Author Topic: ISO skips on WDTV2 but not computer  (Read 1950 times)

January 17, 2010, 12:48:43 PM
Read 1950 times

vice86

Hey folks...just picked up a WDTV2 and love it. So far I have had no problems playing any .avi or .mkv files. Yesterday I decided to start making .iso back ups of my already backed up dvdr. I used DVD Decrypter to rip to .iso and when I played thru on the WD (both network and thru USB HDD) it would skip/stop/stutter at certain parts. Tried re-ripping with Magic ISO but same thing.

Used Virtual Clone Drive to load it up on my Windows 7 machine and the video plays fine.

Any ideas? Is it just that WD doesn't handle ISO files as well as avi and mkv?

I really don't want to backup my collection to .avi cuz it takes forever to back up..about 45 mins compared to ripping a movie to .iso at 5-6 mins. Of course quite a difference in file size but I don't mind.

January 19, 2010, 12:21:37 AM
Reply #1

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
I had no skips in ISO so far ony lockups when ff too much.

January 19, 2010, 07:25:07 AM
Reply #2

belfour

Hey folks...just picked up a WDTV2 and love it. So far I have had no problems playing any .avi or .mkv files. Yesterday I decided to start making .iso back ups of my already backed up dvdr. I used DVD Decrypter to rip to .iso and when I played thru on the WD (both network and thru USB HDD) it would skip/stop/stutter at certain parts. Tried re-ripping with Magic ISO but same thing.

Used Virtual Clone Drive to load it up on my Windows 7 machine and the video plays fine.

I really don't want to backup my collection to .avi cuz it takes forever to back up..about 45 mins compared to ripping a movie to .iso at 5-6 mins. Of course quite a difference in file size but I don't mind.

I had the same problem as you. I couldnít figure it out except that my unit doesnít support ISO files. So I ripped all my files with makemkv. Check it out at www.videohelp.com.

Belfour
"Life is like a Jar of Jalapeno's, what you do today will burn your ass tomorrow"

February 09, 2010, 06:22:42 PM
Reply #3

vice86

Well for shites and giggles I bought a Seagate Free Agent Theater+....tried 3 ISO files that gave me problems on the WDLive and they played perfectly fine on the Seagate with no skipping whatsoever. Boggled

February 09, 2010, 07:28:41 PM
Reply #4

vice86

I had the same problem as you. I couldn’t figure it out except that my unit doesn’t support ISO files. So I ripped all my files with makemkv. Check it out at www.videohelp.com.

Belfour

Thanks Belfour...using MakeMKV now...might as well rip them all like that instead. At least I know there's no problem with that format and it doesn't lose any quality vs. an ISO back up.

Takes a little longer but its aight. Wondering if there's other Disc to MKV software that rips faster or is it limited by my disc reader...11-12x is the fastest I get but averages between 5-9x