Author Topic: WDTV Live cannot play audio for DTS files  (Read 31070 times)

December 26, 2009, 09:17:03 PM
Read 31070 times

Twilight_Hitman

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody was experiencing the same issue I'm having. I purchased the WDTV Live because of 2 features it had over the WDTV1...those features are networking and DTS decoding.
I guess I never really noticed it until tonight, but all the movies (HD MKV files) that I have that have DTS audio simply doesn't play the audio. It just sounds like a constant humming. At first I thought it was just one bad file...but then I tried another DTS file, and then another and so on....all with the same result.
I thought the WDTV Live was supposed to decode DTS and send it out stereo via HDMI? That's all I have setup because it's in my bedroom, I don't have a stereo receiver.
Can someone please help me with this? I've tried alternating between stereo and digital within the setup. My Dolby Digital movies play fine. These DTS audio movies also play fine on my PS3...so clearly the problem lies with the WDTV Live.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm running firmware version Release 1.01.11 (11/16/09).

If this box simply can't play my DTS movies, I may take it back and look for something else. It appears I have a lot of movies with DTS audio.
Thanks

December 27, 2009, 10:36:21 AM
Reply #1

discopig

AFAIK the WD TV Live cannot decode DTS, but it does have support to passthrough the DTS through either optical or HDMI. So you need a receiver (or TV) capable of decoding DTS to get the audio to actually play. To get those files to play on a system incapable of DTS decoding you would need to remux a stereo audio stream (I think Handbrake will do it).

Sorry, but that probably isn't the answer you were hoping for.

Adam

December 27, 2009, 01:15:58 PM
Reply #2

cgmark

The WDTV does not support down mixing of DTS to 2 channels .
The feature is listed as unavailable on the sigma chipset used in the WDTV and lots of other boxes.
   Can I do audio upsampling or downsampling?
Yes, you can. Please see the upsampling and downsampling limitation below.
    *  LPCM, PCM, MPEG, AAC and AC-3 are supported.
    * DTS, WMA and WMA Pro are not supported.
    * 44.1 KHz ↔ 48KHz sampling conversion is NOT available.

December 27, 2009, 01:30:22 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Twilight,

It is very easy to convert the DTS tracks to AC3.  It only takes a few minutes per movie.  If you don't have a DTS receiver then I recommend you do that. 

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 27, 2009, 05:25:02 PM
Reply #4

perfectdark

You dont have toremux the audio file. If your just outputting your wdtv live via hdmi to your tv (there is no surround sound) so go to your audio/video options and change the setting "digital" to "stereo" this will output the DTS as stereo thru the hdmi cable to your TV

December 31, 2009, 09:06:23 AM
Reply #5

Twilight_Hitman

See that's what I'm doing, I'm just running an HDMI cable from the WDTV Live box to my TV. According to the manual, it's supposed to downmix the DTS to 2.0 channels and play from my TV (I've changed the settings over to stereo). This was supposed to be a huge selling feature over the first WDTV. If I need to pass it through to a stereo that Decodes DTS, how is the WDTV Live any different than the WDTV (besides networking). Why splash the DTS logo on the WDTV Live box if it doesn't downmix?

Could it be the files I'm trying to play? They're simply MKV files that I've run through MKV2VOB so that they could also play on my PS3. So essentially these files are now MPEG. 
There is an option to change the DTS to Dolby (PCM to AC3), however most of the original MKV's I've deleted (to save space) so I can't re-run these already converted MPEG's through MKV2VOB.

December 31, 2009, 12:03:16 PM
Reply #6

gzerot

Well that sounds stupid, or silly, or whatever.   I have some True DTS and True HD and DTS files in MKV and ISO and also arnt being decoded by my Denon 3808, and it supports all of the formats except THX.      I pass through everything right now on HDMI, and I was goign to try Fiber, but My fiber cable, well the end fell off.

I was wondering why my Batman w/ true-hd sound sounded like junk.  just didnt want to load up the blueray player.

Theirs a reason why i have this and a NAS.    I dont want to use my Blueray player. I would rather make everything digital.

