Author Topic: Again WMV9 and Audio problem  (Read 3306 times)

March 14, 2009, 01:13:54 AM
Read 3306 times

petergedoens

Hi everyone,

i 've major problems getting wmv's to work correctly on the wdtv.
I've several WMV-movies that when trying to play them on the wdtv have no sound (audio not supported). They were originally encoded for my XBOX360 and play fine on it.

I tried the streaming/conversion posted http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=22.0 using SUPER and XVID4PSP. But that didn't help. (muxing with XVID4PSP also didn't work, so i used MKVMerge)

Are there any other tools that i could try? Or is there a programm that can analyse my WMV's so that i really know which Video and Audio codec is used in this video (like video is wm3; bitrate 6500kbit/s - audio is wma; 2 Channels 448kbits/s)

March 14, 2009, 03:02:22 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
There is a great program called media encoder http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en.   It is free so check it out.  It should tell you exactly what you are working with.  I try to avoid WMV at all costs.   I am using a program called MeGUI as well to transcode video.  It may help you but without more info I am not sure.

Good luck!

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 14, 2009, 08:19:27 AM
Reply #2

petergedoens

This is the info i got with mediainfo.
I think one problem is, that it's not "mux-able" with tsmuxer as a .ts file. But i've no clue why it's not working.

MediaInfo
Code: [Select]
Complete name                    : O:\movie.wmv
Format                           : Windows Media
File size                        : 14,7 GiB
Duration                         : 4h 10min
Overall bit rate mode            : konstant
Overall bit rate                 : 8 421 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 8 497 Kbps
Movie name                       : movie
Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-02-10 21:16:50.416

Video
ID                               : 2
Format                           : VC-1
Format profile                   : MP@HL
Codec ID                         : WMV3
Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Video 9
Codec ID/Hint                    : WMV3
Description of the codec         : Windows Media Video 9 - Professional
Bit rate mode                    : konstant
Bit rate                         : 8 000 Kbps
Width                            : 1 920 Pixel
Height                           : 800 Pixel
Display aspect ratio             : 2.400
Frame rate                       : 23,976 FPS
Nominal frame rate               : 29,970 FPS
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Scan type                        : progressiv
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.217
Language                         : Deutsch

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : WMA3
Format profile                   : M2
Codec ID                         : 162
Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Audio 3
Description of the codec         : Windows Media Audio 10 Professional - 440 kbps, 48 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit (A/V) 1-pass CBR
Bit rate mode                    : konstant
Bit rate                         : 440 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 Kanšle
Sampling rate                    : 48,0 KHz
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Language                         : Deutsch

March 14, 2009, 09:22:43 AM
Reply #3

petergedoens

Additional info:
when trying to mux the two seperated files (movie.ac3 and movie.wmv.MKV) i'm getting the Error: Unsupported file format.
When i change the extension from .wmv.MKV back to .wmv the stream can not be detected.

March 16, 2009, 12:08:13 AM
Reply #4

Jarcy

Additional info:
when trying to mux the two seperated files (movie.ac3 and movie.wmv.MKV) i'm getting the Error: Unsupported file format.
When i change the extension from .wmv.MKV back to .wmv the stream can not be detected.

Same issue here. Although the remuxed file plays fine on the PC using WMC (Windows media classic) so damn shame it can't be recognised

Would agree, steer well clear of WMV if you can, but I've inadvertently owned a few files and would really prefer to find a way to play them.

March 16, 2009, 12:14:43 AM
Reply #5

Jarcy

I would add that the ARCsoft software that comes withe the WDTV does convert WMV's... but slowly.

I have done it suddcessfully with small WMV files but failed on larger ones ie  around 8GB. With such large files the converter seems unstable (ie fails when you try to do something else in Windows). The program will create a file in AVI format. I did manage to create an AVI file from a WMV that was 8GB. It did play on the WDTV, but it was stuttered. Interestingly this AVI would not play in Windows media player or WMC.... go figure  ::)

March 16, 2009, 08:42:46 AM
Reply #6

petergedoens

True, the ARCsoft software can convert the wmv...slow, but converts them.
but it also converts the video, which can not be unchecked in any option menu.
So i let the software convert the complete file, extracted the audio and tried to re-mux it with the video stream...result: not playable.
Both, video stream and ac3 and seperately playable on the WDTV, but not together....

March 16, 2009, 12:14:51 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
You might try MediaConverter. 

Its a new program, and I have not checked it out as I don't have any WMV files. 

NEW Note: Don't Use this.   See below  :o

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:48:43 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 16, 2009, 03:13:12 PM
Reply #8

Jarcy

Hey Jay, thanks for that

Firstly, the program won't run on my Vista x 64, even in compatibility mode, I get some kind of Net Framework exception error.

Second, the freeware version of this program is loaded with limits inc filesize (100mb which is useless) and a restriction on how many times per day you can use it. Even the paid version can handle only 500 mb files. Finally, the author wants $150 per YEAR for rights. This entrepreneurial young programmer has the right idea but the wrong approach... good luck to him.

Besides, I managed it using XVID4PSP. Simply select the default "AVI Hardware HD" settings from the main screen open the WMV file, set output directory and away you go. Its slow but the resulting file plays in the WDTV. I am yet to play with other default output settings.

March 16, 2009, 03:47:16 PM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Jarcy,

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I had no idea the "limitations"   That is ridiculous when there are a lot of great FREE programs out there for converting video.   I will steer clear of that one.  What is the output format that is created with that setting in XVID4PSP?  Is it an Xvid or DiVx?
Also,  How does the file size and the quality compare? 

:)