Author Topic: Dual band or single?  (Read 1465 times)

November 30, 2009, 02:29:04 PM
Read 1465 times

yamatosoul

I'm using a Netgear G router and a Belkin adaptor for streaming and wanted to improve performance.  Right now, I'm able to wirelessly stream most videos quite well with exception of 1080P files and occassional hiccups with VOB's.  I was looking at the D-Link DIR-825 because of its dual band (2.4 and 5GHz) capabilities.  But if I buy one, I would also need to invest in a dual band adaptor as well (the Belkin is only 2.4GHz).  Can someone tell me if the performance improvements are worth the additional costs?  Also, if you already have a working dual band set up, I'd appreciate some recommendations as well. Thank you.

December 02, 2009, 07:40:20 AM
Reply #1

Headcase_Fargone

Whether you need dual band or not really depends on your environment.  I think what you're looking for is channel bonding.  Dual band means the router can handle 2.4/5ghz bands, some simultaneously, some not.  Channel bonding is taking two wireless channels (say, 1 and 6 in the 2.4ghz band) and using them both as one big channel.

5ghz is the way to go if you want to do channel bonding (2.4ghz only has three non-overlapping channels, two of which will be used in channel bonding) since it has something like 24 non-overlapping channels.  Distance (and obstructions between) from router to WDTV is going to be a big factor, as well as your environment, ie single family residence or apartment.

If you're looking to stream 1080p though I really wouldn't recommend any type of wireless.  It's just not a reliable enough connection.  Too many dropped/damaged packets, bandwidth spikes/dips, etc.

December 02, 2009, 09:17:11 AM
Reply #2

yamatosoul

Whether you need dual band or not really depends on your environment.  I think what you're looking for is channel bonding.  Dual band means the router can handle 2.4/5ghz bands, some simultaneously, some not.  Channel bonding is taking two wireless channels (say, 1 and 6 in the 2.4ghz band) and using them both as one big channel.

5ghz is the way to go if you want to do channel bonding (2.4ghz only has three non-overlapping channels, two of which will be used in channel bonding) since it has something like 24 non-overlapping channels.  Distance (and obstructions between) from router to WDTV is going to be a big factor, as well as your environment, ie single family residence or apartment.

If you're looking to stream 1080p though I really wouldn't recommend any type of wireless.  It's just not a reliable enough connection.  Too many dropped/damaged packets, bandwidth spikes/dips, etc.
Thank you for the great info!