Author Topic: ThumbGen - Generate thumbs and moviesheets for WD TV Media Players  (Read 315815 times)

December 06, 2009, 03:39:07 AM
Read 315815 times

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
This application collects and generates thumbnails for all the WD TV Media Players.

Features:

Supports choosing posters from:
amazon.com/de/fr/ca/co.uk,
TheTVDB.com,
TheMovieDB.org,
Alpacine.com,
Filmposter-Archiv.de,
Cinemagia.ro,
Blu-ray.com,
MoviePosterDB.com,
movieplayer.it,
OFDb.de,
MovieMeter.nl
Cine-Passion (FR),
cinema.ptgate.pt,
FilmAffinity.com (EN+ES)
CSFD.cz,
sratim.co.il,
FilmWeb.pl
Port.hu
OutNow.ch

Supports IMDb detailed movie info (incl. MPAA/Certification)
Supports following thumbnail sizes:
120x160, 120x180, 150x200, 163x245, 180x240, 200x300, 225x300, 240x360
Smart detection of the movie by folder name, filename or moviehash
IMBD Id scan through .nfo/.txt files
A selected image can be used for all files in the current folder (nice for series)
Manual adjustment of the search keywords at any time
Autoupdate mechanism to keep user up-to-date
Add episode numbers over the selected thumbnail (the user decides text, font, color and position)
Embedded video player to generate thumbnails for own movies
Automatic download of external subtitles (courtesy of opensubtitles.org)
Support for backdrops and moviesheets
Detailed media information for the video files
Full support for Moviesheets (TViXiE templates) including storing metadata for future updating moviesheets
And much more.... read the topic for details  ;)

Have fun :)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:40:35 PM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

December 06, 2009, 04:12:32 AM
Reply #1

yvzrgntv

thanks will try and give feedback...

December 06, 2009, 07:18:14 AM
Reply #2

ricerz

The link to download the file does not work.

December 06, 2009, 09:13:12 AM
Reply #3

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
It seems to work well, pls try again.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:31:29 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

December 06, 2009, 10:32:14 AM
Reply #4

radio1

Thanks bingobongo...!

Will the size 200x300 have any issues vs. the usual size of 120x180???

December 06, 2009, 10:57:40 AM
Reply #5

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
No issues, I just created the thumbnails for my movies collection and 200x300 (max. 70KB) seems to be fine (has same aspect ratio as 120x180). I considered 200x300 a better option regarding the thumbnail quality.
Get ThumbGen!

December 07, 2009, 05:21:35 PM
Reply #6

ricerz

This did not work for me. I tried this program on three systems (Windows XP, Vista and 7) and everytime I ran it, it would crash. I tried connecting the external hard drive directly to the computer, I tried connecting it to the WDTV Live and mapping the drive and both failed.

December 07, 2009, 06:09:35 PM
Reply #7

Whoheart

This did not work for me. I tried this program on three systems (Windows XP, Vista and 7) and everytime I ran it, it would crash. I tried connecting the external hard drive directly to the computer, I tried connecting it to the WDTV Live and mapping the drive and both failed.

I would have suggested you didn't have the bloat that is .net, but on the other hand i would have assumed that is standard on 7
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 07, 2009, 07:49:45 PM
Reply #8

jsdoyle

I wish I had seen this last week!  I spent two days manually pulling the thumbs up on IMDB, screen grabbing the images, then putting them in folders with the folder.jpg name and the name of the movie file.

I now have found out that a plugin for Windows Media Player called My Movies will do even more!  I have my movies in individual folders per movie.  They are in folders too depending on the genre.  The My Movies plugin has a Configuration Management app that you point at your folder holding the movies and it scans all of them, downloads the front and back cover art, creates a folder.jpg file and grabs all of the xlm info on the movie. 

I'm connected to my WDTV Live via wireless and I'm connected to it now letting the plugin scan the drive.  It has found everyone of them so far and it is a mixture of vob, mkv, mp4, and avi movie files.

The plugin is especially sweet to view in WMP!

December 08, 2009, 03:18:34 AM
Reply #9

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
@ricerz: I am sorry for your problems, the app is a standard .NET 3.5SP1 application (if .NET is not installed properly it will be installed during app installation automatically).

