Author Topic: Bug 1.04.10_V Buzzing from speakers after firmware upgrade  (Read 3221 times)

December 15, 2010, 11:50:40 PM
Read 3221 times

bobscott

I have installed update 1.04.10_v as requested by the system. After installation and reboot, I now get a continual loud buzzing from the speakers. I have tried different speakers, but no difference. The noise is too loud to use the player. I downgraded to 1.03.49, but no change. The noise remains constant. then I tried to rollback to 1.03.29 but with the same results.
From the start my player always had 2 loud speaker buzz on boot. the first for about 3 seconds and the second for about 6 seconds. The buzzing always went away and stayed away and the unit functioned perfectly until the firmware upgrade.
The problem was definitely caused by the the upgrade to 1.04.10. I have searched the web and found that changing the colours from 8 bit to 12 bit caused the buzzing. I tried this change but only found that the pitch of the buzzing changed, and nothing else. What can I do? I am really mad at WD for releasing an update that has done this. I now have a WD media player that I used to really like. Can anyone please advise me what to to next?

December 17, 2010, 02:57:33 AM
Reply #1

Tommyblood

Same problem here, after the 1.04.10_V upgrade speakers seem to be at max vollume buzzing badly. I got my WDTV LIVE connected directly to TV via HDMI. This definitly needs some bugfix!!

December 29, 2010, 10:22:33 PM
Reply #2

JustinGN

Also confirming this bug, though with additional info:

The bug seems to manifest on AAC soundtracks, possibly any lossy soundtrack.  I went through my collection and found that HD DVD rips with DD+ played fine via bitstream, as did DD and DTS tracks.  My anime files with AAC, however, flipped out and would randomly buzz *in addition to* decreasing the overall volume of the soundtrack (which makes me think the two are related).

If you're getting buzzing, squeals, and other high frequency noises during audio and/or video playback, check what the codec being used is, and report back here.  Thus far, I've had it happen with AAC soundtracks only, both stereo and surround.

January 09, 2011, 10:59:35 PM
Reply #3

Robbit

For the anime I watched on my live (the ones I have tested so far), all the
ones with AAC audio plays just fine. But Vorbis, I get random crackling or beeps while watching. I would try to ignore it but after a while, the sound and video aren't synced up anymore. I'm going to rollback the firmware 1.03.49_V or 1.02.21_V to see if this fixes the problem.

January 14, 2011, 12:20:25 PM
Reply #4

bfinfrock

I too have this problem with the sound being muddled. I tried hdmi direct to tv, composite to dvd to tv componet, and composite to reciever to tv with audio coming out of reciever speakers. Sound is like it is being played at max volume with alot of distortion.

I like to listen to Pandora and Live 365 and it makes it unlistenable.

Hope WD comes up with a solution.

February 07, 2011, 05:32:53 AM
Reply #5

billy111

I habe the same Problem

bought 1 year ago three WD TV Live (donīt know any more the firmware) , two of them are connected via Composite Audio and HDMI
one of them is connected via optical sound and HDMI, this one has no Problem

The two, they are connected via composite Audio are still unusebel, since the first firmwareupdate, there ist so different, what they are playing, mp3, dvd iso, ore different avi

The buzzing sound is in the back when the wd tv live starts.

while the WD TV LIVE starts, the buzzing sounds higher and lower and ist still constand, when the home screen is up

ANYONE WHO CAN HELP?

Thanks
Eike (from Germany)

March 07, 2011, 03:58:39 AM
Reply #6

bos

same here... >:(...the buzzing stops if I downgrade to older version 1.02.21. I have written to wd support but they said that my unit could be malfunctioning or that i have bad cables. After saying that the problem goes away if I downgrade, nothing sensible ever came back :-\