Poll

What is the best way to revive it?

use a USB with firmware
3 (20%)
Call WD for support
12 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 19, 2009, 10:40:33 PM

Author Topic: 1.01.12 Firmware BRICKING WD TV Live CAUTION  (Read 46478 times)

December 03, 2009, 03:43:51 PM
Read 46478 times

Whoheart

They've just added 1.01.12 on the official site

They call this a "critical update" fixing some sort of problem in the update manager.

Get it while its hot :)

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

MOD: I merged these five topics which are all the same.  Problems start below...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:46:46 PM by jayallan »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 03, 2009, 04:46:26 PM
Reply #1

synaptic

...And it comes through perfectly from the update manager on the WDTV...

December 03, 2009, 05:12:00 PM
Reply #2

Whoheart

I suspect, if some people had too slow internet connections so it took too long to download the update the machine might have fallen asleep? :)

I saw one guy on their official board claim that it bricked while he tried to download the update. Of course he might have been fibbing.

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 03, 2009, 05:49:03 PM
Reply #3

aitaix

I updated my firmware and now it says for me to insert a USB drive with firmware to recover my wdtv. I have tried putting the new firmware on a usb drive and it doesn't work. I tried changing the wdtvlive.ver to say 1.02.12 but that didn't work either.
This is a known issue and has been reported in the wdtv official forums here http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/tv_live/message-id/104#M104

December 03, 2009, 06:33:50 PM
Reply #4

Whoheart

Yikes - this is not good.

I have upgrade without problems, but I was holding my breath.

I wonder what the common denominator is.

What kind of net connection do you use? Wifi or cable?

December 03, 2009, 06:42:47 PM
Reply #5

CR

Just installed my Rosewill wireless USB N adapter and it picked up the new firmware and updated without issue.  Maybe this is to fix the issue where ppl are having to do hard resets to get things to play correctly again.

December 03, 2009, 06:50:16 PM
Reply #6

bullitt453

Several folks over at AVS are reporting freezing boxes after update.  Very scary stuff, especially since this update was supposed to fix the update manager!  I am without a TV at the moment (waiting on arrival of my new set, Samsung LN46B640), so I can't apply the update right now anyways.  Looks like that might be a good thing! :-\

December 03, 2009, 06:58:15 PM
Reply #7

davevi

I just downloaded via my wireless adapter the firmware released today, 03DEC09 and it completed, rebooted, and got stuck at the WD logo. I waited 15 minutes more on the logo screen (with no hard-drive activity seen) before hard resetting the box.

Now it is bricked!

There is a message to plug in a drive with the firmware but this isn't working.

I downloaded the latest firmware from the WD support site, unzipped it at the root level of my USB drive (the same drive I've been using with the device), did a power-off reset with the drive plugged in --and still won't do anything. --Pressing the HOME button also does nothing.

WD was is the fix?

P.S. I upgraded PERFECTLY yesterday to 1.01.11 via the same wireless connection.

This sucks! My box is 1 day old. I've owned the original WD TV for a long time and NEVER had a problem!

December 03, 2009, 07:47:53 PM
Reply #8

Whoheart

Yeah, someone posted a picture they had taken of the screen they get.

That's scary.

Now I'm thankful nothing bad happened here - but do i dare update in the future??

I wonder why it worked for some, but not for all... Different file server mirrors? Its corrupt in on place? Pal/Ntsc difference? Oh well.

December 03, 2009, 08:08:22 PM
Reply #9

silvereyes

This has been posted on the avsforum as well.  Many of us updated to the new firmware and the device froze.  It gives an error message, and asked to insert a USB drive with firmware to recover WDTV. But when i put the USB drive in, nothing happened.  The reset button don't work either.  I've updated via network, not sure how the others did their upgrade.  What is the next step?

December 03, 2009, 08:09:23 PM
Reply #10

ssane13

I just downloaded via my wireless adapter the firmware released today, 03DEC09 and it completed, rebooted, and got stuck at the WD logo. I waited 15 minutes more on the logo screen (with no hard-drive activity seen) before hard resetting the box.

Now it is bricked!

I downloaded the latest firmware from the WD support site, unzipped it at the root level of my USB drive (the same drive I've been using with the device), did a power-off reset with the drive plugged in --and still won't do anything. --Pressing the HOME button also does nothing.

WD was is the fix?

P.S. I upgraded PERFECTLY yesterday to 1.01.11 via the same wireless connection.

This sucks! My box is 1 day old. I've owned the original WD TV for a long time and NEVER had a problem!

+1 ...
I just updated it and now it is bricked..!!! Anyone with a serial cable to check what is going on?

December 03, 2009, 08:10:48 PM
Reply #11

ssane13

This has been posted on the avsforum as well.  Many of us updated to the new firmware and the device froze.  It gives an error message, and asked to insert a USB drive with firmware to recover WDTV. But when i put the USB drive in, nothing happened.  The reset button don't work either.  I've updated via network, not sure how the others did their upgrade.  What is the next step?

Quote from: davevi on Today at 06:58:15 PM

Now it is bricked!

WD was is the fix?

+1 ...
I just updated it and now it is bricked..!!! Anyone with a serial cable to check what is going on?

December 03, 2009, 08:16:16 PM
Reply #12

dracula5

It just killed my unit also, have few more days to take it back to the store. I wonder when WD decided to take down this new update before it kills all of the units.

December 03, 2009, 08:37:42 PM
Reply #13

bluedevil229

Yep.  Same here.  Un-fucking-believable.

December 03, 2009, 09:00:47 PM
Reply #14

aitaix

What kind of net connection do you use? Wifi or cable?

Ethernet

I thought it was because I had wdlxtv installed but I guess not.