Author Topic: [Tutorial] WDTV Movie Sheet with WDLXTV & MSheet 2.1.1  (Read 150743 times)

December 23, 2009, 12:51:08 AM
Read 150743 times

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
    ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
What I am:
I decided to write this tutorial because as a newbie, I find it hard to find a complete tutorial if you only want movie sheet on your WDTV. Like I said, I'm just a newbie, so I can't promise you anything but I'll try to answer on every question and I do hope other senior member will help too. I simply try to put everything I know on how to have movie sheet using these 2 great app here on this thread.

I'm an ordinary Windows user, so, complicated linux programming language is a big no no to me and I assure you, if I can do it then anybody else can do it.

Special thanks to b-rad.cc for the wonderful firmware and titi for great app and all the guides.

Ok, here we go.

What You have:
1. wdtv with official firmware 1.03.01
2. no app at all

What You want:

What You need:
-Device:
1. wdtv (of course)
2. memory stick (at least 64MB & Fat32 formated)
3. HDD Drive (your movies collection drive)
4. make sure that the name of your memory sticks & HDD Drive doesn't contain space or special character!

-Application:
1. WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 : web | download | thread
2. MSheet 2.1.1 : web | download | thread
3. Movie Sheet Generator:
   a. WDTV Movie Sheet Generator 1.6.3 : download | thread
   b. Movie GUI Builder 1.403 : web | download
   c. TViXiE v1.2.2 build 33669 : web | download
   d. WDTV  ImageGrabber v2.9.8 : web | download | thread

-Other file:
1. Msheet Test : download

What You do:
1. Download each application & file from their sources as mentioned above. As for the Movie Sheet Generator, you may choose one application or combine them for each application have unique benefits. Read the thread/web to study more about these benefits.

2. Flash your wdtv with WDLXTV Firmware:
   a. unzip file 1.03.01_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1.zip into the root of your fat32 formated memory stick.
   b. insert your memory stick into the wdtv
   c. reboot your wdtv (unplug/plug power supply)
   d. go to setting and choose upgrade firmware
   e. the wdtv will reboot and after several minutes the whole flashing process will complete and reboot again
   f. upon successful flash you will see WDLXTV in the about screen of system settings
   g. the firmware no longer needs to be on anything attached to the wdtv so you can unplug your memory stick from wdtv

3. Install MSheet & do the test first:
   a. delete all the file from your memory stick
   b. unzip file MSheet.app.2.1.1.zip & MSheet_TEST.zip into the root of your memory stick, if you already use event-osd.app.bin, you need to overwrite the existing file. the directory structure of your memory stick should similar to this:

c. Modify MSheet.app.conf as you want (I skip this step)
   d. Plug your memory stick to your wdtv
   e. Reboot your wdtv (unplug/plug power supply)
   f. Go to the TEST folder, and enter one of the folders until the level of it contain the sheets. for example if your memory sticks is in drive G, then browse to "G:\TEST\wall view poster thumb\Thumbs Sheets wall" and let wdtv load all the thumbs
   g. after this stop, restart with your remote and go to that folder again. or you can just press back and enter it again. if it successfully shows movie sheet, you can continue to the next step.

4. Prepare your sheet using Movie GUI Builder or other movie sheet generator. All you have to remember is there more than one way or combination to show the movie sheet using MSheet. what I do familiar with are the following three:
a. to have all the files (movie files, sheets file & thumbs files) for all movies in one folder and the sheets are shown for each movie, the general filename rules are as shown in below example:
-movie files: 2012.avi
-sheet files: 2012.avi_sheet.jpg
-thumbs files: 2012.jpg
b. to have all the files (movie files, sheets file & thumbs files) for all movies in one folder and the sheets shown are only one sheet, the general filename rules are as shown in below example:
-movie files: monk_ep1.avi, monk_ep2.avi & monk_ep3.avi
-sheet files: folder_sheet.jpg
-thumbs files: monk_ep1.jpg, monk_ep2.jpg & monk_ep3.jpg
c. to have movie files in separated folder for each movie title, the general filename rules are as shown in below example:
>inside the "88 Minutes" folder:
-movie files: 88 Minutes.avi
-sheet files: wd_tv.jpg
-thumbs files: folder.jpg
>on the root folder of the "88 Minutes" folder
-sheet files: 88 Minutes_sheet.jpg
folder

to have "wall" view, you have to place the "_wall" file on the folder you wish see as "wall view"
5. use the MSheet app on you HDD
   a. unzip file MSheet.app.2.1.1.zip into the root of your HDD
   b. Modify MSheet.app.conf as you want  (I skip this step)
   c. Plug your HDD to you wdtv
   d. Reboot your wdtv (unplug/plug power supply)
   e. Go to your movie folder, and let wdtv load all the thumbs of directory
   f. after this stop, restart with your remote (or press back) and go to your movie folder
   g. enjoy the sheet. ;)

Regarding step 5, after a while, I conclude that it be better if you use your memory stick to place/load/process your MSheet files or other app. so firstly before you power on the wdtv, plug in your memory sticks and let let it boot with the wdtv. After wdtv show the main menu then you can plug in you HDD to the wdtv. ;)

What Else:
in order to use MSheet smoothly please be adviced for several things:
1. Make sure that the name of your sticks/drive doesn't contain space or special character
2. Make sure that the name of your full path of the directory doesn't contain special character
2. After a reboot and if you don't use .thumbDB feature, to let the wdtv load all thumbs of the directory and after stop and restart the wdtv with the remote.
3. to use 120x180 as resolution of the files used for thumbs
4. to disable the option "display file size" in the wdtv's configuration menu
5. to have sheet's file size under 200kb.
6. use the MSheetConfigurator.1.1 and other script that titi generously provied to prepare the structure of your movie folders that suit your method.

