Author Topic: BUG v1.01.11 - Must power cycle to play video  (Read 25227 times)

December 25, 2009, 12:21:39 PM
Read 25227 times

Teddy

WD Live TV w/ attached USB (WD MyBook).
I play a video, the formats that I've tried are .avi and .mkv, and it plays just fine. When it is finished I navigate to another video, or even the same one to replay and I just get the spinning cursor.
I turn the power off and select the video that just played and again I get the spinning cursor.
I unplug the power and plug it back in and then I can play 1 video before I have to power cycle.
I've tried resetting to factory defaults from the menu options and I've tried pressing the reset button on the side next to the USB plug.

One other interesting point is that at one point I was able to play two or more videos in a playlist, but I pressing the stop button did nothing - the video continued to play. Turning off the device from the remote turned off the lights on the WD TV Live, but the video continued to play. I had to unplug the device to stop it. Now I have to cycle power to play another video.

Has anybody else seen this, is there a "magic" option that I haven't found?

Thanks,
-Teddy

December 29, 2009, 10:27:31 AM
Reply #1

voided

January 01, 2010, 06:59:14 PM
Reply #2

tpelle

I too have a similar problem.  I can view multiple video files, navigate around and watch different files... but eventually, it stops playing and I have to unplug the power to get it working again.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but I think it stops working after I add additional files to the HD.  I have a WD Passport (FAT32) drive connected via USB and I transfer files to the drive over the network from a Mac running 10.6

January 03, 2010, 11:29:16 AM
Reply #3

tpelle

Last night I experience problems as described by the original poster.

I was playing a > 2 GB mkv (h.264, 1280x720, 6-channel dts audio) file and weird things happened.  Towards the end of the movie, I tried to pause, then stop... nothing worked.  I could hit the 'back' button, but the audio kept playing even when the menu came up.  It refused to stop.  The only thing I could do was unplug the power.  I had similar issues with 2 other files.  When the movie stopped, no other media would play until I cycled the power.

January 03, 2010, 03:09:45 PM
Reply #4

ryebread

My WD TV Live is doing something similar too.  Sometimes it'll stop playing certain types of files, however, other types will play back.  I too need to unplug it to get it to work correctly again.  I wasn't sure if it was a firmware issue or a defective unit.

January 03, 2010, 03:13:22 PM
Reply #5

MonaCK

Put me in this same camp - anyone found that it was a defective unit and that was the solution? This is going to get very old, very fast, if I have to do a hard reboot every time I want to watch something else on my unit...

January 03, 2010, 08:52:35 PM
Reply #6

srkampf

same genre of problem.

I bought the WDTV Live about a week ago and had no troubles with it. However, i started watching a movie last night but did not finish it. Opened the movie back up today to watch the rest and had to fast forward till the time i was at (1:34:00) since there is no skip, it took a while to get there. At approximately (1:15:00) the box froze with the 16x still up there. The movie froze but i could still do options. when going back and going back into it. i as well recieved the pinwheel. turning off the hard drive as well as the WDTV will not make it work though... i need to reset to factory settings to get it playing again. once trying again, the same thing happened at a different time (1:23:00)

WDTV LIVE / Fantom Drive GF2000EU (2TB) via usb

January 04, 2010, 08:05:37 PM
Reply #7

rjmacuser

I am also having the same issues. It seems that I can play several files from my main directory on computer's drive, but when trying connected drive and the shared directory the WDTV box hangs and I have to unplug and reboot. I am using a  firewire 800 drive and was thinking it may be that, but this thread seems to have all the same occurrences. Any advice?
Also I am networking via a mac running snow leopard, but my shares show up fine.

January 12, 2010, 12:02:07 PM
Reply #8

carlton150

I'm having exactly the same problem. Just updated to v1.0.17 and the bug is still there.

Seems to be a lot better than before and took switching between quite a few videos for the freeze to occur but then as already posted, have to do a power cycle or a reset factory settings. V Annoying!!!!

January 21, 2010, 07:54:40 AM
Reply #9

gondor

Another unhappy user here. 

After power reset WDTV live is operational about 30 minutes. After that period I get "Unable to play..." of spinning wheel on any movie (or picture) I try. The bug is not related to HDD as movies (and pictures) can not be play from USB stick FAT32, HDD with ext2, network shares on LAN or even services like YouTube.

I do linux programing for living, and my best gues here is that one of the deamon programs running on wdtv gets stucked when reading/writing or waiting for data on a pipe. I had similar problems on one of my projects which used 'stream pipes' for inter process communication. The bug resolved itself when I switched to UDP. Hope that helps.

Tom

January 22, 2010, 09:44:43 AM
Reply #10

gondor

OK, I have found the way restore WDTV to operational state once "Unable to play" appears.

a) Login to WDTV using telnet or ssh (I am using custom firmware)

b) Issue this commands at prompt (wait a second or two before next command)

killall DMARender

killall PICRender

DMARender and PICRender processes will be automatically restarted after 3 seconds and you will be able to play a movie.

I think this will also help with "spinning wheel" problem.

Tom 

January 22, 2010, 11:39:39 AM
Reply #11

Teddy

Note: I received a new unit and in 1 week the same problem pops up again.
I will try to kill the daemons - however I would like to think that power cycle would take care of that.

January 22, 2010, 01:41:10 PM
Reply #12

gondor

@Teddy: If you can confirm that killing those two daemons really resolves the issue - than there a number of options to perform that operation during linux boot procedure (just a few commands in /tmp/init.d/S99post-init).

Tom

January 23, 2010, 02:53:18 AM
Reply #13

necrogeddon

Same thing here guys. I own it since...yesterday and I'm already into trouble. All my network settings are as they should be. I see my pc and enter. When I try to open an HDD to stream a movie or a file, the spinning curson just stuck there and do nothing. In a minute or so it says, no files in the folder. Very few times it displayed my content but after when I try to stream, the cursor just spins.

January 24, 2010, 12:38:31 PM
Reply #14

Teddy

I was unable to telnet with standard firmware. I did get an RMA so I'm sending this one in and hopefully get a good replacement. If that one goes bad, which I suspect it will, then I'll try the custom firmware and killing of processes.

Which custom firmware do you recommend?