Author Topic: WDTV doesn't play True HD sound  (Read 3442 times)

February 27, 2009, 12:06:12 PM
Read 3442 times

machoman

I"m curious why no one has yet to mention or complain that the WDTV doesn't play True HD sound that's in a lot of the new Blue rays. Maybe not many people are using Blue rays discs or ripping them? One of the greatest downfall of the WDTV is that its not able to play True HD sound which limits the WDTV to only blue ray titles with DTS or older sound formats.

February 27, 2009, 11:24:20 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
While it is true that the WDTV does not pass True HD (or DTS MA for that matter) I think only a small fraction of the users have the receivers to decode those relatively new formats.  As the WDTV is priced as an entry level device, and does not purport to handle the lossless audio, I don't think this is a problem for most WDTV owners.  It would be nice, but certainly not a deal breaker. 

Incidentally, the WDTV will never be able to support even passthough of these formats as it is a v1.2 HDMI not v1.3

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

February 28, 2009, 03:05:25 PM
Reply #2

machoman

The specs don't say clearly enoug that it is v1.2 and NOT v1.3. The marketing and on the box materials lead people to think that it is truly HD capable which means its able to accept all blue ray materials (because if you want HD that's mostly gonna come from blue ray discs).

The fact that it can't take most new blue ray ripps  is a deal breaker for many serious and amateur movie collectors.

February 28, 2009, 03:36:49 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I agree that the specs on the HDMI are confusing at best and misleading at worst. 

The thing about these media players that I have found is that EVERYONE has a different idea about what they want to use them for. 

It is a new technology and as such will not please everyone for $100. 

For me, this thing works great and does all I need it too. 
For you I think a Popcorn Hour Media Tank would be better.
For others, they need a full quad core PC.
I rip my Blu-rays at 1080p MKVs with AC3 and they look and sound great on my 120" big screen and my 5.1 system. 
I am sure someday I will upgrade my reciever to a DTS MA/TrueHD.  But right now it is not a priority. 
If it was I would go with the Popcorn Hour.  It's twice the money however, and not without it's own problems. 

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 01, 2009, 02:07:28 AM
Reply #4

machoman

1080p MKV blue ray rips? Can you pls elaborate your workflow. I've looked into the demuxer thingy and it sure looks complicated. Anything as simple as dvdfab or anydvd to rip the blue rays into AC3 format without going through complicated workflows.

March 01, 2009, 12:21:36 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
For sure machoman.  I will write one up and post it later today in the conversion forum. :)