Author Topic: WDTV Gen2 -- does it really power down?  (Read 5358 times)

December 22, 2009, 04:45:45 AM
Read 5358 times

golloween

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying WDTV Gen2, but I'm a bit concerned about the fact that Gen1 doesn't actually power down -- apparently, it just shuts down LEDs, DSP and OSD, but still stays powered up (actually, I don't own WDTV yet, I just read about this here on this forum). My other concern is the drive spin-down problem. Have they fixed these problems in WDTV Gen 2?

To sum up, my question is: Can I really power down WDTV Gen2 and spin down the drive by pressing a button on the remote, or I have to disconnect the power physically?

Thank you!
Vladimir.

December 22, 2009, 02:35:28 PM
Reply #1

gogosteve

Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying WDTV Gen2, but I'm a bit concerned about the fact that Gen1 doesn't actually power down -- apparently, it just shuts down LEDs, DSP and OSD, but still stays powered up (actually, I don't own WDTV yet, I just read about this here on this forum). My other concern is the drive spin-down problem. Have they fixed these problems in WDTV Gen 2?

To sum up, my question is: Can I really power down WDTV Gen2 and spin down the drive by pressing a button on the remote, or I have to disconnect the power physically?

Thank you!
Vladimir.

The drive spin down feature was added in the original WDTV some firmwares ago. Neither the WDTV 1 or 2 can be completely switched off via remote, pressing the power button will spin down any attached drives and put the unit into a low power consumption standby mode. (If watching a video ensure you press the stop button before powering off or the drive will not spin down)

January 18, 2010, 03:18:10 AM
Reply #2

AltezzaDF

The USB-flash device stays warm even when the gen2 is off.

January 20, 2010, 02:20:43 PM
Reply #3

cyber

I think USB is OFF (is not the case with GEN1). But the WDTV is internally in low power mode, but the CPU is working (for example, if you conect a serial port to the internal RX/TX you can access to the linux root console when the device is "off"). I thin that de WDTV consumes about 1 or 2 watts in "off" status.

January 24, 2010, 10:27:16 AM
Reply #4

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I think USB is OFF (is not the case with GEN1). But the WDTV is internally in low power mode, but the CPU is working (for example, if you conect a serial port to the internal RX/TX you can access to the linux root console when the device is "off"). I thin that de WDTV consumes about 1 or 2 watts in "off" status.

There is no low power mode; cpu, dsp, & bus are all still running at same clock rate. The only things that happens when you push power on the remote is the OSD is turned off and the 5V usb bus power is turned off. Your device is not getting warm because there is no power.

January 30, 2010, 11:06:47 AM
Reply #5

cyber

Yes, b-rad.

Sigma said "To meet the new low-power requirements for CE products, the SMP8650 family features several standby features, including wake-on-IR, wake-on-LAN and sleep/standby with DRAM data preserved".

Wake-on-IR should be a good low power strategy....