Author Topic: Free DLNA SERVERs - Tested or Reports problems  (Read 41298 times)

February 09, 2010, 11:56:35 PM
Reply #15

dkjazz

One thing bothers me about WMS... Internet radio streams as aacplus 24kbps from Sky.FM doesn't work correctly (downbeat)  :'( . Even as transcoded, in all enclosed formats...

Everything else - excellent!

February 12, 2010, 03:32:27 AM
Reply #16

Sorna

Hi amunoz. Sorry for late reply.

To enable internet radio with twonky 4, I selected basic settings -> internet radio from the twonky media configuration page. In internet radio page we can select shoutcast and/or vtuner and select desired genres. Once the settings are saved and the server restarted the internet radio appear under music tree (after a few minutes). If you are not happy with the random selection of radio stations based on genres (as I am) you can place a radio playlist in any music folders. I used the format specified here (  http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4905   )   for the format of the radio playlist (m3u file) and it works well.

Cheers,
Sorna

February 25, 2010, 12:18:52 PM
Reply #17

jm

Vuze has a media server but doesn't seem to work with WDTVLive, not sure if due to Vuze or WDTV quirks. Free/opensource

Foobar2000 1.0 has a upnp plugin. You can add install the foo_upnp plugin for it to act as a media server, renderer and control point.  Freeware/no source but SDK

March 10, 2010, 04:47:53 AM
Reply #18

3dxr

• Global Moderator

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:28:17 AM by jayallan »

March 14, 2010, 05:36:18 PM
Reply #19

Whoheart

3dxr that doesn't really belong in this thread does it? That's not a DNLA server?
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 29, 2010, 09:07:03 PM
Reply #20

GHammer

Foobar2000 1.0 has a upnp plugin. You can add install the foo_upnp plugin for it to act as a media server, renderer and control point.  Freeware/no source but SDK

Anyone have tips on setting this for the WD TV Live?
It refused to just send the files to mine when I tried it out, then because of strange settings (mine) began crashing.

A fine idea if it worked well. I'm sure it is in the settings, just don't know what to set for the WD HD TV Live.

March 30, 2010, 01:50:43 AM
Reply #21

extremedigital

i am reposting this from my different thread

Following on from a different thread i have tried to build a database of DLNA compatible devices with the WDTV Live

Most of the info was gathered from here

http://www.dlna.org/products/

Please feel free to add to this list, i think it will get interesting as the list grows...

SOFTWARE:-

Windows Media Player 12   Windows    Digital Media Server, Renderer, Controller, Player       
WDTV Live can connect to and Play Media from any Library
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video to WDTV Live
Other Devices can send media to it.

Twonky Media Manager    Windows   Digital Media Server, Controller       
WDTV Live can connect to and Play Media from its Library
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video to WDTV Live

Twonkybeam          Windows/Mac   Digital Media Controller
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video from the internet to WDTV Live works direct from Browser
Now works with Firefox as well as IE.

Tversity          Windows   Digital Media Server, Controller
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video to WDTV Live from any Library
Pro Version can stream premium Internet content, from sites like Hulu (US only), BBC iPlayer (UK only), Sling and many more.

XBMC            Windows/Mac/Linux   Digital Media Server, Player

VLC            Windows/Mac/Linux   Digital Media Server, Player
PlayOn            Windows      Digital Media Server
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video from the internet to WDTV Live

Foobar200         Windows      Digital Media Server
Can Stream Music to WDTV Live

HARDWARE:-

IPOD TOUCH, IPHONE, IPAD             

PlugPlayer                  Digital Media Server, Renderer, Controller

ANDROID PHONES

ANDROMOTE                  Digital Media Server, Renderer, Controller

TWONKY ANDROID APP            Digital Media Server

LG PHONES
BL-40, GD880
Can Stream Pictures, Music & Video to WDTV Live from its Library

MOTOROLA PHONES
Devour A555,               Digital Media Server

NOKIA PHONES
A555, N79, N82, N85, N86, N95 8GB, N96, 5360 5730     Digital Media Server

E52, E55, E72                   Digital Media Server, Controller

SONY ERICSSON PHONES
OMINIA SCH-i910, LOURVE  B7610, SGH-i900, PRIMERA I8510, PILOT I8510, PILOT I710,
GT-S800H, GT-S8003, GT-S8000B/L, OMINIA GT-I8000, SCH-M710, SPH-M7150, SPH-M7200,
SCH-i920, GT-B7300, GT-B7620, GT-S8500, GT-S8500B/L, SHW-M120S     Digital Media Server

SAMSUNG PHONES
G705, W705, W715, CS8, C905, U10, J10, Satio U1, U8   Digital Media Server

