Author Topic: Bug 1.3.01 (and all previous): In-movie Wake-up Delay with 2 drives  (Read 1113 times)

January 10, 2010, 01:55:44 PM
Read 1113 times

shvogue

Hi,

I have a WD TV (Gen 1) connected to two MyBook drives (a 1TB Home Ed. and a 2TB Mirror).  The problem I have is the frustrating wake-up delay (usually 3 seconds, but sometimes 5 or 6s) when moving from one video chapter file to another.

To explain, I have converted some of my (original) DVDs into MPEG or AVI formats, so these play as a single file with no problems.  However, most of my DVDs were originally put onto my first MyBook drive, and were played directly from my Philips TV via a USB connection.  The DVDs were ripped into separate chapters, and stored unchanged as VOB / IFO files.  The WD TV reads these as mpeg files, so there is no issue playing them.  Problem is that because there's a separate file for each chapter and WD TV pauses when moving from one chapter file to the next.  What makes the delay longer is that the WD TV 'wakes up' both of the MyBook drives before it starts playing the next chapter.  Sometimes this takes as long as 5 or 6 seconds, which is not that long but is really annoying when it happens all the way through a movie.

With over 400 DVDs, I obviously don't want to convert / merge the existing files or re-rip the discs.  Strangely, when I play music files (mp3s) from one of the MyBooks, I don't get the same delay problems.  Even though the same basic situation is happening - the WD TV plays each separate file, one after the other in the same (album) directory - but there is no delay when getting the next mp3 file, and it doesn't stop to wake up the other MyBook drive.                Any suggestions ?