@jsdoyle: I also started to do the app before seeing "My Movies" (BTW, this plugin does not support XP, only Vista/7) ... but as I was considering storing movies per year and then without folders, I went on with the ThumbGen :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:55:30 AM by bingobongo »
Get ThumbGen!

December 08, 2009, 11:29:11 AM
Reply #10

mbojangles

Constant crashing on WinXP SP3:
EventType : clr20r3     P1 : thumbgen.exe     P2 : 1.0.0.0     P3 : 4b1b87f8
P4 : thumbgen     P5 : 1.0.0.0     P6 : 4b1b87f8     P7 : 37     P8 : 2c     
P9 : system.nullreferenceexception     

December 08, 2009, 11:32:20 AM
Reply #11

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
:( Do you have .NET Framework 3.5SP1 installed? Is it happening on startup? If not... when? Thx for feedback.

In the next days I will release another version with improved default search keywords and better exception handling (it will be easier to track down why is it crashing on startup).
Get ThumbGen!

December 08, 2009, 12:12:54 PM
Reply #12

mbojangles

I do have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

The app has never been able to get a thumbnail for a movie that doesn't already have one.  I have been able to successfully change existing thumbnails.  I get the following sequence when trying to get new thumbs:

1. Start app
2. Leave all sources checked.
3. Overwrite existing thumbnails is unchecked.
4. Hit Start and browse to my directory (it's on a locally attached USB drive).
5. I get the darkened "Loading" screen for about 5 seconds.  Peering through the darkness, I can see that it's working on the first available movie in the folder that does not already have a thumbnail.
6. After the five seconds, the dark loading screen disappears, the app's normal appearance is seen and the crash UI immediately pops up asking if I want to "Send Error Report".

More testing (I am not rebooting between tests):
-Using only Amazon source (Overwrite unchecked) - same as above
-Using only TheMovieDB (Overwrite unchecked) - same as above
-Using only TheTVDB (Overwrite unchecked) - it asked me to change my keywords since the result was not found.  I hit Skip Movie and it crashed.
-Using only TheTVDB (Overwrite unchecked) - it asked me to change my keywords since the result was not found.  I changed keyword to something it will find ("The Office") and it crashed.
-Using all sources (Overwrite checked) - The interactive search results screen appeared for my first movie (that already has a thumbnail) ("101 Dalmatians").  I clicked through various suggested images and they appeared.  I then chose one and hit "Choose It!".  The app successfully moved on to my next movie ("Aladdin") which was also a pre-existing thumbnail.  I chose to Skip this one.  The app successfully moved on to my next movie ("Babe") which also has a pre-existing thumbnail.  I skipped this one. It then gets to "Ella Enchanted.avi" and crashes.  This is the first movie that does not already have a thumbnail.  I tried removing this file from the folder.  Ran the app again... and it crashed on the first movie that did not already have a thumbnail.

The error report seems to indicate some kind of null reference.  Is there a problem where a field is null (because I don't already have a thumbnail)?

A work around for me to try would be to take an existing image, make a whole bunch of copies of it, and name the copies to match my movies.  Then use your app to "overwrite existing".  But, you know, that'd be a pain.

App is a great idea and I appreciate you making it available for free.  Let me know if you need more info for troubleshooting.

December 08, 2009, 12:30:21 PM
Reply #13

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Thank you very much for your detailed report!!
Based on your test I quickly found the bug (an updated version will be posted latest tomorrow evening).

PS: Leaving  "Overwrite existing thumbnails" unchecked means that if the app finds a valid thumbnail in the movie folder, that movie will be skipped from the search (I am not sure if this feature is needed or not...).

Get ThumbGen!

December 08, 2009, 12:45:47 PM
Reply #14

mbojangles

Hey, that's great!  Looking forward to it.

For "Overwrite existing thumbnails", I think that's valuable.  Imagine a folder with 15 movies in it and ThumbGen has already processed it.  Now I've got a new movie added there.  I'd like to run ThumbGen and only update the new movie.

And the converse - Perhaps, someone has already gathered thumbnails (manually, for instance), but they'd like to see what's out there... perhaps refresh the collection.  Then I think it's good to offer them the replacement screen like you do now.