Author Topic: A Lazy Mans folder.jpg, wd_tv.jpg, and wd_tv.txt Generator! Version 2.9.9.1  (Read 105935 times)

December 27, 2009, 11:34:05 AM
Reply #30

monsterru

Found a strange problem it crashes when trying to download the "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" information. Works well with other movies.

Thanks for the great app,
Dima

an update:

I have made it work this way:
1 - Changed the Harry Potter folder to the name it would not recognize and skip.
2 - Downloaded the rest of the covers
3 - Renamed back to the original
4 - Run again and voila it worked!

This makes me believe there is some interesting bug, possible related to the previous movie or some variable not being cleared/handled properly for some reason.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:45:45 AM by monsterru »

December 27, 2009, 07:34:53 PM
Reply #31

vampiricus

@spookie: Heres what I found for those movies..

Fast & Furious (2009) will work with "Fast & Furious", the program couldn't find an exact name match and went after the first movie on the "close matches" list.

For Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead you have no option but to stick with it, since there is only one background and one poster on the database. You'd have to wait until someone adds more photos, or you could add some yourself :D

Star Trek (2009) just try generating again, there are multiple backgrounds and posters and my program will randomly choose a combination each time.

and im sorry you went through the bug testing, I never knew about an image limit on the WDTV since I used the default 85% which looked good enough and was always below the limit. I can scale down to fit, but before I do anything with it, I need to research and find out what exactly is causing it.. maybe Western Digital support will know.

December 27, 2009, 07:37:02 PM
Reply #32

vampiricus

@monsterru: I can't seem to duplicate this problem. If possible could you give me the program settings for when it occurred, and also the movie before it?

December 28, 2009, 08:09:12 AM
Reply #33

monsterru

@monsterru: I can't seem to duplicate this problem. If possible could you give me the program settings for when it occurred, and also the movie before it?

Ok I have been able to reproduce it on the clean directory. It helps being a software tester in the day time too... LOL

Here is the trick to do this: It depends on the name of the Drive as well!!!
So it happened first on my network drive with this name: " I on 'SharePoint Server (192.168.1.120)' " Notice the single quotes in it, I think its the trick.
I have created a "Movies Test" directory on it, in it I have created "G I Joe The Rise Of Cobra" and "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" folders
Now if I run the "WDTVImageGrabber.exe" on them it crashes. I use all the default settings Override Content is unchecked, Generate wd_tv.txt is unchecked, Opacity is 70, Image quality is 85%, Backdrop is cinema, Year style is year only and Same name movies - use newest.

Here is the gag - I have copied the test directory to the local drive with the name "Data" and the issue does not happen!
I rename the Drive name to " I on 'SharePoint Server (192)' " and guess what? It crashes!
So my wild guess is that it has something to do with the single quotes in it.

Hope this helps, and let me know if I can give you any more information.

Dima

December 28, 2009, 04:19:18 PM
Reply #34

vampiricus

Ok thanks to your great testing I figured out the cause. In the database there are some rare instances where there is a link to an image, but the image doesnt actually exist resulting in and error. The reason why it doesnt occur every time is because the images are randomly selected so the missing image is not always selected, but when it does it results in a crash. Now in V2.1 when the same thing happens there will be a message box that shows up for a couple seconds reporting the missing image and also adds a star by the movie name in the results box so you know which movies will have missing images.

For the directory path, single quotes and other special characters work fine on my tests.

December 28, 2009, 04:47:45 PM
Reply #35

monsterru

Ok thanks to your great testing I figured out the cause. In the database there are some rare instances where there is a link to an image, but the image doesnt actually exist resulting in and error. The reason why it doesnt occur every time is because the images are randomly selected so the missing image is not always selected, but when it does it results in a crash. Now in V2.1 when the same thing happens there will be a message box that shows up for a couple seconds reporting the missing image and also adds a star by the movie name in the results box so you know which movies will have missing images.

For the directory path, single quotes and other special characters work fine on my tests.

Thanks for the timely response. It is great to see someone taking such great care with their software. Keep it up man!

Dimitri

December 28, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
Reply #36

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
    ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
@vampiricus: Great software & here's my feedback, it would be better if :
1. we can choose backdrop & poster images in multiple result.
2. we can define the position of the info & poster. Your default position is in the bottom of backdrop and when using titi's MSheet, it will be blocked by the thumbs. below is the result of your program and the ideal one for MSheet.

your program result:

ideal one for MSheet:

I know you use laurentG for movie sheet but it would be great if we can use them on titi's MSheet too. thank in advance. :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:53:59 PM by ~ kyogoku ~ »

December 28, 2009, 08:33:09 PM
Reply #37

greiland

Awesome software!  Really impressed with the work you've done and in such a short time.  I saw one comment from someone wanting the MPAA rating included.  I also think that would be a great addition.  There's only 1 other "WDTV movie sheet generator" that I've seen that grabs the MPAA rating, and that's Movie Gui Builder (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=951350).  Looks like that software may be grabbing it from different web sites.  Not sure if it's doable for you, but if so, it would be great.