G
WD TV Live - Newest update
Quad Core Desktop
Core 2 Laptop
Denon - 3808 Reciever
Sony 40" LCD
Direct Tv HD Reciever
Dlink DIR-655
Dlink DAP-1522
Dlink DNS-323 - Online 3/6

December 31, 2009, 02:31:30 PM
Reply #7

gadget

Twilight,

It is very easy to convert the DTS tracks to AC3.  It only takes a few minutes per movie.  If you don't have a DTS receiver then I recommend you do that. 

I've run into the same problem. Which program do you use?

December 31, 2009, 04:19:07 PM
Reply #8

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Twilight,

Easiest way is the Popcorn Hour Converter

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20887

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 31, 2009, 08:42:51 PM
Reply #9

Twilight_Hitman

Twilight,

So gadget, you've run into the exact same issue? You're running an HDMI cable from your WDTV Live to your TV and your audio hums as soon as you start your video? Are these HD MKV videos? This is also happening with my in-laws...they can't get any DTS (PCM) audio through their television. I wouldn't think it would be the make of the TV's...but both are Samsung.
I've emailed Western Digital...I'm curious to see what they say. According to the manual, it should be downmixing the audio to 2.0 (stereo) within the box and sending it out via HDMI. Clearly this isn't the case.

January 01, 2010, 12:01:27 AM
Reply #10

deviltaz

I've had no problems with DTS downmixing to stereo through HDMI.  I've played 1080p mkv files with DTS audio just fine.  I've never experienced any humming.

I'm also on firmware 1.01.11.

January 01, 2010, 02:52:19 AM
Reply #11

FuGGer

same her deviltaz...

i am on f/w .10

the only connection from wdtv live is to my tv via hdmi
audio is set to stereo in wdtv live...

no problems playing this 720p x264 6 channel DTS mkv file.
it is a 22 sec clip of the movie 3 10 To Yuma...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2DD9FHT7

January 01, 2010, 01:40:22 PM
Reply #12

Twilight_Hitman

Okay, so here's what I've discovered by tinkering around with different configurations/settings. Sorry for the long post.

I'll use the example of a movie I have that I converted through MKV2VOB. The movie is 'Knowing'. Through MKV2VOB I simply converted the MKV file to MPEG so that I could play it on my PS3. I did not alter the audio at all...it was still DTS.

On my WDTV Live when I try to play the file through HDMI to the TV on the screen it states Audio Channel PCM and then it just hums. This was the original problem I was having and why I inquired on this forum.

- Next step, I tried the same setup on a different TV. Same result.

- Next step, I tried HDMI out to the TV & Optical Cable (TOSLINK) out to a stereo receiver that can handle DTS. I also changed the settings within the WDTV Live to Digital for audio. This still didn't work. I just had humming now coming through 5.1 speakers.

- Next step, I tried hooking my WDTV Live up to my HDMI Onkyo receiver that connects to my TV. My Onkyo can definitely handle DTS decoding. I kept the audio settings at digital within the WDTV Live. Guess what....same result. Humming coming out of all my speakers.

So now I'm starting to think I've got a defective box that simply can't handle DTS at all.

So I decided to try to play a DTS MKV (hadn't gone through MKV2VOB) file that I had with my original setup (HDMI out to TV with stereo audio). On the screen appeared Audio channel DTS....it played the sound with no problems.

So for some reason, whenever the screen displays PCM, I get humming; but if it displays DTS it will play just fine.

Now, here's what's interesting. My parents have the first WDTV (WDTV1). They have HDMI out to their TV, and TOSLINK out to their stereo. They can play this Knowing (MPEG) file with absolutely no problems. In fact, they can play any of these MPEG DTS files that I'm having problems with.

How come the WDTV1 can handle these files, but the newer more advanced WDTV Live can't?

January 01, 2010, 01:49:06 PM
Reply #13

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
It sounds like you have a defective unit Twilight.  I would test another LIVE to get a definitive answer.  My LIVE plays DTS just fine in 5.1!

January 01, 2010, 07:47:22 PM
Reply #14

Twilight_Hitman

When you play your movies does it show the audio as DTS or PCM?