Author Topic: WDLXTV LIVE 0.3.2 deluge/nzbget/cd-manager-related bug found  (Read 2500 times)

December 28, 2009, 04:41:45 AM
Read 2500 times

kbear

As other users, I've had trouble getting deluge to work. I un-commented the corresponding entries in the S00custom-options text file and rebooted (by removing from the power plug) the WDTV Live, but I could not get a deluge link to appear in the web interface. The same thing happened with nzbget.

Additionally, I discovered that enabling deluge somehow killed the functionality of the cd-manager. WDTV Live could no longer read data from an external USB DVD drive. Disabling deluge (from the S00custom-options text file) seemed to solve the problem.

I finally managed to get both deluge and cd-manager to work. I traced the problem back to my WDTV Live settings: I've had entered a custom IP in Settings -> Network Setting -> Network Setup. Once I selected "Automatic" instead of "Manual", everything worked immediately (Well, almost everything. I still can't eject disks from the DVD drive without cycling the power in both the drive and WDTV Live).

Since my custom IP settings were correct, there must be a bug somewhere that prevents some functions of the WDLXTV Live firmware to work when you are not getting your IP from a DHCP server. After you boot with automatic IP settings, you can change them to manual again. Just be certain that when you boot WDTV Live, it uses automatic IP settings instead of manual.

I thought I'd post this in a separate topic instead of the general WDLXTV Live thread, so that people who have trouble getting deluge to work can find this post easily and won't have to go through the hours of frustrating trial and error and slogging through dozens of forum pages that I did.  :P

P.S. As a newbie, at first I had trouble understanding that when you read somewhere in the forums that you have to reboot WDTV Live, it means that you have pull the plug out of the device, not just put it to sleep mode from the remote. Everyone takes it as granted, but new users will probably be confused by this. So I'd thought I mention it here, in case it's of use to some other newbie.  ;)

December 28, 2009, 05:00:06 AM
Reply #1

migube

Nice information kbear !

to reboot the box, I issue a reboot -f from telnet/ssh, it's quicker :)

Can you check, when you are using the dhcp ip compare with the fixed ip, if you have the same DNS settings?
Also , can you check when using fixed ip, if you have some processes still runing with ping (ps | grep ping)
ping -q -c 1 DNS_server

=> See my posts about net.mounts not working, it might be related (I''m not using deluge so cant' comment :)

br
migube
-----
WdTvLive - LG BD390 - Philips 47PFL8404h - Logitech  Z5400 - DM7000 - Synology 107+
If you developed some application or know about some new WDTVLive app.bin or binary files, please update the Wiki on http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Appz

December 29, 2009, 06:08:07 AM
Reply #2

kbear

Can you check, when you are using the dhcp ip compare with the fixed ip, if you have the same DNS settings?
Also , can you check when using fixed ip, if you have some processes still runing with ping (ps | grep ping)
ping -q -c 1 DNS_server

Sorry, I'm not a Linux Geek Guru. :) Although I have some minimal experience with programming, UNIX CLI is not my cup of tea. 

I noticed that there are no detailed step-by-step instructions anywhere about how to connect to the WDTV Live with telnet/ssh from Windows or Mac OS X. Maybe you should write some instructions in a new post, so that newbies like me who are not UNIX gurus can understand.

December 29, 2009, 03:05:04 PM
Reply #3

dr99

Nice information kbear !

to reboot the box, I issue a reboot -f from telnet/ssh, it's quicker :)

ping -q -c 1 DNS_server

=> See my posts about net.mounts not working, it might be related (I''m not using deluge so cant' comment :)

br
migube

Thanks for the tip about the reboot.  Just to make sure the command is "reboot -f"

December 31, 2009, 02:13:05 PM
Reply #4

Sangano81

Hi guys, I'd like to make a contribution to this post:

I had the same issue: deluge would not start. Like b-rad said, I saw that the deluge start up script was not able to start, you can check running the "ps" command, this would constantly show:

1237 root      3648 S    /bin/sh /tmp/init.d/S96deluge start

After reading this post, I noticed a script would ping my DNS server every now and then. I ping'ed my primary DNS server (the one my ISP provides me with) and I noticed that it is not configured to reply the ping command.

This is how I solved the issue:
The script that is constantly pinging is just looking for an ip that will reply. So I edited the /etc/resolv.conf and added a new entry to the file with the ip from my linksys router, in my case it's 192.168.1.1 (it's just a standard wifi home use router).  When the script ping'ed my router's ip it answered back properly, and that was enough to get everythin to run (you can check with "ps" and you will see that the deluge start up script has stopped running.

Just to make it clearer, here is my example:

- this is how my /etc/resolv.conf file was:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 200.115.192.29
nameserver 200.115.192.30
nameserver 200.115.192.28
#

- this is how my /etc/resolv.conf file looks after editing:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 200.115.192.29
nameserver 200.115.192.30
nameserver 200.115.192.28
#

Now I can see the deluge link in the wdtv´s web page (which I did not see before). I have also started using deluge and it works fine.

I hope this helps others, like this post helped me!

Since this is my first post:
THANK YOU B-RAD FOR YOUR WORK, and thanks also to the the folks that contribute to the forum.

Greetings all from Buenos Aires, Argentina!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Enjoy your wd tv live!!! =D

Sangano81

February 09, 2010, 01:51:15 PM
Reply #5

naryn

I have a slightly different problem.

Firmware installed.
deluge uncommented in options file.
Link for deluge has appeared on the homepage but when clicked it just says page not found. The mouseover on the link says /deluge but when it times out the link says http://192.168.1.56:8112 <-- port

ran PS and no entry for 1237.

Any suggestions why it is not working please?

n

February 09, 2010, 11:45:04 PM
Reply #6

BetaTesting

Why are you expecting a ps entry for 1237? Those process ids can and do differ on each persons box and will not be the same on the same box between reboots.

It might help you to learn something about process ids.

February 12, 2010, 12:36:45 PM
Reply #7

naryn

I was referring to the above post:

1237 root      3648 S    /bin/sh /tmp/init.d/S96deluge start

Whatever, deluge is not running is the point but thanks for the help you were most constructive.