Author Topic: Experiences with 1.01.17-update  (Read 38746 times)

January 11, 2010, 05:44:24 PM
Reply #15

danjo1

Mine downloaded the update, rebooted and now it's stuck with the blue WD logo (since about 15 minutes). Don't really know what to do next. I'm afraid to pull the power plug as it might brick it... ffs :-[

Well that's just great! WD has done it again, my WD TV Live is bricked. I get the screen that says to insert a usb drive with the firmware. If you insert a usb drive with the firmware NOTHING happens. Way to go WD, way to go!

Mine did the same thing.  I left it at the Blue WD logo for about 20 minutes and decided to pull the power.  Looks like it's bricked... I get a screen asking to insert a USB drive with firmware updates.  Inserting a USB drive that is FAT or FAT32 formatted into either USB port does nothing.  Anyone have any suggestions??

EDIT: I was using a wired connection.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:16:45 PM by danjo1 »

January 11, 2010, 06:00:56 PM
Reply #16

discopig

Update through the WDTV interface over a wired internet connection. No problems at all. Of course nothing is fixed from the old firmware, but i will keep hoping.
OSD does seem more responsive as others have mentioned.

January 11, 2010, 06:06:53 PM
Reply #17

bertrandr

Updated from .11 to .17 with no problems at all, -took about 3 min for the download & install.
Connected to network / Internet via wired Ethernet and static network settings.
Using standard firmware.

When posting your experience with this upgrade please indicate how you are connected to the net; Wired, wireless, DHCP or static IP's etc...

BR
Playback on: WDTV-Live via Yamaha RXV-1800 Receiver
Wild Media Server installed on: Windows Home Server (3Tb custom build)
Viewing on: 46" Samsung  6-Series  LCD

January 11, 2010, 06:20:02 PM
Reply #18

photo1rebel

Just intalled. Think it bricked the machine. Down went fine, then the WDTV re-booted. On re-boot, the box hung on the spash screen. After about 15 min, I power cycled the box. Now it comes up to a screen that says to load firmware from a flash drive (in 9 diff languages). So, I downloaded firmware from the web site. Unpacked to a flash drive, inserted into WDTV and power cycled. It comes back up to the same screen (load via firmware in 9 diff languages). Very frustrating. I've only had the box for a week or so. Anyone know what I can do to recover it? I put a support email into Western Digital.

January 11, 2010, 06:55:41 PM
Reply #19

Sorna

The update went very smoothly for me.

I think now it takes less time to boot the unit.

This is a good thing for me. My tv has a automatic start feature. With the former firmware (1.01.11) my tv would start when I switch wdtv-live on, but then the tv would scan different inputs and would end up in RF input (I think that wdtv-live does not maintain the signal output during the boot process).

With this firmware (1.01.17) my TV starts and remain with the wdtv-live input. I am a happy man now,  :).

Thanks.

January 11, 2010, 07:19:33 PM
Reply #20

grok42

Mine update fine over network with DHCP IP.  I can neither confirm or deny the interface being more reponsive.  I am eager to test if any changes to networked drives with .jpg files in video folders have been made.  I'm 100% happy with the WD Live the ~3 months I've had it except for this one huge bad design decision.

January 11, 2010, 07:21:15 PM
Reply #21

theromulans

Update worked perfectly for me - thanks guys.

January 11, 2010, 07:46:29 PM
Reply #22

req

Hey all. I just upgraded to .17 a little while ago. Download and install went fine, but now I can't get my Network Share to show what's in the share. The first time it just said "Could Not Connect to Media Server". I unplugged it, plugged it back in and went back to network share and this time it found only one shared folder (out of 7). I even tried clearing the network share login info via setup and no go (although it somehow managed to maintain the login info even though I cleared it). I just checked my NAS where the shares are and everything is there, just doesn't show up on WDTV Live. Help!  :'(

EDIT: I went back to clear network login settings then unplugged it and powered back on. that seemed to fix it. everything seems to be ok now. phew  :-\
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:01:18 PM by req »

January 11, 2010, 07:57:46 PM
Reply #23

rjmacuser

My update via wifi went smoothly, then tested some different movie files and everything seemed to be ok. Then suddenly it kept sending me back to the main screen. I unplugged and let it reboot. After boot all that showed was a blue screen. After another boot all that is showing is a gold screen!!! I am getting very upset that I had not just got a Apple TV!!!! Anyone have any ideas as to what WD is doing? ???

