99.9F displayed nothing instead of just ignoring the (degree) character or better still, it should be displaying it).
[8] I note also, that sorting alphabetically does not always work correctly, as lowercase names are sometimes not mixed in with uppercase ones. Case should only become a precedent issue with identical names that only differ in case.

VIDEO FILES
Some VOB & ISO files do not play. This seems to be related to case and size. For instance, I discovered that a 530 Mb DVD folder structure (one vob) wouldn't play - either by browsing to the VOB file or putting the whole thing in a an ISO container. If I removed the vob file from the VIDEO_TS folder, it played perfectly ... provided it had a short name and the .vob extension was lowercase.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:39:03 PM by Saint59 »