Author Topic: Converting HD-DVD to MKV  (Read 11469 times)

April 21, 2009, 12:41:41 PM
Read 11469 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Does anyone have any experience with this?   I have about 70 HD-DVD disks and I want to transfer them to my media server.  I am going to make 8 GB MKVs at 1080p.  I tried to use MakeMKV but it failed on a dozen disks in a row so that is not an option.   I can rip the EVOs to my hard drive with Slysoft anyDVD HD no problem.  I just need to know the rest of the steps.  Thanks!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 21, 2009, 01:05:03 PM
Reply #1

Starstream

MakeMKV does not work on HD-DVD (the author added initial support but then abandoned it in favor of Blu/DVD).

There is an easy enough manual guide here on HD-DVD->MKV that worked for all of mine.

April 21, 2009, 01:24:39 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks Starstream! 

That looks good.   I am going to try it now on a test HD-DVD.  Will report back.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 21, 2009, 01:25:41 PM
Reply #3

Fishbowls

end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

April 21, 2009, 06:23:54 PM
Reply #4

sdaniels

I wont get into to much detail, but you'll need AnyDVD, tsMuxer, MKVtools, and MKVMerge. These are all the tools you'll needed... along with the appropriate codecs installed and lots and lots and lots of time. Oh did I mention it takes a really long time.

April 22, 2009, 08:32:11 AM
Reply #5

Starstream

I wont get into to much detail, but you'll need AnyDVD, tsMuxer, MKVtools, and MKVMerge. These are all the tools you'll needed... along with the appropriate codecs installed and lots and lots and lots of time. Oh did I mention it takes a really long time.

Well I'd say not really maybe an hour or under but that's a hell of a lot quicker then encoding the video into H.264/MKV. The guide I linked to auto rips the video to MKV and the audio to AC3 after that all you have to do is use MKVMerge to put them together into a single MKV, very little messing about needed.

The longest parts of the process are the segments were it rips the original video to MKV and muxing the final MKV other than that there is very little in the way the user has to do.

April 22, 2009, 11:13:56 AM
Reply #6

sdaniels

Well I'd say not really maybe an hour or under but that's a hell of a lot quicker then encoding the video into H.264/MKV. The guide I linked to auto rips the video to MKV and the audio to AC3 after that all you have to do is use MKVMerge to put them together into a single MKV, very little messing about needed.

The longest parts of the process are the segments were it rips the original video to MKV and muxing the final MKV other than that there is very little in the way the user has to do.

True, sorry. I re-encode to 720P h.264, even with 4 terra bytes you can fill it quickly with a straight mux. Average movie is about 25-30 gig removing audio and subs you don't need. I prefer 4.5-7.5 gig... for backup purposes.

April 22, 2009, 02:06:56 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
OK,

I have successfully made a 1080p Rip of my "The Game" HD DVD.  I also compressed it to 8.2 GB.  It looks amazing.  All told it took 10 hrs.

I used:

*  Slysoft AnyDVD-HD
    * eac3to + HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor [GUI to eac3to] (extract both into same folder)
    * meGUI

The HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor was the ticket as it pulled the streams and combined the two EVO files that made up the main feature. 

Once I had the files on my computer I imported them into meGUI and converted the video file to x264 at about 8000 bit rate and remuxed the ac3 into the final mkv container. 

April 23, 2009, 12:23:32 PM
Reply #8

Starstream

jayallan I thought you wanted to keep the original video if your encoding into H.264 there is no need to follow that guide, though the HD-DVD's tend to be not that large so personally I didn't bother encoding them to save space.

Ripbot264 supports HD-DVD's and will read them directly from the optical drive with AnyDVD HD running in the background, you can encode from there and its much easier to use than MeGUI (also the HD-DVD/Blu-ray Stream Extractor was merged into MeGUI apparently but I haven't used MeGUI in ages).

April 23, 2009, 01:23:53 PM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks Starstream,

I will try that.  I have been using meGUI for a while so I am used to it, but I am always up for trying another process.

I have an extra quad core dedicated to video editing, so I like to try alternate methods. 

April 24, 2009, 04:34:46 AM
Reply #10

liebowa

Would either of you mind documenting the steps of exactly what you did to get this process to work in either RipBot264 or MeGUI?  in my case, I'm looking to rip Blu-Ray to the WDTV.

Thanks so much.

April 24, 2009, 01:58:59 PM
Reply #11

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Would either of you mind documenting the steps of exactly what you did to get this process to work in either RipBot264 or MeGUI?  in my case, I'm looking to rip Blu-Ray to the WDTV.

Thanks so much.

liebowa,

Have a look here: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=37.0

April 27, 2009, 03:28:05 AM
Reply #12

gordo

If I just want to rip an HD-DVD to play back on the WDTV at original quality, what are the correct settings for AnyDVD? I've downloaded the evaluation copy and I am thinking that I may be able to get my limited number of HD-DVDs done before the evaluation period expires.

What I'm looking for is original quality and original sound if at all possible. I'm not too worried about file size.

April 27, 2009, 06:13:59 PM
Reply #13

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Gordo,

You can do this with AnyDVD and meGUI very easily and fairly quick. 

Rip the HD-DVD to your hard disk with AnyDVD.  Then open meGUI and under tools select HD Stream Extractor.

Find the directory that holds your EVO files.  Run the extractor and in the new window you will see different parts of the disk. 

Select the main feature.  Now select the audio and video streams that you want and any subtitles.  Then extract them.

Finally, use MKV Muxer under the tools menu to combine them into a playable full rez MKV file.

April 28, 2009, 06:31:40 AM
Reply #14

gordo

jayallan,

Thanks. I've already ripped the first one as an iso. Do I now just process that with MeGUI?

I may need to get some more storage for my PC so I can keep the original rip on my PC as well as the copy on my 1.5TB for the WDTV  ::)