Author Topic: Home Movie Thumbnail creator?  (Read 11997 times)

January 11, 2010, 08:53:16 AM
Read 11997 times

morris_the_cat

Hey guys,
I see there are a couple of thumbnail generators for feature films.  But how about one for home movies?  Is there anything that can scan the directory of home movies, and save a jpg frame shot of one of the first frames or so of each clip (avi, mov, mts), and then make it the same name as the movie?  That would make it so much easier to scan home movies.
Thanks.

January 11, 2010, 10:55:12 AM
Reply #1

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Try muvix :)

http://www.codres.de/muvix/

Or wait for the 0.9 release of ThumbGen... you'll get there the possibility to make snapshots from any movie (including your own ones) and use them as thumbnails.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:10:11 PM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

January 13, 2010, 08:22:21 AM
Reply #2

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
The ThumbGen 0.9 has what you want  :D
Get ThumbGen!

February 05, 2010, 11:07:29 PM
Reply #3

morris_the_cat

Thanks guys. 

Movix seems to want to take a snapshot every 2 % or however you set it up.  Not really practical when I only need one pic for the thumnail.

Thumbgen seems to be able to do it, but it is cumbersome since I have hundreds of home movies & the automatic mode doesn't seem to support doing screen snapshots.  That is too bad.  Is there a way I can make a request to the developer?  To do every movie one at a time is just insane.  It would be nice if it could just grab the 1st frame & make it the thumbnail, and automatically move to the next.

February 06, 2010, 12:47:32 AM
Reply #4

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Hmm... I will think how complicate is to adapt your idea. Maybe having a mode like "I want to automatically process my own movies"; this mode will have the search disabled and will capture automatically one frame from the movie (so no user assistance at all). If there are any results that are not quite ok, I assume u can fix them manually, by capturing a proper frame manually (eg. the first frame is a black screen or something like that)

I am a bit against the automatic generated things (as it is producing not fully controllable results) but I will think about a way to improve the handling of home-movies.

PS: There is always a way to make requests to the ThumbGen developer by simply posting here :) You just need a bit of patience until your request reaches the "Released" status (I do ThumbGen in my spare time so it has a quite low prio compared with the projects that bring me money) ;)
Get ThumbGen!

February 06, 2010, 01:23:21 AM
Reply #5

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
I've just got another idea, that maybe helps you...

Google for "ffmpeg".

Eg: http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=390

You can make a script that suits your needs and generate (blindly) screenshots from your movies.

BTW, how do you want to get the screenshot as thumb, since the screenshot is widescreen and the thumb is poster? I am just wondering....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:02:21 PM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

February 06, 2010, 11:01:17 PM
Reply #6

migube

Hi Thumbgen, we could have 2 frames above each other or something ?
tx looking forward for this automatic feature on home moveis as well :)
-----
WdTvLive - LG BD390 - Philips 47PFL8404h - Logitech  Z5400 - DM7000 - Synology 107+
If you developed some application or know about some new WDTVLive app.bin or binary files, please update the Wiki on http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Appz

February 06, 2010, 11:41:43 PM
Reply #7

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
I was already thinking a bit (but not too much because I am working no MovieSheets now) and I want to try what u suggest: to make 2-4 screenshots (depending on default thumbnail size) and build up a "full" thumbnail. Then user has also a bigger chance to recognize what movie it is about :)

But automatic mode will be improved only in the v0.11 (so a bit later, after I have the manual MovieSheet mode implemented correctly).
Get ThumbGen!

February 07, 2010, 07:43:10 AM
Reply #8

lovewdtvlive

Hi..first time post for me.  I use "video thumbnails maker" by scorp (free edition) for our home movies.  Set quality to 30-40% to get under 70 kb size and set layout to 3x6 and tile width to 200x300.  It is great because it takes 36 pics each successive 10 mins into home video so you can locate people you were with in the video faster.  Great for sharing with friends or relatives as it is easier to find what is on the video by looking at the thumbnail.  JMHO.  Great forum here too! 

February 07, 2010, 07:45:40 AM
Reply #9

lovewdtvlive

oops sorry..flunked math...18 pics on the thumbnail. ;D

February 07, 2010, 08:00:13 AM
Reply #10

lovewdtvlive

A couple more things about home movies set up and then I will shutup...I use file2folder.bat located here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/03/auto-sort-movies-into-folders.html
to place my newly digitized home movies into a folder of the same name (saves a ton of time) then run the Video Thumbnail Creator (it looks in the main and subfolders folder and finds all the movie files).  I use Photoscape (free program) to make any thumbnails that help organize home videos (Main Category, Calendar Year thumbs, etc.)  It is easy to put in images (of whole family on thumb, etc.) or to put text on thumb.  Hopes this helps some folks struggling to find stuff.  It took me a long time to figure my way out (as googling home movies doesn't get you anywhere as hollywood movies are "home movies" to alot of people). 

February 08, 2010, 12:21:18 PM
Reply #11

morris_the_cat

Hey Thumbgen,
Thanks for looking at that - terrific!  I like migube's idea of how to do the widescreen screens to fit the thumbnails.  I don't mind blind shots.  For home movies that is fine.  As you say, if it is a really important movie, like baby's 1st steps or something, one can always edit it.
Cheers!   ;D

February 08, 2010, 12:31:47 PM
Reply #12

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
May I ask you to help me with something?

:)

Can you try to use ffmpeg and see how difficult is to use it and what results you can get?
I feel if it works properly I can embed it inside and use it in the automatic mode (I keep my movie player for the manual shots anyway)

Thx for help ;)
Get ThumbGen!

February 08, 2010, 11:04:19 PM
Reply #13

jason407

Ok, here is what I use to generate thumbs for my home movies, misc, music videos, tv show episodes, etc....

http://moviethumbnail.sourceforge.net/

I simply create a shortcut to the program with the following commands. (it took me a while to figure out the perfect settings)

Code: [Select]
-o .jpg -w 200 -t -r 2 -c 1 -i -b 0.50 -D 12 -W -a 1.33
Meaning, the target field of my shortcut's properties looks like this:
Code: [Select]
"C:\path to the file\mtn.exe" -o .jpg -w 200 -t -r 2 -c 1 -i -b 0.50 -D 12
Now, I can simply drag any folder containing video files on top of the shortcut, and the thumbs are generated for me.

They look like this:

Hope this helps.  ;D

February 09, 2010, 04:14:21 AM
Reply #14

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Great. That tool is also using ffmpeg, I think I will go same way (for the automatic mode). Let's see when I have some free time to properly implement it ;)
Get ThumbGen!