Poll

What is the best way to revive it?

use a USB with firmware
3 (20%)
Call WD for support
12 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 19, 2009, 10:40:33 PM

Author Topic: 1.01.12 Firmware BRICKING WD TV Live CAUTION  (Read 46541 times)

December 17, 2009, 02:52:07 AM
Reply #90

stevep94

Hi all!   :D

New to the forums because my brand spanking new WD TV Live has arrived today!!  ;D

But now I've had a look at these forums and suddenly I'm terrified of updating the firmware in case it bricks my new toy!?!?!  ???

Whats the best advice at the moment - do the update or not??

Thanks for any advice guys.......

SteveP
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:40:06 AM by stevep94 »

December 17, 2009, 05:44:01 AM
Reply #91

wiiBox

Hi stevep94!

Welcome to the forum and the WDTV Live!  I hope you won't be too disappointed.  ;)

Generally, firmware 1.01.11 is okay to update to - presumably your box has the launch firmware.  Probably best to update via usb flash drive.  Obviously, you don't want to touch .12.

There are only a couple major differences that I've found.  There is a new option to disable/enable fade effect between menus, and subtitles embedded in .mp4 files are now supported.

Good luck!

December 17, 2009, 05:45:16 AM
Reply #92

Headcase_Fargone

Depends where you got it I suppose.  If you bought it at BestBuy here in the States and can easily return it should the unthinkable happen I'd say go for it.  But if you live in some third world country like Canada from a shop with crumby return policies I'd avoid it for now.

They've supposedly fixed the bricking issue, but I remain skeptical.

December 17, 2009, 06:44:18 AM
Reply #93

stevep94

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm actually in the UK and bought it from an on-line retailer so I really dont want to be messing around sending it back!

Couple of quick questions - why would I want to use a usb flash drive to do the update?? - isnt there a utility on the machine itself since its networkable!?!?
Also, where can I get the firmware updates from?

Thanks again.....

SteveP

December 17, 2009, 06:55:31 AM
Reply #94

stevep94

Just read this on the WD website:

Follow up to our post of 4 Dec 09 regarding problems with the firmware update 1.01.12 for
WD TV Live HD Media Players

We have tracked the problem to the Internet update process for WD TV Live firmware version 1.01.12. The firmware version is functioning normally, the problem intermittently occurred when using the Internet to update WD TV Live to version 1.01.12. If you've successfully installed update 1.01.12, there's nothing further you need to do.

The way I read this is that if you use a USB flash drive to do the update as opposed to using the on-line method - everything should be OK!?!?! - Can anyone confirm this or should I stay well clear and stick with the .11 firmware until a definite fix is released???

Thanks......

SteveP

December 17, 2009, 02:43:07 PM
Reply #95

wiiBox

The update is in the same page you saw that notice.  On the right hand side there is a button that says download now.

FW .12 has been pulled, so unless you get it from from some clandestine website, there's no point is worring about that one.

Personally, I would reset the box with the side reset button before flashing to .11, only to be on the safe side.  But remember that you need to reconfigure the box afterwards.

Good luck!

December 18, 2009, 10:31:13 PM
Reply #96

usquebaugh

I'm new to the forum and so far I am very impressed with the WD TV Live. I had been wanting to get one for a while but I was waiting for the Ethernet capability. I connected the ethernet cable today for the first time without any USB drive attached and it automatically let me know a firmware update was available. Presumably, because there were no drives attached, the update may have gone well but after reading all of the negative feedback, I will stay at 1.01.11 indefinitely until I can upgrade with confidence.

My one frustration so far is how long it takes to navigate through a movie to a specific spot. There appear to be only 2 speeds. It makes me yearn for a mouse and a drag on the "location bar". BUT I honestly haven't had time to read through the information or to see if there is a better way to navigate. If there isn't though, that's something I'd like to see addressed. Other than that, the unit is sleek, tiny, quiet and loads media quickly with a slick menu interface. It's played all of the movie and music formats that I use on a regular basis and through at it. Nice!

I live in Canada and found a great deal through New Egg last week for the unit bundled with a Passport drive and free shipping! The fact that I can't just easily run out to Best Buy and swap it if "bricked" means I won't be risking the f/w upgrade any time soon. I'm anxious to read more about this in the coming weeks. It's been a while since I was excited by a new tech toy. I hope Western Digital understands how disappointing it can be to have their newly purchased unit bricked. They'll definitely lose some formerly faithful consumers and that's unfortunate. I hope all this negative attention leads to a much more fully tested and worthwhile future update....because it really is a nice little unit and when not bricked, does what it was designed to do very well.

December 19, 2009, 03:24:51 PM
Reply #97

Whoheart

My one frustration so far is how long it takes to navigate through a movie to a specific spot. There appear to be only 2 speeds. It makes me yearn for a mouse and a drag on the "location bar". BUT I honestly haven't had time to read through the information or to see if there is a better way to navigate.

There isn't much - the FF/REW is falling a bit short. If you are in FF/REW mode you can press the next/previous buttons and skip ahead 10 minutes, but thats about it.

Many people wish better navigation. There is a suggestion on the offical WD boards, you could register and vote in favor of it, here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/ideapage/blog-id/idea/article-id/23
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 20, 2009, 12:38:37 PM
Reply #98

usquebaugh

Thanks for the tip about how to skip 10 minutes ahead. Meanwhile, I have logged my vote with the WD Community as you suggested. Thx for the TIP and the heads up. I hope it leads to the suggested enhancement!

February 10, 2010, 08:49:21 PM
Reply #99

Whoheart

Perhaps we should "unsticky" this one by now, eh?
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

March 28, 2013, 12:39:19 PM
Reply #100

bozint

It's been a while since I've posted.

I'll reply on this post, because it came up high up on Google search.

My WDTV Live (1st Gen Gen) gave up on me earlier (luckily temporarily, although I thought it died).

It updated successfully to 1.06.43_V a couple of months back through LAN. Generally it worked fine, all was well (mostly), but I didn't really like YouTube Leanback, and what I hated, was that it kept renaming my folder.jpg into folder.jpg (but like a folder icon which was made Read Only and I had a tough time deleting them). I am using mostly my 1TB last gen Passport and an Iomega Prestige 2TB USB3.0.

The renaming of the folder.jpg really bugged me, I could live with YT Leanback, so I decided to downgrade to an earlier version. I keep several FWs, so I went for 1.06.15_V (55.3MB unpacked). I used a Kingston 32GB DT111 USB3.0 thumb drive, with other files on it. Started the upgrade (downgrade) and switched the TV to another input. After a while, went back to the WDTV input and saw a static image of WD logo and WDTV HD Media Player text. Remote didn't work, so I unplugged. Plugged it back in, and then I got the "Insert USB with firmware...." image. I tried several FW's to no avail. At this point I read several forum posts and thought the unit was bricked and that was it.

As a last measure, I took another SanDisk 2GB USB, formatted it as FAT32 and put the 1.06.43_V on it. I unplugged the power, plugged the USB, and plugged the power back on. Nothing happened, I again got the "Insert USB with firmware...." image. I thought hell, that was it. 3+ years it served well every single day. Frustrated, I switched to watch some TV, and read some forums in the meantime. Wanting to try something else, I switched back to the WDTV input, and to my surprise, the WDTV was at its homescreen. Working as usual, with the 1.06.43_V firmware on it. The LAN was unplugged all this time. Connected the LAN, went through Automatic setup and all was working well and I have a working WDTV now. Happy times.

What sucks is, it already renamed 2 of my folder.jpg's, it progresses with time... I guess this is goodbye to thumbnails and hello List structure.

Sorry for the long post.