Author Topic: ISO vs VOB vs MKV vs MP4 vs etc...  (Read 8346 times)

December 02, 2009, 07:19:32 AM
Read 8346 times

AgnosticAnarch

I was wondering if anyone has seen a big difference between the various filetypes and what everyone suggests for DVD ripping.

I was getting ready to convert all my TV episodes over, and I was ecstatic to find out that the WDTV already recognizes and plays ISO files. They looked okay to me, and that would save me a bunch of time... but if other formats are better, I may put the effort into re-ripping DVDs or converting.

Sorry if this discussion is old hat for some of you. Previously I had used DVDShrink to make ISO files of DVDs just for burning purposes.

Thanks!
~Agno

December 02, 2009, 12:25:32 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This has really been discussed to death already.  I suggest you search this forum for pros/cons :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 02, 2009, 01:07:37 PM
Reply #2

AgnosticAnarch

Yeah, I've been reading them all for the last couple of days. It'd probably be a lot better to have one document written up and stickied in this forum. But, if there is not a consensus on this matter, I guess that wouldn't be realistic. Maybe it's time to look into using Wiki as a method for sharing this information instead...

December 02, 2009, 02:31:49 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey,

I think it would be a great idea

Why don't you research it, write it, and post it.   :)

I will even make it a sticky!

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 04, 2009, 05:29:11 AM
Reply #4

D.vobre

• Personal Text
    http://tierussianwoman.w-ru.com/ - russia women bride
    • russia girls for marriage
So. Ive downloaded various hentai videos, but they are all in .mkv format. My Xbox 360 can access Windows Media Center so I can run movies on my TV, but it doesnt support .mkv format. Is there any way I can convert the files to WMV format so they will work?

I dont want to pay for any special software though. Thanks

December 04, 2009, 01:07:07 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
So. Ive downloaded various hentai videos, but they are all in .mkv format. My Xbox 360 can access Windows Media Center so I can run movies on my TV, but it doesn't support .mkv format. Is there any way I can convert the files to WMV format so they will work?

I dont want to pay for any special software though. Thanks

MKV is the preffered format for all video going forward.  The WDTV will play them just fine.

January 09, 2010, 11:41:27 PM
Reply #6

jimnilson

I cannot get WD TV Live to play MKV files, do I have a lemon?

January 10, 2010, 11:52:09 AM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I cannot get WD TV Live to play MKV files, do I have a lemon?

Yes