Author Topic: Converting Blu-rays to MKV  (Read 28630 times)

April 27, 2009, 05:06:12 PM
Reply #15

Monteplus3

That helped a lot, thanks for the explanation!

April 28, 2009, 06:16:19 AM
Reply #16

Monteplus3

One other question on this, if I decide to take the extra time and use the stand alone blue ray encoder setting, will I end up with two video files and one audio to load into the MKV Muxer (plus any subtitle files) since it shows two work streams for the video, or does it place both work streams into one video file?  I'm only asking because if I go to all the trouble to wait two days or more for the file to process, I want to be sure I do the right thing at the final step!  Thanks.

April 28, 2009, 11:17:55 AM
Reply #17

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
It will save only one high quality video file.   :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 28, 2009, 12:32:33 PM
Reply #18

nogames

That's interesting since I just used MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray Baraka last night and played it just fine on the WDTV.  Media Info reports it as encoded in VC-1 at 29.7Mbps and the rear jacket of the movie says up to a maximum of 39Mbps.  File size was 22GB. 

Storage efficiency is the main concern here as the tradeoff is size versus speed.  If you have loads of storage space just use MakeMKV and AnyDVD HD and each movie will take 30-45mins to rip but will take up 12-25GB if not more. 

Three easy steps listed here:

http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/

It appears I've run into the subtitle trouble with heavy CPU load introduced with the new subtitle engine. I have danish vobsub subtitles for my blu-ray movies, but WDTV often stutters when enabling the subtitles.

Guess i should consider hardsubbing :yuck:

May 09, 2009, 02:31:26 PM
Reply #19

Monteplus3

I successfully backed up a movie using stand alone blue ray as the encoder setting (took over two days!).  However, when I tried my second movie, the stand alone blue ray option has disappeared....it only offers three options, one of them being the X264 scratchpad that I used to use before.  Any idea why the stand alone blue ray option is no longer in the drop down menu and how I can get it back as an option for encoding?  All updates have been made to MeGUI. 

Also, I noticed when I backed up the last movie on the x264 scratchpad setting the picture was very dark...not sure if that is because I didn't go the extra mile to use the stand alone blue ray option or if it is because of some other reason.  I've also noticed that since I upgraded to the latest WDTV firmware the file titles appear very grainy...they used to be crystal clear.  I've switched to a WD Passport HD....not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.  Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated....thanks.

May 12, 2009, 02:26:59 PM
Reply #20

TerrorByte

I've also noticed that since I upgraded to the latest WDTV firmware the file titles appear very grainy...they used to be crystal clear.  I've switched to a WD Passport HD....not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.  Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated....thanks.

Check the settings. I want to say when you upgrade the firmware it resets to factory default, so if you had it set to a specific resolution, it may be on auto now.

May 19, 2009, 04:45:29 PM
Reply #21

Monteplus3

Was wondering if anyone has used the encoder setting stand alone blue-ray_fast and if there is any difference in the video quality to the stand alone blue-ray setting?

May 19, 2009, 05:19:50 PM
Reply #22

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I have never tried that setting.   :(
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

June 16, 2009, 11:09:45 PM
Reply #23

breadfan

• tvcatchup.com
I use Ripbot264 http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611 along with AnyDVD HD.

Ripbot is excellent software and comes with all the utilities you need (MVKToolnix etc). It handles True HD and FLAC , DTS-HD sound and you can rip to standard sizes or bit rates. It takes some setting up, you need the latest ffdshow, AVISynth amd Haali splitter but is well worth it. I have used it on all my blu-ray rips without failure. Everything plays on the WDTV without stutter or lag.

Here's a good guide http://forum.videohelp.com/topic358185.html.

October 19, 2009, 12:27:29 PM
Reply #24

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
If it has to be plain and simple -> MakeMKV www.makemkv.com

Cya

This one is easy, however makemkv just "wraps" the video in a mkv container. It will often still have insane bitrates of 20-25 Mbps, which WDTV won't play. Even 15 Mbps often fails.

So no-go for most blu-ray movies

This is not entirely true.  It does just wrap it in a MKV container, but it should play over a hard line or from the USB no problem at the high bitrate.

As far as the post above, Ripbot 264 is also a great alternative and is a bit easier to figure out than meGUI

October 28, 2009, 03:05:35 PM
Reply #25

Monteplus3

Recently I have tried to convert two movies and I get the same error message on each:

AviSynth script error:
DirectShowSource: RenderFile, the filter graph manager won't talk to me.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this?  I've tried re-loading MeGUI, but no luck.

Thanks.

November 19, 2009, 12:26:47 PM
Reply #26

Knolan

Anyone interested in a Tutorial to Rip Blu-Rays without re-encoding ?

Pro
Its Fast
Same Quality
Adjustments in Audio and Subs (like DTS to Ac3 etc.)

Con
No resize to 720p possible
Big File Size from 15 GB to 25 GB
WDTV Live 1.04.17 Official > HDMI > Samsung UE 46" B6000. Audio HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR 507. Speakers Teufel

January 21, 2010, 12:07:51 AM
Reply #27

oposky2006

great, thanks for sharing :)

February 16, 2010, 03:14:31 PM
Reply #28

willisurf

a nice tool to convert Blu-ray to MKV is discussed here
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152294

or in the german gleitz forum
http://forum.gleitz.info/showthread.php?t=41747

It is a little tricky to install
(please read http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1367545&postcount=21)

But even as a beta it works fine as a one click solution with multiple audio tracks, multiple subtitles and if selected it preserves the chapters.

Thanks again to hawk!

March 11, 2010, 07:02:31 PM
Reply #29

jimmy8765

If your not too concerned about the file sizes then MakeMKV is not a bad option

http://www.makemkv.com/download/