Author Topic: Bug: 1.03.01 Audio and Subtitles issues  (Read 3672 times)

November 27, 2009, 03:27:07 AM
Read 3672 times

Ruca

Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie to WD TV forum.
I don't know if I'm placing this topic on the right place, but here it goes…
I've acquired a new WD TV 3 months ago, and everything was working fine until I’ve try to read some MKV files. Some of these MKV files work fine but others don’t have any kind of audio support.
On the setup, I’ve the audio configuration set to digital, but no sound when playing the file. This situation is identically to some MP4 files which also don’t have any sound at all.
There’s also an issue which happens with subtitles with the extension .sub. No subtitles appear at all. But working fine with .srt subtitles.
I’ve the latest version of the firmware installed (1.03.01).
The most funny thing about this is that, yesterday I’ve tested the same files with a brand new O!Play from ASUStek, just coming out of the box, no firmware update, the same television, and guess what…
Everything worked perfectly without even to update the firmware to the newest version.
My question is, if the people from WD are planning to release a new version of the firmware which can help me to solve some of this issues?

Thank you once again.

Best regards,

PS – I’m very happy with WD TV functionalities and I’m sure that people from WD will cover these issues in a blink of an eye.

November 27, 2009, 04:47:32 AM
Reply #1

Ron[NL]

• WDTV Movie Sheet Generator
Regarding the sound issue : have you checked the files that play no sound (through your TV ??) with mediainfo ? http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
If not, please do so. If the audio stream of the files is a DTS stream, please search the forum. Topic is covered dozens of time.

Regarding the subtitle issue: are you using internal *.sub or external ? Please try both. I don't use *.sub so never experienced your problem.

According to :

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=KRloa*Nj&p_lva=&p_li=&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=2.246&p_prods=208%2C246&p_cats=0&p_hidden_prods=&prod_lvl1=208&prod_lvl2=246&cat_lvl1=0&p_search_text=2698&srch_btn_submit=%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0Search%C2%A0%C2%A0%C2%A0&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_fnl

*.sub is supported..

WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Showcase v2 OSD Mod

Philips 40PFL8605H, Sitecom WL-351

Trust HU-5440 USB Hub
WDTV MSG 1.7.0,  TheTvDBv3.0 TVSheetGenerator - rev 5.4.1

December 01, 2009, 03:47:51 AM
Reply #2

Ruca

Hello Ron,

Thank you for your support.
I have checked the files that play no sound with mediainfo.
Here's the report:

File 1:
Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Duration                         : 2h 26mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 1.54 GiB (19%)
Language                         : English

File 2:
Audio
ID                               : 3
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                         : ac-3
Duration                         : 2h 9mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 357 MiB (45%)

I hope this was what you were asking...
Now my question still remains. Does WD TV firmware last version, supports this kind of audio configuration?

Thank you once again

December 01, 2009, 08:55:40 AM
Reply #3

Ron[NL]

WDTV will never play DTS audio stream through TV speakers. Doesn't matter which firmware version you have. The device can however pass through DTS sound via optical cable but you need an external receiver/amplifier that can decode DTS.

In other words, to hear the DTS stream from file 1, you need external receiver/amplifier.

Regarding file 2, I have no idea why the AC-3 audio stream doesn't/shouldn't  play. It's within specs of device.

Bye the way, I don't know If you know, but if your files have more than 1 audio stream (check via mediainfo), you can switch between them via the option button on your remote !

Trust HU-5440 USB Hub

December 01, 2009, 09:21:20 AM
Reply #4

Ruca

Hello again,

Thank you Ron once again for your comments.

Regarding the second file, it only has one audio stream. I’ve already tried to switch between via the option button on the remote. But nothing happens.
Considering the first file, I was expecting more like a solution from WD rather than a simple “WDTV will never play DTS audio stream through TV speakers”. Especially because after testing  O!Play from ASUStek with the same files, everything worked perfectly…
As a far as I can understand, I will never be able to play sound on such files, unless via optical cable or maybe switch my WDTV to a O!Play.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

December 01, 2009, 10:42:50 AM
Reply #5

Ron[NL]

The DTS sound issue was a big issue for a lot of users. That's probably why the WDTV Live player and the WDTV 2nd generation (search this forum) do support DTS downmix.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:41:19 PM by Ron[NL] »

Trust HU-5440 USB Hub