Note:
this tutorial only cover the basic on how to use them (WDLXTV & MSheet) for further rich usable features of both app/fw please visit their thread
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:42:40 AM by ~ kyogoku ~ »

December 23, 2009, 02:19:12 AM
Reply #1

UltraM

Hey,

great tutorial!
i have a WDTV Live, does this method work for the "Live" version too?

thanks!

bye

December 23, 2009, 02:37:46 AM
Reply #2

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
Hey,

great tutorial!
i have a WDTV Live, does this method work for the "Live" version too?

thanks!

bye

Since the WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 and MSheet 2.0.1 designed only for the "non Live" version of WDTV, I'm afraid not.

December 23, 2009, 01:17:41 PM
Reply #3

damnhottt

Where can i find a template for the "Thumbs Sheets"?

December 23, 2009, 02:42:41 PM
Reply #4

bobs

Where can i find a template for the "Thumbs Sheets"?

i made one yesterday (a modification to Aeon Basic Info), go to "official" Msheet topic, one of the latest post.
Tell me if you like it  ;)

December 23, 2009, 05:05:49 PM
Reply #5

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
@bobs: I like your template bobs, to bad I still have error on WDTV Movie Sheet Generator so I only able to use it on TViXie.

@damnhottt: like I said on the note, you can find more interesting things on the original thread of the apps. For example that MSheet have skin feature and I'm not gonna explain it here since on the MSheet thread you can find many post regarding it. I simply put the basic instruction scatter around this forum together, base on my experience on them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:16:35 PM by ~ kyogoku ~ »

December 24, 2009, 03:39:17 AM
Reply #6

bobs

what kind of problem do you have with MSG?

December 25, 2009, 06:06:19 PM
Reply #7

tdugz

I have followed your tutorial and have been trying to get movies sheets on the WDTV for the last week. I am not having any lucky and I don't know why. After finishing all the steps and restarting the WDTV I go back into the test folder and all the movie are there with only the thumbs. On each movie is the sheet that has all the info on it but it does not show on the whole screen just on the thumbview. I guess you could say I have it half working. I would just use this if I could read the information but it is so small and unreadable. The movies don't show up on the bottom of the screen either it is just the same as if you were using the default thumb view but all the info in on the thumb. I'll take any help I can get, thanks guys.

December 25, 2009, 06:33:27 PM
Reply #8

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
Did the four files of the app are in the root of your memory stick?
Did you noticed that the load process after unplug & plug of the power cord is longer than the usual?

December 27, 2009, 08:26:51 PM
Reply #9

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
what kind of problem do you have with MSG?
I keep getting the error message of "Index was outside the bounds of the array." and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

December 28, 2009, 01:54:20 AM
Reply #10

bobs

The first message happens when you choose a jpg directly from pc not letting program downloading the jpg.

It happens to me when, with old movies having not 1280x720 pics, have to manually make wd_tv.jpg..

The second  i still did not understood why it happens... :-\

What movies do you need?  I can give it a try from my pc  ;)

December 28, 2009, 02:25:47 AM
Reply #11

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
The first message happens when you choose a jpg directly from pc not letting program downloading the jpg.

It happens to me when, with old movies having not 1280x720 pics, have to manually make wd_tv.jpg..
Yes,  I did try to use directly from my PC since the internet connection here is very bad.

The second  i still did not understood why it happens... :-\

What movies do you need?  I can give it a try from my pc  ;)
that's very nice of you bobs, its ok, I still got the sheet ready by using Movie GUI Builder. even though is not as good as MSG but its good enough for me. thanks for the offer btw. ;)

December 28, 2009, 08:18:54 AM
Reply #12

tdugz

Did the four files of the app are in the root of your memory stick?
Did you noticed that the load process after unplug & plug of the power cord is longer than the usual?

Yes the four files are there, I also tried two different memory sticks and formatted them both to fat 32. The load process was longer after the reboot it actually never finished. It would take a long time to load up and once it finally did the scanning USB would just keep scanning. Only once did it it finish scanning and even then the program still did not work. I tried unplugging the drive and plugging it back in after the reboot and then it found the USB stick but the movie sheets were still not displayed properly.

December 28, 2009, 02:51:36 PM
Reply #13

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
I presume you already got WDLXTV firmware up and running right? And Is there any space on the name of the memory sticks? The app require the name with no space in it so if the name is "USB FLASH" change it to "USBFLASH"

after sucessful (longer then usual) load process, it shoul look differet then the original OSD of WDLXTV. If not then itsnt load sucessfuly.

December 28, 2009, 09:01:02 PM
Reply #14

Thrillingbroom

I've tried your tutorial and I can get the test Move Sheets to work but it doesn't seem to work on my Hard Drive. I have the files on the root of my hard drive and I do the hard reboot step. Any clues?