Author Topic: new competitor - Syabas Popbox  (Read 12765 times)

January 05, 2010, 02:20:28 PM
Reply #15

Dion

sure is alot of hate on WDTV Live in here.  ???

January 05, 2010, 02:29:03 PM
Reply #16

silvom

Hate ???    No, I think that it is only a wish, that WD realizes what we really want !!!

January 05, 2010, 02:30:10 PM
Reply #17

carnival

Well i think people got a little mad when western digital was slow with updates for the original wdtv. Then the live had a update out that bricked the unit.

That being said i like my live. But if there is a better product out for the same price or near the same price i have a tough time staying loyal.

i am glad there is competition. Either WD will better the product or i will have more options.

January 05, 2010, 02:44:04 PM
Reply #18

radio1

For me the killer is integrated Netflix and Hulu.

As a Netflix subscriber, there are so many TV shows I'd like to stream but can't or at least sub-optimally if I bought PlayOn.

January 05, 2010, 02:46:23 PM
Reply #19

carnival

WD will get netflix eventually i would imagine.

January 05, 2010, 03:00:55 PM
Reply #20

3dxr

• Global Moderator

No hates here. Only not satisfied users (including me)
CES 2009 is here and I am waitting what will show other vendors there.

New blobbox should be there based on same HW like WDTV live This device is fully opensourced with SDK which is opening more ways for developers and more fw modifications and also providing easy way for modders.

I still cannot undestand why is shoutcast audio streamming [IP:port] not part of WDTV live fw. This common and basic feature in many cheap asian players. Competitor Eminent has same Sigma Designs 8655 processor but have quite similiar GUI but! (H.264) and VC-1 including Blu-Ray ISO (9/25/50Gb) & DVD-Rom ISO files at full HD 1920x1080 resolutions.
( I mean free radio stations not payed service like Pandora or Live386.com what they providing for me ? if I want listen own net radio which they dont have in database ???? )

Pandora or Live365com are absolutly not usable services for me and many other people who are listenning own free favorite stations or need regional Netradio stations.

This is like itunes in non-jailbreaked iphone no mp3 tranfer to overpayed phone (in my location)
This is very similiar I have player but If i want listen  some music I have to register and use payed service ???? why..... [ I hate this...... pay for nothing] or use PC not my player.
WTF in year 2009/2010 ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:03:06 PM by 3dxr »

January 05, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
Reply #21

rodfeli

Very nice interface!!! and with BT and NZB clients embedded!!!
I would like (at least) this interface or similar in my WDTV...  :'(
c'mon WD!!! It seems not to hard to clean up the old and ugly interface for something like this...
WDTV LIVE | FW 1.02.21 | Lilibabe's Picto OSD Mod
WDTV1 | FW 1.03.01 | Lilibabe's v2.0 OSD Mod

January 05, 2010, 08:26:44 PM
Reply #22

Dion

Well i think people got a little mad when western digital was slow with updates for the original wdtv. Then the live had a update out that bricked the unit.

That being said i like my live. But if there is a better product out for the same price or near the same price i have a tough time staying loyal.

i am glad there is competition. Either WD will better the product or i will have more options.

They were pumping out a firmware every week listening to community feedback.  Not sure what you mean by slow.  Ive never been disappointed by the WDTV.  Its played over 300mkvs perfectly.. maybe one or 2 had issues.  (then got fixed with firmwares).  Ive had nothing but great success with WDTV1 and WDTV Live so far.

January 05, 2010, 10:25:33 PM
Reply #23

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
They were pumping out a firmware every week listening to community feedback.
Wrong on both accounts.

January 06, 2010, 12:07:41 AM
Reply #24

FooFighter

They were pumping out a firmware every week listening to community feedback
only regarding the custom firmware section, not the official one.

The popbox currently is meant for the US market, not the European/Asian

google-translation of the German heise article - sry  ;D
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fnewsticker%2Fmeldung%2FNeuer-HD-Zuspieler-von-Syabas-mit-verriegelter-Firmware-896503.html&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:11:51 AM by FooFighter »
Regards,

Foo

January 06, 2010, 10:11:34 PM
Reply #25

full

there won't be never ever modified/hacked firmwares for the popbox because it is a "closed" system including MS DRM for Netflix video-on-demand streaming  ::)

January 06, 2010, 11:58:52 PM
Reply #26

carnival

there won't be never ever modified/hacked firmwares for the popbox because it is a "closed" system including MS DRM for Netflix video-on-demand streaming  ::)
https://www.thedavidbox.com/c/devuser/home
i believe they are going the app route like iphone/android as far as i can tell

January 07, 2010, 12:22:01 AM
Reply #27

schnoid

there won't be never ever modified/hacked firmwares for the popbox because it is a "closed" system including MS DRM for Netflix video-on-demand streaming  ::)

i'm pretty easy to please, I don't care if I have modified/hacked firmware if it works the way I want it to. Yes, down the line I may want more features or whatever, but for now I'm perfectly happy with my WD TV Live with a nicer interface. If I could get search, a cleaner interface, dynamic IMDB info, and Hulu, I won't be complaining for a very long time. I understand that others have different wants/needs but thats all I'm shooting for right now. It seems as far as I can tell that Popbox has all those things except Hulu, which may come as an app addon. A remote with a qwerty keyboard for quick searching would be super cool too, but thats a hardware, thing, I'm not gonna expect that right away.

January 07, 2010, 01:46:48 AM
Reply #28

full

have you seen the boxee box from d-link? the remote control does has such a qwerty keyboard on the back side

January 07, 2010, 09:20:39 AM
Reply #29

schnoid

have you seen the boxee box from d-link? the remote control does has such a qwerty keyboard on the back side

wow!! I saw the boxee, but I hadn't seen the remote! That's really cool, I'm so glad to see all these companies moving towards qwerty keyboards!!! So far I saw Vizio coming out with one, and Samsung will have a touchscreen keyboard. Here's one more i can add to the list! If the boxee has an interface similar to the Popbox, I might go in that direction! Thanks for the info. :)