Author Topic: A Lazy Mans folder.jpg, wd_tv.jpg, and wd_tv.txt Generator! Version 2.9.9.1  (Read 106028 times)

December 23, 2009, 12:54:48 PM
Reply #15

vampiricus

Alright V1.7 is out with the recommended movie info changes along with minor bug fix. Now theres a drop down to choose how the release date is formatted.

@full: oddly enough MPAA rating isn't stored on the database so right now it isn't possible to retrieve that information.

@damnhottt: I got immensely confused by all the osd app.bin xml mumbo jumbo, so heres what I did:

1. Installed the latest WDLXTV firmware + LaurentG.app.bin
2. Used this WDTV Image Grabber which went through my entire movie directory and generated the folder.jpg (which becomes a thumbnail) and wd_tv.jpg (which becomes a background picture with movie info)
3. Thats it, thumbs and backdrops now show up on WDTV

As for WDTV Image Grabber, it searches an online database for the images based on your movie directory, so make sure the directory has the correct name. For example:

D:\movies\The Bourne Identity\   -  works
D:\movies\The Bourne Identity[2009]\   -  wont work
D:\movies\Bourne\   -  will work, but might not be the right movie since this is a trilogy

December 23, 2009, 01:47:08 PM
Reply #16

Japaja

Ok I have a question. Which image does your program use for poster? For example movie Watchmen looks like u use watchmen_ver8_cover.jpg, but watchmen_ver8.jpg is better quality, better to use for source. I hope u understand what I mean my English might be flawed.
Also I found a movie Twilight from 2008 maybe u heard of it? Try to get covers for it. :P
Turns out there's another totally unrelated movie of same name from 1998 and so the program only gets folder.jpg, returns no errors and no wd_tv.jpg
Didn't have much time, but here's one idea for director and cast.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:56:30 PM by Japaja »

December 23, 2009, 02:36:13 PM
Reply #17

vampiricus

Whoops! I fixed the bug introduced in V1.6 that happened with Twilight, redownload V1.7 and it should work now. For the record, this program will find the newest movie released when the movie names are the same.

Regarding the image quality, my app should be downloading the highest quality version and resize it to fit 1280x720. This is because sometimes the image is 1920x1080. Where can I dl watchmen_ver8_cover.jpg downloadable from?

December 23, 2009, 02:52:37 PM
Reply #18

Japaja

I'm not talking about the background, but the poster. When u go to themoviedb.org and look down at small poster from Watchmen file-name is watchmen_ver8_cover.jpg, but when u click on it there's a bigger better version of it and its name is watchmen_ver8.jpg I think ur program is using the small poster not the bigger one witch u get when u click on it.

December 23, 2009, 06:09:17 PM
Reply #19

vampiricus

The same applies to the poster. The "original" version is the largest, it is usually 1000px height. The app downloads this version, and then resizes down to poster dimensions. Right now when the file is saved, the jpeg is set to 85% quality. This may be why the image quality is not the same, but it already looks very good  :). Do you know if image loading time on the WDTV is affected by image quality? I can make the image quality configurable or just plain 100%.

100% is about 3x the image size of 85%.

Also is there any need for this type of file? moviename.avi -> moviename.jpg It seems to act as a thumbnail for the movie file itself.

December 23, 2009, 07:22:31 PM
Reply #20

Japaja

Ok, I understand now. Thank you for explaining. Please make image quality of small poster (folder.jpg) configurable. Those images are now around 10kB and smaller. They can be up to 50kB without affecting performance. (I think, since the ones I use previously where about that size)
Yes, It acts as a thumbnail for movie file itself witch u don't see when u use sheets, but It wouldn't hurt adding it as option too.:P I'm more interested if u can do something about director/cast like on my mock-up maybe. ;) Or just director/language instead budget and revenue?

Edit: I just had an idea. How about always getting a random backdrop instead just the first one. The movie Avatar has 9 backdrops for selecting and the program could randomly chose one of them.  :o
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:36:43 PM by Japaja »

December 23, 2009, 11:36:25 PM
Reply #21

vampiricus

V1.8 is out! Now there is a drop down to set image quality, its global so its affects both folder.jpg and wd_tv.jpg. I made the new Cinema layout similar to your mockup, but instead I added director and cast both at the bottom.

