Author Topic: Mencoder settings?  (Read 1434 times)

January 13, 2010, 01:14:57 PM
Read 1434 times


  • Newbie

  • Offline
  • *

  • 4
I've been using Mencoder (CLI) for years to convert DVD rips, and watching them on my modded XBox using XBMC.  Then a few months ago the XBox finally kicked the bucket.

Last Sunday, I bought a WDTV Live to replace it.  I hooked it up, and watched a few movies we'd downloaded a while back.  Everything went great; my wife and I were both thrilled with the device.  But later that night, I tried to watch an episode of a TV show I'd ripped, and found that the video would pause for about a second every 5-8 seconds, and throw off the audio sync as well.  At first I figured it to be a system load problem or a network latency problem, as I'd just kicked off another DVD conversion (the videos are stored on the same device that does the converting; it's an old P4 Celeron) but I checked out some of the shows we'd watched earlier and they played with no issues.

I've done some checking, modifying my Mencoder script, but so far nothing has worked.  I'm desperate for some help - as of right now, 90% of my video library is basically unwatchable due to these pauses.

If anybody else uses Mencoder to convert DVDs and has no problems viewing them on the WDTV Live, please post your settings so I can try them out.  I have no idea what could be causing these pauses, or how to fix it.