Author Topic: BUG v1.01.11 - Must power cycle to play video  (Read 25186 times)

August 22, 2010, 04:38:10 AM
Reply #75

ShawnMeds23

I'm having the same problem.  I upgraded to the beta firmware but that didn't help.  I did restore the factory defaults after the upgrade and that has seemed to help for now.  What is causing the problem for me is a specific .mkv file.  I watched this file once fine, but when ever I try to watch it again the screen just goes black. I can hit the back button and select another movie but i get the "circle of death" that never ends.  I can't even access pandora or youtube.  I then re-store the unit to the factory defaults and it gets going again.  Stange how one .mkv file can render the box useless.

Shawn

August 26, 2010, 01:33:19 AM
Reply #76

southsloper

Yes, same problem after I went to 1.02.21, I could play most of 1 particular AVI file then it would hang part way through and then never play that nor any other videos again after a factory reset, although it could still hang part way through.

Frustrated, I downgraded to 1.02.24 and no problems playing videos again.

August 26, 2010, 04:22:20 PM
Reply #77

snarkle

@shawnmed23 & @southsloper Perhaps it would be a good idea to use a program like MediaInfo to read the details of the file and work out what the problem is. You could post a copy of the results on the forum to help WD determine the cause of the fault with playing those files. A comparison between files that work and the file that causes it to break would likely reveal the cause!

You can get MediaInfo from here.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

August 27, 2010, 01:00:15 PM
Reply #78

toocold

I have done some further testing and this only seems to be affecting media stored on a ntfs partition. Media on a FAT32 partition work fine

September 02, 2010, 01:42:34 PM
Reply #79

gregvolt

does that include a networked ntfs file system?

September 03, 2010, 03:06:49 AM
Reply #80

toocold

Sorry, I was wrong. I have , however, solved the problem I was getting.  It was down to my network settings.  My WDTV-Live had a different subnet mask to my media server.  This seemed to affect the playing of media from a direct usb connection or streamed from my network (the media would play but wouldn't stop ).  Since changing the subnet mask on my WDTV I no longer experience this issue.  Hope this helps someone

September 21, 2010, 09:26:17 AM
Reply #81

Damson

Hi,

I also had this problem, but somehow I've solved it.

I found one movie that couldn't play even after turning off and  turning on again and again my WDTV, so I've deleted it.
Then, I disabled MEDIA LIBRARY under system settings.

For 15 days I had no more of blue spining wheel!

I hope it will help some of you...