Random backdrops is interesting, but I think it wouldn't make any difference to most people, since they only generate once.

December 24, 2009, 12:18:50 AM
Reply #22

full

i like the idea of random backdrops. i already tried to rescan (after deleting the jpg´s) hoping that your app would download another backdrop :)

e.g. the movie "Into the wild" - cover and backdrop are the same. I would prefer another backdrop then the cover. there are more movies like "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" or "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" where the cover and the backdrop are identical so random backdrop would be a great feature.

btw thanks for updating your app so fast.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:24:41 AM by full »

December 24, 2009, 10:16:47 AM
Reply #23

vampiricus

Alright in V1.9 I removed the destination directory, I never use it anyway. Also the poster and backdrop images are now randomly generated. Try it out!

I wrote this app mostly from work. This will be my way of getting back at them for making me work on Christmas Eve  >:(

December 24, 2009, 10:52:34 AM
Reply #24

full

Alright in V1.9 I removed the destination directory, I never use it anyway. Also the poster and backdrop images are now randomly generated. Try it out!

I wrote this app mostly from work. This will be my way of getting back at them for making me work on Christmas Eve  >:(

now this looks perfect now ;)

happy xmas, vampiricus ;)

December 24, 2009, 12:45:51 PM
Reply #25

gordo

This is great!

I did run into one issue, other than not finding some movie titles. I've got both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns in my library. The problem is that there are several movies with the title of The Mummy and so it picks up the one from 1959 instead of the 1999 version. Any way for it to ask which version if there are multiple occurrences?

Oh yeah, could this be adapted to do a similar thing for Music albums?

December 24, 2009, 04:37:46 PM
Reply #26

vampiricus

V2.0 now has a drop down for "Use Newest" or "Manual Select". Use Newest will just automatically select the newest movie of the same name. Manual select will ask you about the year your movie was released, and you choose the correct one. If you select no for all of them, it will say screw u and pick the latest released movie.

This can only work with movies..
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:11:00 PM by vampiricus »

December 24, 2009, 11:29:42 PM
Reply #27

Japaja

There is just one little bug remaining, but i don't want to bother u with it instead I thank you for this gift and wish u happy holidays. :D

December 26, 2009, 05:22:13 PM
Reply #28

spookie

This is fantastic, though there are a couple of annoyances for me...

1) No matter how I name 'Fast And Furious' (the newest one), it always retrieves info from the 2nd movie
2) Sometimes it fetches very poor quality posters (demo it with Doctor Who: Planet Of The Dead)
3) Sometimes the background is still the same as the poster (example: Star Trek (2009)), sometimes the background is annoyingly stretched (example: Doctor Who as above)

Now I would like to again thank you for the tool as it makes things to easy, but could you perhaps add a 'manual' tab to the program, so that you can choose a single movie and choose the poster & background combo that you want from images you already have on the PC etc, rather than leave it for the program to download. That way you give the user full control to choose a cover/poster combo they want and also choose better quality images etc, as again, sometimes they are bad quality.

It's just a suggestion, and I don't want you to feel im treading on your toes... i just think it would be a welcome addition from everyone that uses it.

December 27, 2009, 04:23:28 AM
Reply #29

spookie

Sorry for the double post, but ohh my, what a headache...

Spent hours last night structuring my entire HDD and then using the program to download the movie sheets for everything. Most of the wd_tv.jpg's would not display as a background for my movies. I spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong - I re-installed WDLXTV firmware, I enabled and disabled lilibabes OSD, I re-downloaded LaurentG.app, and I went through the configuration file a million times.

Then I discovered something... out of the 50-60 HD movies on the hard drive, the only wd_tv.jpg's that displayed were under 500KB. So I figured there was a bug somewhere (i doubt it's from the program... more likely a firmware/osd limitation?) preventing >500KB files from working, so I stopped using 100% JPG quality and tried 55% - low and behold all of the wd_tv.jpg's display for the movies!

Is this a known issue for anyone? On the flip side, if you are having a similar issue then try the above and it should work.

Now, if this finding can be confirmed, is there a way for the app to instead of saving the JPG as a percentage of the original, to automatically scale the quality so that the file is ~450-500KB and never over? That way every background downloaded will be adjusted automatically to get the best possible quality that the WDTV will actually display.