Author Topic: new competitor - Syabas Popbox  (Read 12743 times)

January 07, 2010, 03:10:58 PM
Reply #30

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
there won't be never ever modified/hacked firmwares for the PopBox because it is a "closed" system including MS DRM for Netflix video-on-demand streaming  ::)

Not the case.  The PopBox will be more customizable because they allow 3rd party plug ins.  This will be a lot more like the iPhone with its Apps. 
They may have a restrictive approval process but I doubt it as they are already rumored to be making "adult" deals. 

I image it will be highly customizable!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

January 07, 2010, 04:35:26 PM
Reply #31

Zimbo

This is a cool website / forum on the Popbox Media Streamer. 

www.popboxforum.com

It has all the specs and a bunch of videos from CES  ;D

January 07, 2010, 08:57:16 PM
Reply #32

rorschach

Here's the latest from Giz: http://gizmodo.com/5440990/syabas-popbox-media-streamer-looks-great

Looks tasty... if WD doesn't push out some hefty firmware updates before this thing hits shelves my Live will be looking for a new job on craigslist!

[EDIT] After watching some demos I can imagine the ads getting very annoying. Hopefully there will be some way to disable them via homebrew hack or otherwise. [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:10:08 PM by rorschach »

January 07, 2010, 09:32:56 PM
Reply #33

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

After watching some demos I can imagine the ads getting very annoying. Hopefully there will be some way to disable them via homebrew hack or otherwise.

AFAIK They will be disableable on paid services.  So the plugins that provide free service may have ads.  I think this will all be worked out with user mods however.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

January 09, 2010, 09:09:25 PM
Reply #34

MrLargo

Wonder if the PopBox will load jpgs faster so I can scroll through my 3MB pics faster, or do a slide show?  That would be nice and get my attention.  Some of the other stuff just seems like fluff...

January 15, 2010, 10:43:17 AM
Reply #35

pic.micro23

I don't know if you knew this but this new POPBOX could be the same thing as their current C-200 as far as the firmware goes. The c-200 does not have PTY enabled in the kernel so SSH does not work (they won't do it since that's part of some contracts they have). This is a BIG drawback if you are planning to play/hacking it.

So it's possible that POPBOX won't support SSH and for some of us that's a requirement.

c 'ya

January 17, 2010, 07:58:46 AM
Reply #36

Armand

the wdtv live is at the beginning of its live-cycle so I expect WD to have some interest in attracting new customers.
Consumer electronics life cycles are now less than a year.It is more and more rare to see features added to firmware.
I promise you that for every one person working on existing WD unit firmware there are 100 working on the next WD product.