January 12, 2010, 06:50:23 AM
Reply #24

ronald-petersen

Can you give me more details on what happened? What version were you updating from? Did you have any modded firmware installed? What firmware did you put on your USB drive to try to recover? Are you at the black screen with the red circles warning about firmware problems?

I would really appreciate your feedback about this.
Okay, here are the details. I turned on my WD TV Live (FW 1.01.11, connected to the internet via ethernet) and it said there was a new firmware available. So I chose to automaticly update. It downloaded the update fine and then told me it would reboot to apply the update. It rebooted but it never fully booted to the menu but instead it got stuck at the screen with the big blue WD logo. After like 30 mins of nothing happening but showing the WD logo screen, I decided to pull the plug (as the off-button on the remote did nothing). Pulled the plug, the device rebooted and tada - there I was with a bricked WD TV Live. It'll now only show the mentioned black screen which tells me to insert a usb drive with the firmware to recover the device in like 10 languages. Plugging in a usb drive does nothing, though.

I called WD this morning and they told me to press the reset button for about 15 seconds to reset the device which didn't help. Looks like I'm going to RMA the device.

January 12, 2010, 07:37:10 AM
Reply #25

ALF

update from 1.01.11 to 1.01.17 worked without a hitch.

WDTV live, wired connection using DHCP

Switched it on this morning, it offered me the update. I accepted with slight qualms because of the 1.01.12 debacle.
Downloaded in about 5 minutes, rebooted itself.

Then it showed me the WD logo for about a minute, blanked the screen, showed me the logo again (I was getting nervous) and then the GUI came up.

It took a little while to discover my network shares and even longer to connect to YouTube, but now it seems to be working without problems.

I cannot detect any differences to the previous .11 firmware, but at least it is not bricked.

Is the "improved stability of the update manager" the only improvement, or does it include anything from 1.01.12?
Where are the realease notes from 1.01.12?

Considering the above posts, the stability of the update manager has not beeen improved by much. Or are these problems caused by the update manager of 1.01.11? Then any updates from 1.01.11 are going to be difficult.

At least mine works!

Cheers!

January 12, 2010, 08:03:49 AM
Reply #26

uofljosh

Updated via wifi from .11 with no problems.  The GUI seems more responsive and quicker.  Boot time also seemed quicker.  Best of all I can now FINALLY see my Windows 7 share folder.  I had tried numerous methods to get the Windows 7 network shares to show up on the WD Live with no luck.  This finally solved it.

January 12, 2010, 09:57:50 AM
Reply #27

Muckish

The update seems to have made the screen cleaner and maybe a bit faster even?

However, still... if I try to log on to my YouTube account the device crashes and turns off and restarts... I can't log in.

I am connected wirelessly, everything else works.

January 12, 2010, 10:16:05 AM
Reply #28

uofljosh

The update seems to have made the screen cleaner and maybe a bit faster even?

However, still... if I try to log on to my YouTube account the device crashes and turns off and restarts... I can't log in.

I am connected wirelessly, everything else works.

Did you try creating a new YouTube account?  That worked for me.  Its kind of a pain but it has worked for me since I created a new account and use that one with the Live.

January 12, 2010, 10:23:50 AM
Reply #29

cgmark

If your box was bricked in this update did you have any external drives connected at the time ?
Trying to think of why it works for some but not others.
I flashed mine with nothing attached except networking and video.