Author Topic: Why won't my MKVs play?  (Read 8577 times)

February 22, 2009, 11:55:48 AM
Read 8577 times

beergut100

Hi
I bought this device a couple of weeks ago and really like it; however, I have been unable to get lossless MKV to play.

I used the following method to create the MKVs

1. extract m2ts from blu-ray and demux with tsmuxer
   2. create subtitles from sup files with Suprip
   3. perform any necessary audio conversion with eac3to
   4. remux with makemkv

The main reason I have to create an MKV is because my wife is a bit deaf and needs the subtitles, which don't work if you just play the m2ts. Does anyone have any idea why this method isn't working (they do play on my PC)? I get an error message when I try to play in WDTV saying "unsupported file type". Also, the mt2s files play fine on WDTV before demuxing/remuxing. All I am doing, in effect, is putting the same files in a different container and adding subs.
 ??? ??? ??? ???

February 23, 2009, 02:05:12 AM
Reply #1

beergut100

Hi
I bought this device a couple of weeks ago and really like it; however, I have been unable to get lossless MKV to play.

I used the following method to create the MKVs

1. extract m2ts from blu-ray and demux with tsmuxer
   2. create subtitles from sup files with Suprip
   3. perform any necessary audio conversion with eac3to
   4. remux with makemkv

The main reason I have to create an MKV is because my wife is a bit deaf and needs the subtitles, which don't work if you just play the m2ts. Does anyone have any idea why this method isn't working (they do play on my PC)? I get an error message when I try to play in WDTV saying "unsupported file type". Also, the mt2s files play fine on WDTV before demuxing/remuxing. All I am doing, in effect, is putting the same files in a different container and adding subs.
 ??? ??? ??? ???

Sorry, for step 4 I use mkvmerge, not makemkv

February 23, 2009, 03:29:54 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
You are missing the step where you encode your video into an MKV.   Simply wrapping a ts file into an MKV wrapper is like renaming an .mp3 into a .doc  It won't open in Word.   :o

You need to use a program like MeGui or RipBot264 (both free) to encode the video into a compliant MKV file.  Be aware this will take about 8-16 hours for a 2 hr 1080p file on a dual core machine.   Do a search on BluRay to MKV and you will find lots of guides on how to do this.  Be sure to stay in spec and do not use too many reference frames.  :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

February 24, 2009, 10:03:27 AM
Reply #3

beergut100

Thanks for the reply. I had actually just figured this out. WDTV will not read vc-1 files in an mkv container. I have used ripbot264 to convert to h264 files with good results - but it's sooo slow! Presumably if you have a blu-ray containing avc video rather than vc-1, then the conversion step will be unnecessary (as avc is 264). I have none to try it with at the moment, but this would seem to make sense to me. I will try it as soon as I can get my hands on one and report back.

Thanks again

Steve

February 26, 2009, 07:16:47 AM
Reply #4

Troopsar

I have a problem with playing MKV files. When I want to play a MKV file my WDTV turns to black. Nothing is happening. The files are
x.264
1920x1080P 16x9
23,976fps
AC3
encoder Maupzilla

I bought my WDTV tree days ago and I am rather new on HD so if anyone can help me great !
Is there a standard set of MKV settings for MKV files so the WDTV can play the videos

with regards,
Nico

February 26, 2009, 01:44:27 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Troopsar,

Try a few other MKVs first, but it sounds like you have a bad WDTV.   The WDTV has trouble playing some MKV files if they are not encoded properly, but the symptoms are usually stuttering then locking up.  Not a black screen. 

I have over 500 MKVs and my WDTV plays them all fine.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

February 27, 2009, 05:44:03 AM
Reply #6

heiner.bremer

I can confirm Troopsar's black screen problem in conjunction with not properly encoded files. Happened to me when I "converted" mp4 files to mkv where the mp4 files were rendered in a format that the WDTV doesn't seem to recognize.

As mkv is only a container there are no standard settings. My workflow is to render as Quicktime h264 @ high profile 5.1 - mp4s and mkvs playback just fine...
WDTV firmware 1.01.02, connected via HDMI (video) and Toslink (sound)

February 27, 2009, 11:16:25 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Good to know.  I had not encountered that.   I encode everything with MeGUI at profile 4.1. 

February 28, 2009, 02:27:41 AM
Reply #8

Troopsar

Hi There,

It looks like the WDTV doesn't regonize my passport (250 Gb) hd. When I put the MKV movie on a 15 Gb 1,8 inch HD the films runs.
I'am really confused.
Also thanks for the support. You're great.
With regards,

Nico

February 28, 2009, 03:27:09 PM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Nico,

Try reformatting the HD to NTFS and have the WDTV rescan it.  Sometimes there is a glitch.

March 02, 2009, 01:11:42 AM
Reply #10

beergut100

Thanks for the reply. I had actually just figured this out. WDTV will not read vc-1 files in an mkv container. I have used ripbot264 to convert to h264 files with good results - but it's sooo slow! Presumably if you have a blu-ray containing avc video rather than vc-1, then the conversion step will be unnecessary (as avc is 264). I have none to try it with at the moment, but this would seem to make sense to me. I will try it as soon as I can get my hands on one and report back.

Thanks again

Steve
Nope, didn't work. Tried demuxing Tropic Thunder m2ts (which is avc rather than vc-1), converting subs to srt, placing AVC, Audio and srt in mkvmerge. It wouldn't play on WDTV; or on my PC for that matter! It's not a big problem, just means I will have to convert rather than just demux/remux. Is Megui any quicker than ripbot264? It has been taking about 18 hours to convert each vid with ripbot.

March 17, 2009, 01:07:07 AM
Reply #11

chanfm

Hi All,

I can play mkv files on wdtv if they are, say, less than 15 Gb but find that there are problems playing mkv files which are larger than that.  The picture will freeze somewhere into the movie or there will stuttering, judder, etc.

Is that normal?

March 17, 2009, 01:09:58 PM
Reply #12

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Nope, didn't work. Tried demuxing Tropic Thunder m2ts (which is avc rather than vc-1), converting subs to srt, placing AVC, Audio and srt in mkvmerge. It wouldn't play on WDTV; or on my PC for that matter! It's not a big problem, just means I will have to convert rather than just demux/remux. Is Megui any quicker than ripbot264? It has been taking about 18 hours to convert each vid with ripbot.

They are a about the same speed wise.  I prefer MeGUI but it is personal preference.   

March 17, 2009, 01:12:22 PM
Reply #13

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hi All,

I can play mkv files on wdtv if they are, say, less than 15 Gb but find that there are problems playing mkv files which are larger than that.  The picture will freeze somewhere into the movie or there will stuttering, judder, etc.

Is that normal?

It has nothing to do with how big the file size is.  I have 25GB files that are 1080p and play flawlessly.  If you download files you will find that many MKV movie files were encoded improperly.  Especially 1080p files. You are probably having reference frame issues.  Get a free copy of MediaInfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en and test the files that are not working. Post the reports it generates here on a couple of the files and we will troubleshoot it for you.

April 06, 2009, 01:40:34 PM
Reply #14

nogames

Hi All,

Is that normal?

I have the same experiance. Right know I am trying to change the bitrate from 23-23 Mbps to 15 Mbps to see if this helps. I have tried downsizing to 720p and 8 Mpbs. This works great.

But I would like to have full-hd instead. I will report back. Conversion takes 8-12 hours  :(