Author Topic: new competitor - Syabas Popbox  (Read 12757 times)

January 04, 2010, 05:51:28 AM
Read 12757 times

FooFighter

new competitor - Syabas Popbox
http://gizmodo.com/5439293/syabas-popbox-get-ready-for-the-new-media-streamer-champ

It will be interesting to see in how far this product will affect WD in adding new & !wanted! features to their nice little wdtv live media gadget - Competition is good for business :)
Regards,

Foo

January 04, 2010, 06:41:15 AM
Reply #1

bnz

Looks nice! And competition in the same price segment is good for the WD TV Live and potential firmware upgrades.

January 04, 2010, 06:43:16 AM
Reply #2

rodfeli

The interface seems to be really nice! Not the ugly interface in the WDTV Live (Lilibabe come back!). The WDTV live has all to be a great product but it is very limited. When I see this kind of products thats brings info from imdb i.e. and in the WDTV official firmware it is not implemented really think in sell my WDTV Live and bought one of those... WD answer the phone!
WDTV LIVE | FW 1.02.21 | Lilibabe's Picto OSD Mod
WDTV1 | FW 1.03.01 | Lilibabe's v2.0 OSD Mod

January 04, 2010, 06:52:48 AM
Reply #3

Clownzer

The interface seems to be really nice! Not the ugly interface in the WDTV Live (Lilibabe come back!). The WDTV live has all to be a great product but it is very limited. When I see this kind of products thats brings info from imdb i.e. and in the WDTV official firmware it is not implemented really think in sell my WDTV Live and bought one of those... WD answer the phone!

Agreed! I am in for one and the WDTV Live is either getting sold or going into the bedroom for the kids. Sad that I have to use a HackWare to even get my WDTV Live to work like I want it to. Thanks for that btw!

January 04, 2010, 08:39:37 AM
Reply #4

radio1

I was just about to post this here...

Man, if WDTV Live does not get Netflix-- I will totally buy one of these.

January 04, 2010, 10:34:54 AM
Reply #5

FooFighter

it really seems that the Syabas guys kept a close look to the wdc WD TV Live Ideas section  ;D
Regards,

Foo

January 04, 2010, 04:53:27 PM
Reply #6

schnoid

wow, I just came here to see if there was any talk of this, and sure enough there is.  :-P  Hate to say it, but add me to the list of people that will jump ship to Popbox if it works as smoothly as the WD but with a better interface. Most likely I'll lose 20 or 30 bucks when I sell my WD TV Live, but it'll be well worth it. Only thing I can see missing is that it doesn't have Hulu support. I'm kinda surprised that it supports netflix but not Hulu. First to get Hulu support will probably get my business. Huge thumbs up on the interface. Looks like there won't be any need for Tvixie anymore since it seems to pull data directly from IMDB. I'm definitely looking forward to that!

On side a note: Has anyone read anything about a search feature? I have over 1000 movies now and trying to scroll through them is a headache and a half.

January 04, 2010, 06:59:08 PM
Reply #7

ditchy1

I'm afraid I'll join in the mutiny against WD soon as well. The Popbox looks awesome and I will buy it as soon as I can. My WDTV live will be for sale at that time unless they make some changes soon.

Hope WD WAKES UP!!!!

January 04, 2010, 09:36:26 PM
Reply #8

hufaunder

That sounds great but the devil is in the detail. So does anybody know:

1) Is album art embedded into FLAC files supported and displayed?
2) Are artist/song/album/track information in FLAC files searchable (to find music of a certain artist, etc)
3) Are network shares supported with album art (not having the WD "feature" of showing folder.jpg and the movie iso files separately)?
4) Is there some better text entry for the search function (entry like on a cellular phone number without a full keyboard)?
5) Does it support selection of different languages, fast forward/backward, etc of movie iso files?

If this box can do all of the above I'll buy that box to replace my few weeks old WD.

January 04, 2010, 10:48:27 PM
Reply #9

FooFighter

I won't dump my WDTV Live so easily and early adopters of the popbox are likely to encounter firmware issues.
the wdtv live is at the beginning of its live-cycle so I expect WD to have some interest in attracting new customers.
not changing the UI/adding features would make this difficult in the future as both devices share the same market segment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:08:02 AM by FooFighter »
Regards,

Foo

January 05, 2010, 08:49:12 AM
Reply #10

chauncey

This looks VERY INTERESTING!  If it has full DVD ISO menu support like the PopCorn Hour then I am picking one up IMMEDIATELY!  Does anyone know?

January 05, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Reply #11

schnoid

Add the new boxee (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/boxee-box-officially-announced-under-200-flash-10-1-support/)to the list of streaming media units that will likely blow WD out of the water if they don't do something about it. Seems like the boxee has all the features of the WD and even flash support which seems like Hulu will run on. The options are multiplying like crazy and not a peep from WD!

January 05, 2010, 12:05:01 PM
Reply #12

carnival

I am in. Only reason i got wdtv live over popcorn hour is price. now you can get a popcorn hour for the same price as wdtvlive.

That interface looks 1000000000 times better than what wdtv is offering. Excited for this one! Alot of used wdtv lives will be floating around in a few months.

also here is the link
http://popbox.com/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:12:14 PM by carnival »

January 05, 2010, 12:42:12 PM
Reply #13

carnival

On side a note: Has anyone read anything about a search feature? I have over 1000 movies now and trying to scroll through them is a headache and a half.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac253/Bazrah/popbox-lg9.jpg

January 05, 2010, 01:46:18 PM
Reply #14

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I found something what can be clone or OEM  version same HW like WDTVlive I found this
player only yesterday.

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/netgear-eva2000-media-streamer-handles-hulu-sd-video.html

What I cannot promisse to WDTVlive is no netradio free stations /shoutcast mp3 netstations/
only youtube and same size buttons on REMOTE CONTROL PLAY/FF?REV/STOP button
to near of BACK this is really fault - NETGEAR has same size RC with more mental power of designer - NETGEAR is showing how to do thing better