Author Topic: WDL plays file on USB but can't see the same file on HD  (Read 1574 times)

December 02, 2009, 08:25:59 AM
Read 1574 times

hnQ

Hi,
I searched the forum, some people has similar problem but with diff. OS and setup so I can't relate to my WDL problem.
Here is mine: WDL plays file on USB but can't "see/play" the same file on HD. It either said "no media file" or "can't play this format". I noticed 80% of these files are the new ones I just download after WDL beeing setup. WDL plays other old files on HD ok so far. My setup is below (in the signature).
Question: + how to fix?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:46:00 AM by hnQ »
XP<---DLinkDI624 router/wired--->WDLive/bRad--->OnkyoAmplifier/compsit--->regSonyTV/composit

"Workgroup" [checked]
"DDS" [checked]

December 02, 2009, 09:51:14 AM
Reply #1

Whoheart

Have you set the access permissions on the PC?

I couldn't see it before i allowed user "everyone" to access the folders (XP)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 02, 2009, 12:11:07 PM
Reply #2

hnQ

Have you set the access permissions on the PC?

I couldn't see it before i allowed user "everyone" to access the folders (XP)

I can access to the PC and the folders fine.
The problem is that about 25% of the folders will not show the media file inside the folder, or if it is shown then it can't be played.
What is user "everyone", is it another user account? This is one man PC (I only have "admin" and Guest" in the user accounts). Where can I create or modify it in XP? I tried.
Are you talking about changing "Workgroup" name to "everyone". Let me know.
XP<---DLinkDI624 router/wired--->WDLive/bRad--->OnkyoAmplifier/compsit--->regSonyTV/composit

"Workgroup" [checked]
"DDS" [checked]

December 02, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
Reply #3

Whoheart

Well, I don't know if it differs from language and xp version.

But I right click on a folder and select properties, then there is a 'security' tab which lists users with access to the folders, i click add, type "everybody" (without ") and click ok -and ok. It then sets the permissions on files and folders below that point.
If the live is connected i disconnect it (just press home) and return, and that worked for me.

Thats with a direct share probably different if its a streamer.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.