Author Topic: HD not recognized after being unplugged from WDTV  (Read 1672 times)

January 11, 2010, 06:25:20 AM
Read 1672 times

chris9008

I have a seagate 1.5 TB HD. I am using with a Mac. I have the second gen of the WDTV.

I plugged my HD into WDTV and it works fine. When I remove the HD and plus it into my mac to load new stuff onto it, it doesnt recognize it in finder. I can use the disk utility and it will show up there, but it does not show the partition I created. Just the drive itself. Also when selected, it does not always give me the option to repair the disk. I remove it and plug it back in, up to 5 times, and then it finally recognizes the drive. I can repair the disk, put new stuff on the drive and then plug it back into the WDTV and it plays fine. Until the next time I have to unplug.

I got this unit for Christmas, used it for a week before this started happening. Last weekend I completely reformated the hard drive and thought maybe the drive had become corrupted.

I read through most of the forums and did not find anyone asking this specific problem. Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know if you need any additional information.

January 15, 2010, 07:05:18 AM
Reply #1

Kevriano

Are you ejecting the drive from the WD first, not just unplugging it?
Also, what format do you have for the HD.
Lastly, how old is the Seagate, or is it the HD you got for Christmas?
A little knowledge can be dangerous - Warning! This user has little knowledge...

January 18, 2010, 06:20:54 PM
Reply #2

chris9008

I am hitting the eject button on the WD Media Player before unplugging and getting the same error. I got the Seagate hard drive in October. The HD is formatted for the mac, MAC OS extended. I received the Media Player for Christmas and the hard drive had run properly before.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

January 19, 2010, 03:31:25 AM
Reply #3

Kevriano

I would re-format the drive completely, and I don't partition mine, which may be why you have an issue, it's just one big partition basically, also Mac OS Extended (not journaled). If you have been constantly moving things on and off of the drive it could possibly have become fragmented, though it would be unusual, as Mac OS doesn't work that way really.
Also, try a different USB cable, if you haven't already, it could be that simple.
Come back to me if you still have no luck.
A little knowledge can be dangerous - Warning! This user has little knowledge...