Keep up the great work.  Thanks!

December 29, 2009, 09:39:51 AM
Reply #38

vampiricus

@greiland: Thanks  :) it was a fun project for me too. I think that I will stick to themoviedb for now, i think that software is retrieving the MPAA rating from IMDB.

@kyogoku: I released V2.2 which now has a "MSheet" backdrop style. It is basically the cinema version with the overlay part shifted up about 200 pixels. I think this will have ample space for the MSheet thumbnails, but if you have the time please test this out for me! As for choosing backdrops and posters, I think I will leave that functionality out because there are other more robust software out there more suitable for creating custom movie sheets. This software is for those of you looking for a simple way to generate a large amount movie sheets with point and click ease of use.

note: see the original post for updated images displaying how the three backdrop styles look with enlarged view.

December 29, 2009, 11:03:58 AM
Reply #39

Japaja

This software is for those of you looking for a simple way to generate a large amount movie sheets with point and click ease of use.

Exactly! :P
Since you are so active mb u can fix that little bug i mentioned before. Just get the sheet for movie Moon (2009) and look at rating.

December 29, 2009, 07:12:31 PM
Reply #40

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
@kyogoku: I released V2.2 which now has a "MSheet" backdrop style. It is basically the cinema version with the overlay part shifted up about 200 pixels. I think this will have ample space for the MSheet thumbnails, but if you have the time please test this out for me!
it works great! I haven't try it on my wdtv since I'm at work right now but by comparing to other MSheet backdrop, the space below should be enough for the thumbs. thx a lot.

As for choosing backdrops and posters, I think I will leave that functionality out because there are other more robust software out there more suitable for creating custom movie sheets. This software is for those of you looking for a simple way to generate a large amount movie sheets with point and click ease of use.
since your program already choose the good quality picture I can understand this :)

if itsn't to much to ask it would be great if  your program
1. have the Basic style MSheet compatible backdrop also.
2. is able to use proxy connection.
3. have bigger (or choose-able) font size of the overview.

:) thanks in advance

December 29, 2009, 08:29:39 PM
Reply #41

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
As for choosing backdrops and posters, I think I will leave that functionality out because there are other more robust software out there more suitable for creating custom movie sheets. This software is for those of you looking for a simple way to generate a large amount movie sheets with point and click ease of use.
since your program already choose the good quality picture I can understand this :)
on second thought, IMHO, I think you should consider this options/feature. After I decided to have all my sheet with your program, it sometime choose picture that's not good enough, so having an option to choose between multiple picture is better then to have the process over again for the one we don't like. :)

for example, some of the poster picture (folder.jpg) are the cover of dvd and your program doesn't smoothly place them on the backdrop. so I have to re-process all that have this kind of poster if I don't want to have un-smooth backdrop. below is the sample that I got:

sorry for demanding so much :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 09:57:46 PM by ~ kyogoku ~ »

December 29, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
Reply #42

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
Fast & Furious (2009) will work with "Fast & Furious", the program couldn't find an exact name match and went after the first movie on the "close matches" list.
Fyi, I also found out that it also have issue with number, for example I try "Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer" three times but it failed. Then I change it to "Fantastic Four Rise Of The Silver Surfer" and it works :)

December 30, 2009, 12:01:53 PM
Reply #43

vampiricus

Heres another update, V2.3. This one is mostly minor bug fixes, also added an MSheet version for the Basic style backdrop called "MSBasic". Movie overview font is now bold, but right now I have no composite cable to test if the font is visible enough yet.

@kyogoku: Those cover dvds are actually PNG files with transparency, I decided to remove PNG files from being used as posters since there always seems to be an alternative. I've had my fair share of horrible backdrop or poster combinations as well, maybe I will create an "interactive" option to go through each movie and choose a backdrop/poster to use and leave it deselected by default.

December 30, 2009, 12:40:38 PM
Reply #44

klassic

First off this is a great program.  Saves me the hassle of having to find all the images myself.  Yeah I have had to go through and regenerate some of the movies several times to get something I liked, but its pretty easy.  I would definitely be for an option to choose from available images.

Now my only issue (not with the program) is creating movie sheets for 14 of my daughters movies that aren't in the database.  Children's movies are so hard to find.