Author Topic: WDTV Live cannot play audio for DTS files  (Read 31071 times)

January 02, 2010, 12:47:27 AM
Reply #15

FuGGer

maybe you should paste what MediaInfo detects about the file that MKV2VOB outputs...

or you could upload a small sample file that has gone thru MKV2VOB conversion and i could test it on my wdtvl to see if it plays...if it does play then maybe your unit is broke...

January 02, 2010, 07:13:47 AM
Reply #16

Twilight_Hitman

maybe you should paste what MediaInfo detects about the file that MKV2VOB outputs...

or you could upload a small sample file that has gone thru MKV2VOB conversion and i could test it on my wdtvl to see if it plays...if it does play then maybe your unit is broke...

General
ID                               : 1
Complete name                    : F:\HD Movies\Knowing.mpg
Format                           : MPEG-TS
File size                        : 5.79 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 1mn
Overall bit rate                 : 6 822 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID                               : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 12 frames
Bit rate                         : 4 812 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 4 854 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.35:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.288
Stream size                      : 4.08 GiB (71%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 68 r1179M 96e2229
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=12 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=64 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=7 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=4854 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.9

Audio
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Format settings, Sign            : Signed
Muxing mode                      : Blu-ray
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1.30 GiB (23%)

January 02, 2010, 07:32:11 AM
Reply #17

Twilight_Hitman

What program should I use if I just wanted to cut a sample of one of my movies to put online?

I guess another way to test (if someone wouldn't mind) is to have someone download MKV2VOB and run one of their MKV files through it (don't worry it doesn't replace the movie, only makes another version as MPEG) and test the MPEG file through WDTV Live.
I know that might be asking a lot, but really it only takes about 5 minutes to convert a movie through MKV2VOB.

Thanks

January 02, 2010, 09:52:16 PM
Reply #18

SiegeX

Audio
ID                               : 4352 (0x1100)
Format                           : PCM
Format settings, Endianness      : Big
Format settings, Sign            : Signed
Muxing mode                      : Blu-ray
Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 1.30 GiB (23%)

That audio data doesn't look right at all.  You're telling us that this audio track should be 5.1 DTS but the header info is saying it is 2 channel PCM.  Here is what a DTS audio track should look like

Code: [Select]
Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 1.28 GiB (45%)

Are you sure MKV2VOB doesn't try to reencode anything, especially the audio track? Also, what was the reason for needing this program again since WDTVl can play MKV and M2TS just fine (with DTS).

January 02, 2010, 10:03:27 PM
Reply #19

FuGGer

ok i got the latest version of mkv2vob (v2.4.7), and i played around for a bit.

my source file: mkv, 1080p h264 video, 5.1 dts audio...
wdtvlive setup: hdmi to tv, audio output set to stereo

under configuration tab in mkv2vob,

#1) check always transcode dts.

#2) check use pcm instead of ac3

if only #1 is checked, resulting file will contain 6ch ac3 - wdtvl detects ac3 and plays it ok

if #1 and #2 are checked, resulting file will contain 6ch pcm - wdtvl detects pcm and plays it ok

if #1 is UN-checked, all i hear is static from the resulting file with 2ch pcm ;)

btw if you use an optical audio cable to a receiver, i am not sure if a file with 6ch pcm will play properly. afaik, pcm is always stereo.

January 02, 2010, 10:13:14 PM
Reply #20

FuGGer

Quote from: SiegeX
That audio data doesn't look right at all.  You're telling us that this audio track should be 5.1 DTS but the header info is saying it is 2 channel PCM.

youre right siegex, the info shows the audio data to be 2ch pcm and not dts.

i think he wants a file that plays on ps3 as well as wdtvl...maybe thats why he is converting the mkv...

January 03, 2010, 12:19:27 AM
Reply #21

SiegeX

if #1 is UN-checked, all i hear is static from the resulting file with 2ch pcm ;)

I assume the above means that #2 is checked?  If so then it appears MKV2VOB assumes the audio track is not a DTS track and attempts to downmix it to 2-channel PCM.  Since in this case it *is* a DTS track, the downmix produces garbage.  As for what type of audio MKV2VOB assumes the track to be with #1 unchecked and #2 checked, well your guess is as good as mine.

If the OP does not have a receiver and has set his WDTVL to "stereo" then I suggest you Uncheck both #1 and #2 so that the resulting output file from MKV2VOB (m2ts?) will contain the original DTS stream.  There is no point to transcoding the DTS to 6-channel PCM or 5.1 AC3 when the WDTVL can downmix all three to 2-channel PCM; not to mention the time savings.

January 03, 2010, 07:15:39 PM
Reply #22

Twilight_Hitman

I assume the above means that #2 is checked?  If so then it appears MKV2VOB assumes the audio track is not a DTS track and attempts to downmix it to 2-channel PCM.  Since in this case it *is* a DTS track, the downmix produces garbage.  As for what type of audio MKV2VOB assumes the track to be with #1 unchecked and #2 checked, well your guess is as good as mine.

