Author Topic: 1080P streaming  (Read 2425 times)

December 03, 2009, 03:19:28 AM
Read 2425 times

cstocks

Hi, I have just got the streamer and thought that the 100mbps card on it with my 1gbps lan would cope with 1080p films no problem (say a throughput of 40mbps max). The player works brilliant with everything else I may add.

It appears that the way the SMB protocol works it has a limitation of about 20mbps, this is not quick enough for 1080p (they work perfect over USB). Streaming from XP becomes jerky with audio dropouts at 1080p.

I know there is currently a hack out there to intercept the SMB shares and redirect them to a NFS protocol which manages a much higher transfer rate but it may invalidate any warranty on the kit if you go messing with firmware mods. Not sure I want to do that just yet.

Does anyone know if there is a planned mod so that 1080p streaming will work? I can't believe its that hard to mod the SMB within the box so that the throughput is increased (increase packet size or reduce time between transmissions etc) and maybe have a registry modification for a Microsoft OS (there are lots of mods that can be done but the other end needs to work that way too.

Assuming that this is not as easy as it sounds, what other solutions are there for streaming 1080p over LAN to the box?

Regards
Craig

December 22, 2009, 01:18:28 AM
Reply #1

astraub

Hi

use a good DLNA server. They are made for that purpose.

Greetings
Andreas

December 23, 2009, 10:11:37 PM
Reply #2

dmulligan

The audio dropouts may just be the WDTV and have nothing to do with streaming.  I've had to drop down to 720p for the audio dropping issue.