Author Topic: Does it support AAC with 6 channels contained in an MKV file  (Read 11532 times)

October 30, 2010, 01:04:30 PM
Reply #15

Mattpp

Hi, WDTV Live does play AAC 6 channel audio (at least it does with firmware 1.02.21) but you have to set Audio to Sterio in Setting, Audio/Video. So no need to convert anything.

November 22, 2010, 08:19:08 AM
Reply #16

pdonahue

Anyone know if the WDTV Live Hub is able to decode AAC 5.1 and output it as DTS or AC3 5.1 on the optical S/PDIF connector?
The WDTV Live can either pass through the AAC, or down-mix it to stereo, but it is not able to decode it on the fly.  If the Hub is able to handle that then I will upgrade (also gives GBit ethernet), but if not then I will wait for a version that is able to handle AAC 5.1.

el mono

November 22, 2010, 08:30:07 AM
Reply #17

RoofingGuy

You're never going to see a version that will transcode AAC to DTS or AC3.

If your receiver won't accept AAC input, then all you can do with the AAC is output it as stereo PCM.

And I don't think anything other than stereo AAC is supported by any of the WDTV devices anyways, so even if your receiver does accept AAC, I have a feeling the WDTV won't be passing the 5.1 through to it.

Seems rather pointless to rip the AC3/DTS on the disc, encode it to AAC in a file, and then want to change it back to AC3/DTS for playback.  Why not just keep the AC3/DTS to begin with, then there will be far less playback problems.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:53:44 PM by RoofingGuy »

January 16, 2011, 03:47:55 PM
Reply #18

Urisk

Hi,

You're never going to see a version that will transcode AAC to DTS or AC3.

If your receiver won't accept AAC input, then all you can do with the AAC is output it as stereo PCM.

That sounds as if you are denying the existing possibility of transmitting multi channel pcm via hdmi. Why can't the WD TV live do that?

April 20, 2011, 10:54:44 PM
Reply #19

Sweety

I have ever tried AAC 6 channels MKV with WD HD Media Player, and it played no sound. I mean, no stereo sound. But there is an optical port on the player for you to pass-through the 6 channels audio to audio receiver. Luckily I got an av receiver that decodes AAC. So I got 6 channels. 

May 15, 2011, 11:28:46 AM
Reply #20

remon

who has not AAC compatible av-receiver, which must convert the audio tracks.
quick and easy it is to MP42MKVac3
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:52:24 AM by remon »