If the OP does not have a receiver and has set his WDTVL to "stereo" then I suggest you Uncheck both #1 and #2 so that the resulting output file from MKV2VOB (m2ts?) will contain the original DTS stream.  There is no point to transcoding the DTS to 6-channel PCM or 5.1 AC3 when the WDTVL can downmix all three to 2-channel PCM; not to mention the time savings.

I am leaving both options unchecked when I convert the movies through MKV2VOB....the only option I have enabled is Automatic update. The reason why I'm converting these movies are because the PS3 cannot play MKV files natively. I received the WDTV Live a while afterwards...so I put it in my bedroom. The results are a lot of my movies that are supposedly DTS cannot play.

Thank-you FuGGer for trying out a file on your system...at least now I know the problem lies with my files, rather than my WDTV Live box.

January 03, 2010, 07:30:45 PM
Reply #23

FuGGer

"...I am leaving both options unchecked when I convert the movies through MKV2VOB..."

there lies the source of your woes ;)

if i were you...id
check always convert dts and leave use pcm instead of ac3 blank.
you ll end up with a file containing ac3 audio

im pretty sure ps3 plays ac3 (i dont own one so im not 100% sure) so you should be all good...

January 04, 2010, 01:31:33 AM
Reply #24

SiegeX

So you're telling me that no matter what you do, MKV2VOB will *always* try to transcode the audio stream to some other format to either PCM or AC3?  If so then I would look for another tool because there is no reason why you should have to transcode the DTS, the fact that MK2VOB is transcoding it at all is the source of your problem.

January 04, 2010, 07:00:22 AM
Reply #25

Twilight_Hitman

"...I am leaving both options unchecked when I convert the movies through MKV2VOB..."

there lies the source of your woes ;)

if i were you...id
check always convert dts and leave use pcm instead of ac3 blank.
you ll end up with a file containing ac3 audio

im pretty sure ps3 plays ac3 (i dont own one so im not 100% sure) so you should be all good...

See I never needed to though. When these files are played on the PS3, my receiver displays DTS audio. Therefore I never needed to convert the DTS files....I didn't think it was a problem. That's why when I got the WDTV Live I thought it would play these files with no problems. Either way, for any movies from here on out I'll make sure to convert to AC3. If only the PS3 would support MKV files natively, I wouldn't have to convert at all.

Thanks for your help

January 05, 2010, 07:12:09 AM
Reply #26

crazyravr

I have a similar yet a bit different problem.
With original firmware I only had rear surrounds playing audio in DTS mode.
With new .11 firmware I am able to play DTS audio but after a while it gets distorted and cuts out... again rear channels play just fine.
When I switch audio output to 2ch in WDTV Live settings it plays 2ch audio fine.... but thats not a way to watch HD video at all.

Any one managed to figure this out???

January 05, 2010, 12:15:10 PM
Reply #27

SiegeX

@ Twilight_Hitman

Have you tried to see if tsremux can open up an .mkv file?  If so then that would probably be the easiest way to do this.  Assuming tsremux supports .mkv as an input source, it should wrap a new .m2ts container around the video and DTS audio track without transcoding anything.

If tsremux does not support .mkv as an input source, then just go grab yourself MKVExtractGUI and demux the video and audio track from the .mkv and then open those raw files in tsremux to create your .m2ts file.  Both methods do not transcode anything.

January 13, 2010, 11:22:09 PM
Reply #28

faceoff

Hi,

I have a pretty old 5.1 home theater system, Panasonic SC-HT900, purchased 5-6 years ago. I also have a WD TV 1, however because of DTS problem, I was considering to purchase a WD TV Live.

Now I can get AC3 sounds as 5.1 with WD TV 1 and Panasonic, connecting them with an optical cable. No sound with DTS movies. I convert DTS to AC3 to be able to go.

As far as I understand, with WD TV Live, DTS can be downmixed to stereo and 2.0 sounds can be taken from TV. The question is, will I be able to get DTS sounds as 5.1, when I connect WD TV Live and my Panasonic with an optical cable?

Manual of the Panasonic home theater system is at:

service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SCHT900.PDF

February 07, 2010, 03:32:07 PM
Reply #29

brantdk

Im new to this forum and this is my first post but I thought that Ill drop a little solution to this problem about mkv2vob on a wd tv live. I just pick up my WD tv live and already have a PS3. I wanted it all to work from one localtion...my nas (synology). The problem is that the PS3 is a little picky on the formats it plays. I have tried to convert with all kinda of setting in mkv2vob with out it really working. Well I found a solution that is so simple that your laugh you @ss off.

here it is. you run mkv2vob like you normally do. Set a check for "always decode DTC"....run your mkv through the program...and when your done, rename the extension from .mp4 to mpg. Now the film will can be watched on both the PS3 and the WD TV live...

It works for me. When the film is playing on the WD TV Live, it says AC3 sound...

good luck