Poll

Was 1.01.11 a worthwhile update or was it not worth the problems it caused?

Worthwhile update
4 (44.4%)
Not worth the problems it caused
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: 1.01.11 - Your opinion  (Read 1858 times)

December 01, 2009, 12:26:08 PM
Read 1858 times

yamatosoul

Since most people go to forums like this one to address issues and problems, I think it's normal that we're seeing much more negative reviews than positive ones.  Hopefully, this simple poll will allow people to make an educated decision on whether or not to go with 1.01.11.  Thanks for participating.

December 01, 2009, 01:51:39 PM
Reply #1

Whoheart

Well, I plugged the device in, turned it on - and it immediately asked me i wanted to upgrade (having phoned home to ask if there was a new version)

I just let it. So i have no idea what the previous firmware was like.

And so far I haven't seen anything to suggest you shouldn't upgrade :)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 01, 2009, 02:07:39 PM
Reply #2

Whoheart

On the other hand, it has suddenly stopped playing several files types!
Very odd...

However, resetting to factory defaults restored that.

This means that the device can somehow get confused and write rubbish to its memory which prevents it from playing some types? Guess they need to clean up their code a bit ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:13:54 PM by Whoheart »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 01, 2009, 02:26:19 PM
Reply #3

yamatosoul

On the other hand, it has suddenly stopped playing several files types!
Very odd...

However, resetting to factory defaults restored that.

This means that the device can somehow get confused and write rubbish to its memory which prevents it from playing some types? Guess they need to clean up their code a bit ;)
Mine stopped playing ISO's and VOB's all of a sudden, so, I had to do a hard reset too.  If you experience other issues (i.e. audio sync with MKV), you may want to check this forum for bugs that others are experiencing.  And if you want, you can reinstall the original firmware.

December 03, 2009, 06:23:20 PM
Reply #4

CR

How do you hard reset?

December 03, 2009, 06:35:00 PM
Reply #5

Whoheart

How do you hard reset?

Probably turn the power off.

December 03, 2009, 06:41:33 PM
Reply #6

CR

I thought there might be some sort of reset button other then doing a hard power off.. something that restores things to factory defaults or something.

December 03, 2009, 09:29:24 PM
Reply #7

yamatosoul

I thought there might be some sort of reset button other then doing a hard power off.. something that restores things to factory defaults or something.
Look on the left side of the unit next to the USB jack.  There's a small pin hole there.  That's it.