Author Topic: Newbie DVD Conversion Basics for WDTV.  (Read 34107 times)

September 09, 2010, 03:08:01 PM
Reply #30

neoculture

Use VLC (as your preview window) to confirm chapter and episode details .

I recommend ripping dvd to hdd then converting. Although it adds another step in the process you can better manipulate and test encoders and output files.  I don't use anything but Handbrake now so ripping to hdd is essential 4 me.  Handbrake will seperate episodes and chapters as well as include subtitles as required.

Hope this helps.

Hi twisty,

Yes, I realise that I could use a separate viewer to find splitting points for MKVToolnix, but I was trying to avoid that (hoping to find an all-in-one tool).

As for your comment on Handbrake, I must be missing something - I am already ripping the DVDs to HDD; the problem is in the structure of the data on the DVD. Instead of 6 episodes (with, say, 5 chapters) the DVD has one movie with 30 chapters and if I want to watch episode 2 (for example) the DVD player will skip to chapter 6 of the movie. Which means that when I rip the DVD I get 1 large file (which contains all 6 episodes) instead of 6 individual files.

I could use FairPlay2 (paid-for copy) to split the DVD file while ripping, but setup is lengthy (MakeMKV is, by comparison, simple to use since I am not worried about transcoding/compression - just point it to the DVD and start ripping). Since I have a *lot* of DVDs to go through (been collecting for a while), I am trying to minimise the number of steps (and time) I have to go through.

Thanks.

September 10, 2010, 11:32:41 PM
Reply #31

twisty

G'day neoculture,

I understand your dilema.  You can set Handbrake to convert a single chapter or any number of sequential chapters in a pgc (program chain or episode or movie).  I would try converting chapters 1-5 then 6-10 etc (with different file names of course).  I often do this when I'm having trouble with a dvd to test output quickly.  Handbrake offers a preview window but sometimes isn't long enough to identify frame rate, audio or interlacing errors.  Does this help?
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

September 12, 2010, 03:17:29 PM
Reply #32

neoculture

Thanks,

I'll try it during the week.

September 13, 2010, 03:55:49 PM
Reply #33

neoculture

Well, I tried a few things over the last few days and DVD Shrink was the easiest to use - Use it to re-author the DVD to an ISO, splitting the titles along the way, then run MakeMKV over the new ISO.  Works like a charm and is fairly fast to boost - quite a bit of the time lost to DVD Shrink is made up by the fact MakeMKV now reads a HDD-bound ISO.

Many thanks to all who helped me.

(now on to figure out the subtitle mistiming problem).

February 02, 2011, 07:14:18 AM
Reply #34

suezeeq12

wow twisty - awesome post!!!  Many thanks for the info!!!

was wondering if you may know the answer to these 2 questions since you've gained so much knowledge doing this:

1.)  If you convert to .iso and then burn a copy (as an .iso using ImgBurn) will any DVD player be able to recognize an .iso?  I've got 3 different brands of DVD players here but they are all the Walmart type - super cheap will play anything kind - so wasn't sure if the better ones will recognize an .iso?

2.)  You mention .vobs so I'll ask this - I was using a program as a trial and really liked it because it did batch conversions of files and made nice menus if you were converting something that you already ripped as an .mkv or .avi.  If I did the convert to dvd format on one of those files the result was a single .vob file.  In other programs they give you the VIDEO_TS file that has all the vobs in it and the rest of the stuff but this program just spit out one big .vob file.  Any idea what I do with that? 

Thanks in advance and thank you again for sharing your knowledge!

February 02, 2011, 07:34:27 PM
Reply #35

twisty

G'day suezeep, and thanks for your kind words.

1.)  If you convert to .iso and then burn a copy (as an .iso using ImgBurn) will any DVD player be able to recognize an .iso?  I've got 3 different brands of DVD players here but they are all the Walmart type - super cheap will play anything kind - so wasn't sure if the better ones will recognize an .iso? 

.iso is an image of a disk and is used by dvd burning programs to create a dvd with correct structure and files including .vob, .bup and .ifo.  You are simply creating a backup disc.  Any dvd player has to be able to play any (international) standard dvd otherwise it can't call itself a dvd player.  The limitation (standard) is 1gig max file size.  That's why you'll find multiple .vob for a single movie.  That may also partly answer your next question as well.

2.)  You mention .vobs so I'll ask this - I was using a program as a trial and really liked it because it did batch conversions of files and made nice menus if you were converting something that you already ripped as an .mkv or .avi.  If I did the convert to dvd format on one of those files the result was a single .vob file.  In other programs they give you the VIDEO_TS file that has all the vobs in it and the rest of the stuff but this program just spit out one big .vob file.  Any idea what I do with that?  

Terminology can create confusion.  You "rip" files from a disc.  Some programs rip AND repackage in one go like Makemkv (to .mkv) and dvdFab (to .iso).  I've not used a program that rips AND converts to .avi (why would you want .avi these days anyway?).  The .vob file is simply a container for the video stream and should work with any media player (NOT dvd player as they are restricted by file size, see above).  What do you do with it?  hhmmmm ... throw away your dvd player and use WDTV.

Hope this helps
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0