Author Topic: Does it support AAC with 6 channels contained in an MKV file  (Read 11001 times)

December 16, 2009, 02:31:26 PM
Read 11001 times

userKX53

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying the WD HD TV player but wanted to confirm something first. I have read the specifications of the player and it states that it supports Dolby Digital (AC3) and AAC 2 channel only.

Most of my files are MKV format containing a h.264 video file and an AAC 6 channel audio track.

Can someone confirm that they have played files with AAC 6 channel on their player and it played fine?

Thanks

December 18, 2009, 10:02:46 AM
Reply #1

walshi

I "Think" it will pass through the AAC 6 channels if you have wdtv set to digital. This can then be decoded with an external receiver.

However...
My receiver doesn't seem to want to play 6 channel AAC when I think it should? It's a Denon AVR-1908. I'm having to convert my AAC sound to AC3 and all is well although it's a convoluted process for me!

Can someone confirm if I should be able to hear 6 channel AAC through my receiver? (Denon AVR-1908 Connected to wdtv via hdmi)

Regards

December 23, 2009, 08:03:52 AM
Reply #2

Pangadaywalker

99% of the receivers will not accept AAC.

What I do, I use a program called dBPowerAmp. Install the correct codecs (AAC and AC3) and then convert the AAC to an AC3 with 640KBPS.

Put back in the MKV and it is done. You don't need even to synch the audio. Everything is ok.

Cheers
My set:

December 23, 2009, 02:32:58 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

January 10, 2010, 07:33:07 AM
Reply #4

shemilio

evenmore, I do not know about any receiver that is capable of decoding AAC5.1, at least the affordable/home ones... !

On the other hand, I may be very lucky, but almost all my 5.1 content is DTS or AC3, not many AAC ;)

cheers,

January 16, 2010, 08:14:54 PM
Reply #5

backhoekid

WDTV does not play AAC6 files they need to be converted to AC3 and tucked inside an MKV.

January 21, 2010, 08:50:21 PM
Reply #6

SoNic67

None of the existing digital receivers will decode AAC surround files. That format is supported by nobody (except linux world) and it is often confused with AC3 (DolbyDigital).
AAC is just a mp3 with 6 channels, worthless... It can't be pass-trough via optical.
The only way to use it is if the WDTV Live will decode it in LPCM and inserted in HDMI as 6 channels LPCM - and that connected to a receiver that supports audio decoding from HDMI (not just switching).

January 22, 2010, 02:00:00 PM
Reply #7

pitcritter

OK, assume I know nothing and you won't be far off ;)

In this situation, I assume that I need a tool to split the container file (mkv, avi, mp4...) into the separate audio and video streams, then I need another tool to convert 6 channel AAC to AC3 5.1, then I need another tool (or maybe back to the first one) to put it all back together.

Whew...

This sounds A) too complicated, and B) slow.

Is there a way to do this in one step, and hopefully not recode the video to save time?

If not, what do the users here recommend for the above three tools?

January 24, 2010, 03:30:11 PM
Reply #8

Pangadaywalker

You will use the MKVToolNix for Extract and Merge files again. And DbPowerAmp to reconvert.

On my machine, less then 15 minutes for each file.

Maybe a little hard to get everything setup, but once it is done, then it is pretty straight foward.

Cheers.
My set:

January 25, 2010, 03:43:54 AM
Reply #9

pitcritter

You will use the MKVToolNix for Extract and Merge files again. And DbPowerAmp to reconvert.

On my machine, less then 15 minutes for each file.

Maybe a little hard to get everything setup, but once it is done, then it is pretty straight foward.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply Pangadaywalker.

I got off my butt and did some searching and some playing and I've found another solution.  I found that extracting "Tracks" with Extract was a little too involved for my liking.

I found Popcorn Audio Converter (freeware) which is basically a front-end for a bunch of different programs.  It does everything I need and isn't too slow even on my dinosaur machine.  It also keeps me away from command line for the most part (always a good thing for my typing skills).

I still use ToolNix if I have a problem with a non-MKV file.  I convert it and then let Popcorn take care of everything.  For instance, I had the Bourne Trilogy in great quality, but it was MP4 w/ AAC 6 channel video.  I converted to MKV w/ToolNix and then let the Popcorn converter convert the audio from AAC to AC3...perfection.

January 26, 2010, 07:54:01 AM
Reply #10

Pangadaywalker

Same thing I do. But instead using the Popcorn I learn to use the MKVToolnix. It is a windows program, no command line.

Very nice and fast.

But glad you work it out.

Cheers.
My set:

January 26, 2010, 09:43:51 AM
Reply #11

pitcritter

Pangadaywalker, there was mention of a GUI, but when I downloaded MKVToolNix, I could only figure out how to run command line.

Where did you d/l it and what exe file are you running for the GUI?

January 26, 2010, 09:59:01 AM
Reply #12

Pangadaywalker

For the GUI I use the file called MMG.EXE.

I downloaded from Videohelp.com as I recall.

Not really sure now.

Cheers.
My set:

January 26, 2010, 10:06:45 AM
Reply #13

pitcritter

Thanks, I'll check on it when I get home.

January 29, 2010, 04:20:28 AM
Reply #14

pyya

Hi

Why dont you try xvid4psp which converts AAC 6 channel to AC3 in no time and also takes care of other video and audio convertions. I give below the link www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

Regards

pyya