CAMERAS

CANON CAMERAS                  Digital Media Server
DS585781, DS585784
Can Stream Pictures, Video to WDTV Live from its Library

SAMSUNG CAMERAS                  Digital Media Server
ST1000 CL65, ST1100 ST5500, CL80,

SONY CAMERAS
Cybershot G1, Cybershot G3                Digital Media Server

SET TOP BOXES (STB) AND DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDERS

PANASONIC
TZ-BDW900F TZ-BDW900J, TZ-BDW900M, TZ-BDW900P   Digital Media Server

SONY
X4 Video Server VGX-XV40S               Digital Media Server

TOSHIBA
RD-X6, RD-XD72, RD-A1, RD-XD92, RD-T1, RD-XD71, RD-XD81, RD-XD91, RD-E300,
RD-E160, RD-WD300    Digital Media Server

April 02, 2010, 05:26:49 AM
Reply #22

presby

I upgraded last night and it went smooth, except like other on the forum all of the cover art for my folders dissappered I have a folder for each movie. I named the folder the cover art .jpg and the movie all the exact same name and it worked perfectly, after the upgrade it shows a blank folder no more cover art in thumbnail mode.  I did  find a work around, by naming the .jpg inside of the folder, folder.jpg and the cover art appears again, this is a real pain though as I now have to rename all 600 of my movie cover art to folder.jpg.  Thanks alot WD. 

April 04, 2010, 09:22:24 AM
Reply #23

Browneye9000

It appears that the great fix to create a small mp4 called zzz.mp4 and then be able to click play on the thumbnail no longer works.  I think this was actually built into Thumbgen's app.  Now after the update, the only thumbnails that show are the ones with folder.jpg and once again I cannot click on those to make the movie play.  A great fix turned to junk thanks to WD.

April 11, 2010, 12:37:23 AM
Reply #24

blinkworth

I was having trouble with foobar 2000 upnp server, but there has been an update of the foobar plugin by the dev, and it works a charm with the wdtv live ... foobar_upnp_mediaserver 0.99.23.1

Fantastic ... foobar supports so many different audio formats, and you can stream them all ... I haven't checked out the controlpoint playto functionality in the foobar setup yet, but if that works, then you would have a controlpoint that includes a volume control ... nice  ...

BTW foobar is audio only ...

YAY.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:00:56 AM by blinkworth »

May 04, 2010, 06:35:08 AM
Reply #25

jmullan99

I posted some info on my use of PS3 Media Server here:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=5581.msg48920#msg48920

And it deserves a place in the list.  There are versions for Windows, Linux and OSX.  Is capable of providing web streams, transcoding, user configurable client CONF files.

The beauty for me has been that it is on a laptop, streaming from USB hard drive, fulfilling the requests of two clients at once (XBOX360, WD Live), was being used for other tasks, all over wireless and no stuttering on the clients.

Granted, I only use AVI files, not full size 4GB DVD images.  But the quality is acceptable to me.  Not grainy/pixilated.

I know some people spread their media across more than one computer and may not like running a server app in the background on each machine, but my personal take on this so far has been that a media server app is more reliable than plain old network folder shares.

Cheers,
John

June 02, 2010, 12:26:36 AM
Reply #26

babyfish123

July 27, 2010, 05:24:04 AM
Reply #27

faspina

Add to this list Serviio

it was mentioned in a early post that it did not work, I am running it on my Windows Home Server and Windows 7 machine and it work. I don't transcode as my file type work with the WDTV live.

I like it because it will see meta data from the internet based on the file names.

http://www.serviio.org/index.php

July 30, 2010, 09:25:00 AM
Reply #28

rgn2000

If you guys are using any dlna server with the WDTV Live you need to check out the EyeconTroller if you have an android or iphone. The new android app and the iphone is coming out soon.

Their website is http://www.eyecontec.com/

They told me they are going to change the website to reflect the changes. You no longer need the PC Download. The android app in the market works on its own. You need the .99cent version. If the free one is still there, do not get it. It is the old format in which you need the PC server and it does not work. The iphone app is coming soon.

I have been using it with Twonky and PS3 Media server and it works great. You can search your videos or look at your folders on your phone and push it to your player. If you have multiple players you can see what someone else is watching. You can even search for youtube videos and push them right to the WDTV.

August 01, 2010, 10:18:14 AM
Reply #29

Whoheart

If you guys are using any dlna server with the WDTV Live you need to check out the EyeconTroller if you have an android or iphone. The new android app and the iphone is coming out soon.

Their website is http://www.eyecontec.com/

They told me they are going to change the website to reflect the changes.

They should change it to explain what it does in one single paragraph, I'm not watching movies or any crap to find out something strange does.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.